Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Interpreter

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Interpreter

I searched and didn't find any thread on this so here's one!

I've REALLY been looking forward to this movie since I saw the trailer in the theater last fall I think.

And it's early but so far all six of the reviews on rotten tomatoes have been glowing.
Old 04-18-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looked like a good movie from the trailer but for some reason I have absolutley no intrest in seeing this movie.
Old 04-18-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on seeing The Interpreter this weekend. Ebert and Roeper gave it 2 thumbs up. They said Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman give one of their finest performances. Can't wait to see it.
Old 04-18-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just caught a "making of" the Interpreter on yesterday (can't remember the channel though) and it looks verry interesting. Just from that, I'm going to check it out. Political intrigue and murder are generally, very good cinematic bedfellows.
Old 04-19-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna skip this. Not because of Penn and Kidman but I don't care much for political movies.
Old 04-19-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
I just caught a "making of" the Interpreter on yesterday (can't remember the channel though) and it looks verry interesting. Just from that, I'm going to check it out. Political intrigue and murder are generally, very good cinematic bedfellows.
Probably on HBO. They have been showing a featurette for this movie between presentations.
Old 04-19-05, 02:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks pretty good. Will definately check it out soon.
Old 04-19-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll check this one out as well.
Old 04-19-05, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Ebert and Roeper gave it 2 thumbs up.
Show me a movie they didn't give 2 thumbs up to!
Old 04-19-05, 08:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I definitely plan on checking this one out. This looks like a great role for Penn and Pollack has a pretty solid track record with thrillers (Random Hearts being the exception).
Old 04-19-05, 01:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ChrisTurner
Show me a movie they didn't give 2 thumbs up to!

DOWN AND DERBY
Old 04-20-05, 01:41 AM

Penn and Kidman? Two of my favorites in the entire business, there's no way I'm missing this one.
Old 04-20-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It looks good. I will be waiting for the the DVD though.
Old 04-20-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I know I definitely want this movie, so I will be waiting on DVD...

I recently began to categorize movies under these groups:
1. Movies I must immediately see and will see again
2. Movies I definitely want to see now, but won't see again
3. Movies that can wait (I will see once)

Anything under #s 2 and 3 will just be a DVD purchase, as it comes out to the same price as going to the theatre. The movies in #1 are far and few between. (The last one, sadly, was The Ring Two... the next one, I don't know).
Old 04-20-05, 07:18 AM

I saw it last weekend here in the UK, and IMO it was a massive let down. The supposed 'twist' was coming a mile off, and I defy even the simplest of movie watchers not to get it.

No tension or suspense, and a complete contradiction in terms of the main protagonist in the final act. Unsurprisingly, however, Penn is excellent.

I really wanted to like this movie, but while it wasn't horrible, it was certainly a let down to say the least.
Old 04-20-05, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by vedderstapp
I saw it last weekend here in the UK, and IMO it was a massive let down. The supposed 'twist' was coming a mile off, and I defy even the simplest of movie watchers not to get it.

No tension or suspense, and a complete contradiction in terms of the main protagonist in the final act.

What twist? There's NO twist to the film. There's a character arc with the Kidman character, but no twist.

And the "contradiction" you mention about Kidman is well planned and thought out. It doesn't come out of the blue, and it fits the character.
Old 04-20-05, 12:57 PM

Saw it last night and although I didn't expect much, I didn't really enjoy it either. There were some tense moments, but it's just a typical cop/protector meets victim/insider drama. Penn and Nicole give great performances, but the story is so twisted up in politics, if you don't follow carefully, you don't give a shit.
It really bugged me that this movie was just recycled clichés from other movies. The dialog... or the way it's presented is the same crap you would expect from this type of story... and you have a feeling that later on it's going to repeat itself in order to give some sentiment to the already flat relationship of the primary characters.

I give it a 2 out of 5
Old 04-20-05, 09:22 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it last week in The Netherlands (what's up with that: a movie released in Europe BEFORE it's released in the US?) and I also was disappointed. Acting wasn't on the level it could be (with these actors) and the story soooo slow and predictable. Skip it I would say.
Old 04-21-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
The WOM I am seeing on this one in other palces is pretty consistent with these last few comments. It looks like Pollack might have swung big and hit this one into foul territory.
Old 04-22-05, 08:56 AM

JoBlo - 8/10

REVIEW

"Phew…finally! A solid, top-to-bottom movie coming out of Hollywood that isn’t a remake, a rehash, a TV show, a sequel or a rapper’s first steps into the movie biz."

Filmjerk - A

REVIEW

"In recent years, Pollack’s output has repeatedly flatlined ('Random Hearts'), but that all changes with 'The Interpreter,' a smartly mounted thriller that seizes the moment it hits the screen, and takes the audience for quite a sharp, taut ride."
Old 04-22-05, 09:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Some blurbs from MetaCritic:

The Hollywood Reporter Kirk Honeycutt
Thrillers don't get much smarter than The Interpreter.

Chicago Tribune Michael Wilmington
As beautifully designed, swift and sleek as a classic sports car, throbbing with emotion and intelligence, it's a neat suspense film that's also dramatically and sociologically potent, with two supremely talented stars, Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn, delivering beyond the emotional call of duty.

Rolling Stone Peter Travers
The Interpreter bristles with the smart, steadily engrossing tension that marked such 1970s goodies as "All the President's Men," "The Parallax View" and Pollack's own "Three Days of the Condor."

Los Angeles Times Kenneth Turan
Yes, this could be a better film, but the good qualities it does have are rare enough to hold our interest on screen and off.

Time Richard Corliss
There's enough narrative for three fine films. But not enough for The Interpreter. The thriller pieces feel assembled rather than organic.

Roger Ebert's full 3-star review here
Old 04-22-05, 11:46 AM

I'll see it this weekend, our local papers gave a lot like love better reviews...go figure.
Old 04-23-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

saw this tonight and it was so bad that i was tempted to ask for my money back. there were certain lines towards the end where people in the audience were laughing. definitely not a good sign at my theater.
Old 04-23-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
if you don't follow carefully, you don't give a shit.
My problem with it too. Though the problem may have been my damn friends decided to see it so damned late so I was tired, and we had to sit in the back row. If not for those two circumstances, I may have been able to follow the plot and enjoy it. But I didn't.
Old 04-23-05, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
but the story is so twisted up in politics, if you don't follow carefully, you don't give a shit.
So you penalize the film for requiring careful attention?

...and people wonder how THE PACIFIER did 100 mil...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.