Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

If.... any news?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If.... any news?

Is there any word when we might see Malcolm McDowell's If... on DVD?
Old 04-19-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.petitiononline.com/Ifdvd68/petition.html
Old 04-19-05, 06:19 PM

I signed.

I'll add - what about O' Lucky Man? I think that's Warner Brothers

mud...
Old 04-20-05, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added my name to the petition as well.
Old 04-20-05, 08:15 AM

I singed, there were 1153 signatures I sent all my friends to the site hopefully they will send it to there friends and so forth and so forth. I would love to have this on DVD so I can get rid of my VHS tape.
Old 04-20-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
The frustrating thing is Paramount was working on this a couple of years ago and separate commentaries were recorded by Malcolm McDowell and writer David Sherwin. The release was cancelled abruptly and nothing has been heard since. I'd like to know why this was delayed and what's taking so long. C'mon Paramount.
Old 04-20-05, 03:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Signed the petition.
Old 02-24-07, 10:59 PM

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi..._is_coming.php
Praise God a bit more: critic David Ehrenstein confirmed on the Criterion forums a week and a half ago that Criterion will be issuing a DVD of Lindsay Anderson's If...., which I'm been pushing for since the turn of the century, sometime in June. If... isn't mentioned on the Criteron Co. site, but Ehrenstein said he's written the notes and that they're putting it out -- good enough for me.

A '60s rebellion allegory that brilliantly captures the rage and excitement of a revolution in poetic fantasy terms, If... begins as a relatively straightforward story of a few teenaged malcontents -- Malcolm McDowell's Mick Travis being the ringleader -- coping with the routine humiliations imposed upon students by the priggish staff of a military-minded British private school.

But this 1969 film (based on a script called "Crusaders," by David Sherwin and John Howlett) gradually becomes more and more surreal, and not just in a political vein.

That look of fierce concentrated rage in McDowell's eyes as he and his friends fire their automatic weapons from a rooftop at their public-school enemies....that's the whole '60s up-against-the-wall mania in a nutshell. Stanley Kubrick hired McDowell to portray "Alex" in A Clockwork Orange because of how thoroughly he rocked as If...'s romantic-anarchic hero.

Was If... the first mainstream commercial drama to mix color and black-and-white footage in an impressionist vein? Something tells me another film or two did it first, but no titles are coming to mind.

Supposedly McDowell recorded a commentary about the film years ago -- let's hope it turns up on the DVD. Reader Max Evry has written than "in a perfect world [the Criterion If...disc] would include a doc pointing out the distinct influence of Jean Vigo's Zero For Conduct as well as one about director Lindsay Anderson
Old 02-25-07, 10:03 AM

Just out of curiosity, since I was the one who started the redundant If thread, how was I supposed to know this one existed? (especially since its been dead for 2 years) If you type the word 'If' (either with or without the '...') into the forum search you will get 0 results, and if you type it into the Google powered search, you will get a link to every one of the thousands of threads containing the word if.

I know this is not exclusive to Dvd Talk, All message board search functions suck, yet if you start a thread that has been covered before, some people get their panties in a twist.

Last edited by kintnerboy; 02-25-07 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
If the title of the film doesn't work, try an actor or director or releasing company/studio. Sometimes you have to be creative since search words have to be 4 letters or more.
Old 03-05-07, 01:59 PM

I asked Criterion if they are releasing this title and the answer was "I have some good news for you. We are releasing If . . . It will be in stores in June."
Can't wait.