Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wesley Snipes sues New Line over BLADE TRINITY...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 08:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VARIETY

Posted: Wed., Apr. 20, 2005, 10:00pm PT

Snipes throwing legal blade at 'Trinity' team

Thesp accusing NL, others of contract violation, racism

By JANET SHPRINTZ

Actor Wesley Snipes has sued New Line Cinema, writer-director David Goyer and Toby Emmerich, executive producer of "Blade: Trinity," in a wide-ranging federal lawsuit seeking more than $5 million in damages.

In a suit filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Snipes alleges that in violation of his contract, the director, screenplay and supporting cast of "Blade: Trinity" were forced on him. He also claims he's still owed a portion of his fee and that he was harassed and defamed because of his race. New Line declined to comment.

Goyer penned all three "Blade" scripts. According to the complaint, however, Snipes had concerns about him directing the third film in the trilogy and was not informed until six weeks before filming began that Goyer would direct. Similarly, he was not given an opportunity to object to the "juvenile level of humor" in the screenplay and the change in focus from the Blade character to two sidekicks. Snipes claims the real purpose of "Blade III" was to set the stage for spinoffs featuring other cast members.

Snipes blames Goyer for the critical response to the film, citing reviews describing Goyer as a "disastrous choice" and calling the film a "bloody mess." Film, released last December, has grossed $52 million at the domestic box office.

In money terms, Snipes alleges that he is still owed over $3 million on his fee. Furthermore, Snipes claims that because he was employed by a Swiss loan-out company and the movie was filmed in Canada, he should have been exempt from tax liability. But New Line withheld income taxes and failed to cooperate in obtaining a tax indemnity from the Canadian government. Snipes has had well-publicized tax problems in the past.

Snipes also claims that in contrast to the first two "Blade" films, in which efforts were made to select a multiracial cast and crew, defendants intentionally hired only white people, leading to feelings of isolation and exclusion by Snipes.

He also claims that Goyer made racially motivated statements about Snipes being unprofessional and difficult to work with, and that Goyer refused to discipline a crew member who wore a racially discriminatory T-shirt on the set.
Old 04-21-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i ask is why?
Old 04-21-05, 09:54 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
damn...no "Blade vs. Alien vs. Predator"!
Old 04-21-05, 10:02 AM
Banned

what a douchebag...he's acting like a cry-baby...
Old 04-21-05, 10:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh is that why Wesley looks so tired and pissed off during the whole movie (Blade: Trinity).
Old 04-21-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
This just about takes the cake.
Old 04-21-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Way to close the casket on your career, Wes.

Right now, in Hollywood, 5,000 headshots just went in the wastebasket.
Old 04-21-05, 10:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
but...you guys are still gonna buy the dvd right?
Old 04-21-05, 10:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
probably not, but I might rent the 'unrated' verson.
Old 04-21-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I was just in the "right" mood, but I was entertained and will buy the DVD.

I agree that this is a bad move on Wes' part.
Old 04-21-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He also claims that Goyer made racially motivated statements about Snipes being unprofessional and difficult to work with, and that Goyer refused to discipline a crew member who wore a racially discriminatory T-shirt on the set.
I hate statements like this with no examples whatsoever.
Old 04-21-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Well, supposedly the statements about him being hard to work with are absolutely true. I remember when HHH was on Howard Stern talking about his experience on the movie and he recounted how Snipes was a royal pain in the ass.
Old 04-21-05, 11:05 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My theory that Wesley Snipes is the third largest waste of flesh on the planet below Barbara Streisand and Mariah Carey increases in saliency...
Old 04-21-05, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
My theory that Wesley Snipes is the third largest waste of flesh on the planet below Barbara Streisand and Mariah Carey increases in saliency...
Don't forget Oprah.
Old 04-21-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Gee, I can't imagine why Goyer would come out and say Snipes was hard to work with.
Old 04-21-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, supposedly the statements about him being hard to work with are absolutely true. I remember when HHH was on Howard Stern talking about his experience on the movie and he recounted how Snipes was a royal pain in the ass.
I don't doubt that, but if something like this has any merit, then why wouldn't the writer include it instead of generalizations. It just bothers me.
Old 04-21-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snipes blames Goyer for the critical response to the film, citing reviews describing Goyer as a "disastrous choice" and calling the film a "bloody mess."
Grow the hell up Snipes. So the critical reception on your movie was not good. Funny you were crying about all this until now. What an idiot. You've made a number of films that sucked. Ever heard of Demolition Man? You didn't hear Stallone whining about critical reception.
Old 04-21-05, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Funny you were crying about all this until now.
While the lawsuit is new, the animosity between the two has been well reported and gossiped about for a long time now.
Old 04-21-05, 11:39 AM
Banned

The audience ought to sue Goyer and Snipes over how friggin shitty Trinity was.
Old 04-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The stories about Wesley Snipes being difficult to work with is nothing new. There has been stories ever since he made it "big".

I remember reading an article with Charlie Sheen, dissing Wesley for his refusal to appear in Major League II but then again, I think he made the right choice on that one.

In regards to his lawsuit, cry me a river Wesley.
Old 04-21-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Grow the hell up Snipes. So the critical reception on your movie was not good. Funny you were crying about all this until now. What an idiot. You've made a number of films that sucked. Ever heard of Demolition Man? You didn't hear Stallone whining about critical reception.
But Demolition Man was a good movie. What possible reason could he have to complain about that?
Old 04-21-05, 11:49 AM
Banned

Oh YEAH!! SUCK IT SNIPES!!!

Old 04-21-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Snipes isn't a high enough level actor to be making this much of a fuss.

That said, he definitely has a point about Goyer. Blade Trinity was one of the most unintentionally hillarious movies I've seen in ages, near-classic status as such in my book.
Old 04-21-05, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
That said, he definitely has a point about Goyer. Blade Trinity was one of the most unintentionally hillarious movies I've seen in ages, near-classic status as such in my book.

If were Snipes, and I read the script AND saw Parker Posey being cast as a vampire, I would've walked. He hurt himself going after the cash with such a lousy sequel.

Read Jenna Jameson's book for more Snipes ego...
Old 04-21-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by scottall
I don't doubt that, but if something like this has any merit, then why wouldn't the writer include it instead of generalizations. It just bothers me.
You can only hear these stories so many times. Stories of Snipes being difficult have circulated for years. I'd say it's a pretty good bet he acted like a prima donna.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.