Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

3 D Dvds

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 D Dvds

Are there 3 D DVDs. I read somewhere recently that the origional Invasion From Mars was also shown in 3D. Is it available? Where?
Old 04-18-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality is far from perfect....
Old 04-18-05, 09:31 AM

I think it'd be a neat idea to rerelease (in conjunction with the remake) the original House of Wax on DVD in 3-D as it was intended to be seen 50 years ago. Wouldn't mind seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon show up this way either.
Old 04-18-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

INVADERS FROM MARS was planned as a 3-D movie but was shot as a regular flat film.

Stay away from those sets that offer 3-D versions of movies shot in 2-D. It doesn't work.

THE CREEPS (1998) Charles Band flick from Full Moon has recently been released on a legit field sequential 3-D DVD. Full Moon Direct, Amazon have it and it is also sold on eBay by the label itself.
Old 04-18-05, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Stay away from those sets that offer 3-D versions of movies shot in 2-D. It doesn't work.
Yes, the 3 collections posted by Cameron all use the Field sequential system that requires shutter glasses (which are included). The system is different from the common red/green 3D glasses system. This Shutter glasses system is way way better for 3D...
....BUT you need a good 3d source to appreciate it.
STAY AWAY from the "Ultimate Horror classics" collection. Those films were not created in 3D and the company is using a faked inferior process that sucks.

"The Ultimate Horror Collection" is a little better since at least it's in true 3D. Unfortunately the 3 movies in it are shot on video and are very poor, just a couple of steps above home movies. The 3D is interesting and works surprisingly well, it's too bad the movies are just terrible.

"The Ultimate 3D Collection" pictured with the shutter glasses kit in Cameron's post is by far the BESTof the 3 collections. The movies in it were originally made for IMAX and they are top level film productions in true 3D They are basically three collections of 3D short films and demonstrations, each knitted together with a narrative. Most of the shorts are animations in the fashion of amusement park rides in unusual settings. The DVD's each run about 45 minutes (typical IMAX running time) and although they are not real full length movies with actors and a story line, they are fun as a novelty.

If you do go for a shutter glasses system, make sure it's compatable with your DVD and TV. As I understand it, the Shutter glasses system doesn not work with players if they set in progressive scan mode and also non interlace TV's.
Old 04-18-05, 01:44 PM

Thanks Guys, I learn so much so fast here. Looks like The 3D gig ain't worth the effort. I do have progressive scan DVD and have no idea how to defeat it.
Old 04-18-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by fliggil
I think it'd be a neat idea to rerelease (in conjunction with the remake) the original House of Wax on DVD in 3-D as it was intended to be seen 50 years ago. Wouldn't mind seeing Creature from the Black Lagoon show up this way either.
I have that ULTIMATE 3D COLLECTION set along with the titles you mentioned in 3D. Someone posted a while back that those titles (House and Creature) were bootlegs (I didn't know)... if that is true, then I guess that means that we shouldn't be discussing them.

Last edited by sracer; 04-18-05 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-18-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Calandra
Thanks Guys, I learn so much so fast here. Looks like The 3D gig ain't worth the effort. I do have progressive scan DVD and have no idea how to defeat it.
I have two progressive scan players and this 3D setup. There's a setting in my players' SETUP MENU to disable Progressive Scan. It works great!
Old 04-18-05, 05:15 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shrek 3D
Trinity and Beyond (has a 3D clip)
Old 04-18-05, 11:49 PM

I want to see a version of The Ring in 3D, where you see Sadako lurch out of the TV set toward the viewer.
Old 04-19-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the WORLD 3-D FILM EXPO DVD. Only 12 min. is in 3-D, but I enjoyed it.
http://www.3dfilmfest.com/index.php?...rs&act=1&it=67
Old 04-20-05, 06:36 AM

... and Insane Clown Posse's "Hell's Pit" CD comes with a DVD of "Bowling Balls", a short film you can watch in either 2D or 3D mode. Red/green glasses come with the set. The film is a bit like a shorter, jokier riff on "House of 1000 Corpses".
On a more mainstream note "Spy Kids 3D" also comes with several sets of glasses...

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 04-20-05 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A far superior, full color version of SPY KIDS 3-D with far better depth is now available in a legit DVD in Sensio format.

The good news is, no red/blue glasses are required, as it uses field sequential shutter glasses instead. The depth is far superior and the presentation is far superior to the anaglyph version released in theatres and on mainstream DVD. One can now appreciate the original photography as shot instead of the red/blue conversion.

The bad news is, you can't use a inexpensive field sequential set up like the ones above to see it, and it requires a $3000 Sensio Processor and set up. Still, the fact that Disney licensed the film to be used in this tiny niche market is promising.
Old 04-20-05, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by digiboy
"The Ultimate Horror Collection" is a little better since at least it's in true 3D. Unfortunately the 3 movies in it are shot on video and are very poor, just a couple of steps above home movies. The 3D is interesting and works surprisingly well, it's too bad the movies are just terrible.
If you like B-movies, then ignore what he said about them being bad. They are fun to watch with friends if you like movies like that.

I have some 3d movies including Friday the 13th part 3.

I would like to get The Creeps now that I found out about it.

Maybe we can hope that Star Wars gets a 3d box set if the movies come out in 3d.
Old 04-20-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron

Quality is far from perfect....

So what's all that additional equipment I see there? How do you hook it up?

Just wondering if it needs a mains outlet or not if I imported one to the UK ...
Old 04-20-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's simple to connect, and the unit can run on a 9V battery. All you do is route the transmitter in between your DVD player and TV with a simple video cable. The wired glasses pictured plug into the unit. It shouldn't take anyone longer than 2 minutes to set it up.

Wireless units/wireless glasses are much more comfortable of course but are a bit more expensive.
Old 04-20-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
The Nightmare on Elm St collection comes with 3D glasses for Freddy's Dead...gold old blue and red.
Old 04-20-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The red/blue thing has NEVER been traditional for 3-D movies. Very few have ever used that horrible process for presentation; maybe 1%. Even in the 1950's all 51 3-D movies used polarized, clear glasses.
Old 04-20-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's simple to connect, and the unit can run on a 9V battery. All you do is route the transmitter in between your DVD player and TV with a simple video cable. The wired glasses pictured plug into the unit. It shouldn't take anyone longer than 2 minutes to set it up.

Wireless units/wireless glasses are much more comfortable of course but are a bit more expensive.
Thanks Steve. I don't suppose you know what video cable formats are supported, e.g. S-Video, composite, component?
Old 04-20-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plain old composite on the model shown above.
Old 04-20-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plain old composite on the model shown above.
Yuk!

Oh well, at least it'll be compatible

Thanks
Old 04-20-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
The Nightmare on Elm St collection comes with 3D glasses for Freddy's Dead...gold old blue and red.
That's the only one I have....not very good, but it's nice they included it. Totally cheesy....but it's Elm Street
Old 08-09-07, 01:21 PM

I have the Razor home theater 3D set up with shutter glasses. Everything works great. However are there any chance that any new system, affordable that is that will work with HDTV's.. LCDs etc? I still hold onto an old 27inch boob tube just for the 3D even though i rarely use the tv for anything else, since i have a nice Samsung LCD.

I find it hard to believe with the advance technology today, that an affordable 3D system that will work with HDTV have not been released yet. I guess im not up to snuff with this stuff. Any techies here have any updated insight?
Old 08-09-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably not your cup of tea, but my daughter has a 3-D Barbie movie...
Old 08-09-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The red/blue thing has NEVER been traditional for 3-D movies. Very few have ever used that horrible process for presentation; maybe 1%. Even in the 1950's all 51 3-D movies used polarized, clear glasses.
Not doubting you (as I know almost nothing about 3-D movies), but why do you always see those archive photos of a theater full of people in the 1950s wearing 3-D glasses, and they're obviously the red/blue ones? What movie was that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.