Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why wouldn't they make an Amityville Horror movie about the actual murders?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems kinda silly to me to make a movie about the family moving in. Because *if the house was really haunted by the family that was murdered then why would they be evil? They were innocent. Seems kinda dumb to me.
Old 04-17-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
They did... Amityville II: The Possesion

IMDB listing
Old 04-17-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly...
Old 04-18-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Real answer: They made it because it was a bestselling book.

Smart ass answer: They are saving that for Amityville Horror Episode 1:The Phantom Menace.
Old 04-18-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
They did... Amityville II: The Possesion

IMDB listing
Is it really a movie about the actual murders if they attribute them to the killer being possessed?

(I have not seen this film but that is what it seems to be doing from what I read on IMDb.)

How about a movie about the actual murders without the mumbo-jumbo?
Old 04-18-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. Make a true crime thriller that focuses on the DeFeo family dynamics. There is enough horror in this family without the appearance of the Devil. Witnesses say that Ronald DeFeo Sr was the Devil himself (one of these witnesses was the DeFeo housekeeper, who would have no reason to say those things unless they were true). The son, Ronald DeFeo Jr, was thrown out of schools and seeing psychiatrists before he even moved to Amityville. So much for evil spirits. The only evil spirit in his life was his abusive father.

The DeFeos lived in the Amityville house for 9 years before the night of November 13, 1974 - there's a lot of history to be told, so why not tell it?
Old 04-18-05, 07:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It seems kinda silly to me to make a movie about the family moving in. Because *if the house was really haunted by the family that was murdered then why would they be evil? They were innocent. Seems kinda dumb to me.
If you've seen the movie(s) or read the books, the house isn't haunted by ghosts, but rather possessed by demons. Turns out there's a gateway to hell in the basement.
Old 04-18-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they can make it as a prequel to the remake of the original. Considering it grossed more than its budget this weekend.
Old 04-18-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib
How about a movie about the actual murders without the mumbo-jumbo?
the mumbo jumbo is what sells it....Whether you believe in ghost, demons and the rest...the guy thought he had them....in his mind they were real....though i will say Amityville 2 does take a page from the exorcist here and there....
Old 04-18-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
the mumbo jumbo is what sells it....
Plenty of true crime stories have sold without having to make them supernatural. Ann Rule, for one, has sold tens of millions of books without resorting to such nonsense (not that I don't like supernatural tales - as long as they don't pretend to be real). In this case the real story (as well as can be discerned) could possibly sell even better because it's been so junked up by all this crap for thirty years.
Whether you believe in ghost, demons and the rest...the guy thought he had them....in his mind they were real...
Maybe. Or maybe he used it to try to escape responsibility for what he did, both in the eyes of others and by rationalizing to himself. Or perhaps he knew exactly what he was doing and just made the whole demon thing up.

It would be interesting to see someone tell the story straight.
Old 04-18-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is true that Ronald DeFeo Jr was "coached" by his defense attorney, William Weber, to pretend insanity. This Ronald admitted to years later.
Old 04-18-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

after thirty years the vast majority would call foul if they went to see an amityville movie, and it was true crime instead of horror...
Old 04-19-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised we didn't get the red-eyed pig in this version. That was one of the few things that creeped me out in the original.