Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More movies like Texas Chainsaw, Toolbox Murders, House 1000 Corpses, etc.???

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I ashamed to say I am now just starting to seriously delve into the horror/thriller genre. I now need some help in finding the good ones. I enjoy more of the disturbing side of horror movies (as stated in the title) and would appreciate any help in that direction. I really do not care for the Freddy/Jason type of cartoonish horror. Any recs are appreciated. Thanks and take care!
Old 04-26-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out Haute Tension/High Tension/Switchblade Romance. It's going to open in the US here pretty soon I believe.
Old 04-26-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
House of the dead
jeepers creepers 1 and 2
wrong turn
resident evil 1 and 2
28 days later
dawn of the dead

there is more but it's all I can think about right now.
Old 04-27-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Romero's Living Dead Trilogy
Pet Semetery
Zombie
Old 04-27-05, 06:28 AM
Banned

Dawn of the Dead (Original)
Night of the Living Dead
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original or remake, not sure which one you've seen)
Halloween
The Evil Dead
Darkman
Hellraiser
Horror of Dracula
Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare (I know you said no Freddy or Jason, but these two are actually horror movies and are very effective.)
Tales From the Crypt: Demon Night
Old 04-27-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Freaks - Not so much a horror movie, but definitely disturbing.

The Evil Dead - I'm in the minority that dislikes the two campy sequels. The original is still the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Alone in the Dark - From the mid-80s, with Jack Palance and Martin Landau. Fun movie!
Old 04-27-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Se7en
Session 9
Videodrome
Black Christmas
Last House on the Left
Exorcist III
Old 04-27-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the tips fellas. I will add the ones I have not seen to my blockbuster queue.
Old 04-27-05, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Check out Haute Tension/High Tension/Switchblade Romance. It's going to open in the US here pretty soon I believe.
don't give your money to Lions Gate over the censoring/dubbing of High Tension - just buy or rent the uncut import DVD's that are floating around the internet.
Old 04-27-05, 10:31 AM
Banned

They better put out an NC-17/Unrated disc of High Tension, or else...I'll...I'll...well I don't know what I'll do, but they better put it out!
Old 04-27-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if Lion's Gate releases an unrated disc, and even if the release one that's not been dubbed into English, you just know it's gonna be a sucky transfer... this is Lion's Gate, after all!

Get "Haute Tension" on DVD now (I recommend the UK/R2-PAL version, retitled "Switchblade Romance", but there are also NTSC versions available).
Old 04-27-05, 10:38 AM

It's not horror but I suggest Man Bites Dog which is a parade of gratituous explicit violence and dispecable characters. Leaves a really bad taste in viewers mouth's kind of like William Lusting's Maniac that has rumoured to even gross out die hard splatter film fans.
Old 04-27-05, 10:39 AM
Banned

Why so hard on Lions Gate? Lions Gates DVD's are usually fine discs...

And from what I've heard, there's very little dialogue in the film anyway, so the dub is no real biggie. Now the cutting, that's different.
Old 04-27-05, 10:42 AM

early on Lions Gate promised the director that the US release would be the uncut NC-17 rated version, however they got cold feet and as far as I know, they have cut the film to R-rated standards for it's future US theatrical run.
Old 04-27-05, 10:44 AM

mind you the numerous last year's festival showings were the NC-17 cut and this is a 2003 (!) film.
Old 04-27-05, 10:52 AM
Banned

IMDB still lists it has NC-17.

MPAA: Rated NC-17 for strong graphic violence.
Old 04-27-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Why so hard on Lions Gate? Lions Gates DVD's are usually fine discs...

And from what I've heard, there's very little dialogue in the film anyway, so the dub is no real biggie. Now the cutting, that's different.
I've heard that in a few places, too... and it's totally incorrect. While there's plenty of stalk-and-hide, there's quite alot of dialog, as well. And the two main actresses are phenomenal in their roles.

We don't know about the DVD, but Lion's Gate has made it clear that the North American theatrical release will be a cut, R-rated version dubbed into English.

And Lion's Gate DVDs are definitely subpar.
Old 04-27-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll second A Nightmare on Elm Street. The first one (and the sucky second one) are by no means cartoony. It is by far my favorite horror movie.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a pretty good horror movie in line with what you are looking for.

Another one of my favorite horror movies is Dead Alive, directed by Peter Jackson. It is really a comedy/horror movie, though, so you might not like it.
Old 04-27-05, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I've heard that in a few places, too... and it's totally incorrect. While there's plenty of stalk-and-hide, there's quite alot of dialog, as well. And the two main actresses are phenomenal in their roles.

We don't know about the DVD, but Lion's Gate has made it clear that the North American theatrical release will be a cut, R-rated version dubbed into English.

And Lion's Gate DVDs are definitely subpar.
How so? I've had a few Lions Gate discs and the transfers and sound are usually good to great and have plentiful extras, IE: Vulgar, Cabin Fever, Conan O Brien discs, etc.
Old 04-27-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw
Old 04-27-05, 12:50 PM

More foreign recommendations:
Oldboy
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ringu (the American The Ring version is decent too)
Three Extremes

Also want to echo previous posters: Evil Dead and Haute Tension are must see horror movies.
Old 04-27-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
How so? I've had a few Lions Gate discs and the transfers and sound are usually good to great and have plentiful extras, IE: Vulgar, Cabin Fever, Conan O Brien discs, etc.
Poor transfers, lack of extras found on international versions... these are my main gripes. But, more to the point of this thread, I believe that fans of "House of 1000 Corpses" and "Saw" (and "American Psycho" as well?) are upset with LG for not producing unrated director's cuts, even after they were promised. I can't say with certainty about these discs, but LG made a big deal about how they were boldly going to release the unrated "Haute Tension" in North America, only to cut it down to an "R" and dub it.

And why bother with them (and why bother to wait) when there are fantastic, uncut, undubbed DVDs available right now? I mean, if you still aren't region-free, take this opportunity to finally free yourself. I bet there are still Toshiba SD-4900s available for under $100, as well as plenty of other nicely rated all-region/PAL-NTSC converting players for under $100.
Old 04-27-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by kar10
House of the dead
Oh man ... are you trying to make thelwig14 swear off horror movies forever? Unless ... this isn't Dr. Boll, is it?
Old 04-27-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I'll second A Nightmare on Elm Street. The first one (and the sucky second one) are by no means cartoony. It is by far my favorite horror movie.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a pretty good horror movie in line with what you are looking for.

Another one of my favorite horror movies is Dead Alive, directed by Peter Jackson. It is really a comedy/horror movie, though, so you might not like it.
I did as much research as I could (before this thread) and Henry was one that stood out as something I think I would like. The later Elm Street's scared me off (not in the right way) so I will go back and revisit the first one. Thanks!
Old 04-27-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Oh man ... are you trying to make thelwig14 swear off horror movies forever? Unless ... this isn't Dr. Boll, is it?
Yeah, that was definitely one of the ones where I thought "this guy must think I am some sort of tool." I have always heard that was unwatchable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.