Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you going to buy every rare movie on the new format(s)?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Are you going to have an early start at rare movies on the new format(s)?
Yes, i will buy criterions, disney, and other "rare" films when they first come out
7.96%
No, i will buy what i like, not just what i can re-sell
21.24%
Thinking a little early are we?
23.01%
I'm not psychic moron
8.85%
Ask again in a few years
14.16%
I will not buy any movies of any kind until i see a winner of the formats
21.24%
Umm... didn't you know they might merge formats?
3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for voting
Old 04-17-05, 04:18 AM

I dunno but as for me, it's been a really long while I nearly completely stopped buying anything taht would be re-edited on HD' I buy mostly just classics and animé, now.
Old 04-17-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Too early to tell. No matter what I say now, it will change when I see the new stuff. I've actually shifted dramatically. After never having rented, I'm just doing the blockbuster online for a while. Then only buying things I really like instead of buying everything then selling what I didn't like.
Old 04-17-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much like what happened with laserdisc. if the new version is actually better in quality and with features than a dvd, then Yes. I will indeed pick up every rare movie on the new format
Old 04-17-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What "rare" movie?
Old 04-17-05, 10:47 AM

The Day The Clown Cried - with Jerry Lewis audio commentary!
Old 04-17-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've invested way too much in my current collectioin to go and re-buy what already looks great on my set up. Admittedly, there will be a few titles I'll get on HD-DVD but on the whole, what I have is what I'll have.
Old 04-17-05, 11:15 AM

I don't have an HDTV yet. I believe that only after I do, and after I've become accustomed to routinely seeing HD programming, will I know just how satisfied I will be with my existing SD discs. It's not something you can decide based on casual exposure to unfamiliar programming, such as with in-store demos.

RichC
Old 04-17-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'll rebuy the CC editions, but I think that Disney will prevent things from becoming too rare for too long...that vault just won't stay shut!
Old 04-18-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I have no interest in reselling for profit.
Old 04-18-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darryl
The Day The Clown Cried - with Jerry Lewis audio commentary!
That's rare? I wonder if I should put my copy up on ebay.
Old 04-18-05, 12:05 PM
Retired

No, I just buy movies I like and will watch over and over. I could care less if they're rare or not.

I won't rebuy any movies (or buy new movies in new format) until there's a clear winner in the format war. And even then I'll probably only rebuy a select few (Star Wars, LOTR etc.) as I'm not much of an audio/videophile. I just love movies and DVD is fine for enjoying them IMO.
Old 04-18-05, 05:11 PM
boe
Suspended

I wish technology would get a swift kick in the rear

We've been seeing the blue laser and HD DVD for years at CES. Still no release on them. This year at CES we saw it again but this time with a twist. There were some more projector/panel/HDTVs capable of displaying the advantage of the new format better.

I saw the Qualia stuff at Sony which can display at least 1080p so the samples looked sweet. My HDTV only does 1080i so the new formats won't look as nice but I'd still rather buy the new format if they could decide about the war than keep buyin DVDs. It would be like buying cassettes when you've already listend to CDs but there aren't any CDs available at the store.

AUGHHHH!! Frustrating! I understand some of the delay - at least they aren't giving that lame excuse about copy protection that they usually use for delays.
Old 04-19-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

iScan HD probably a better investment.
Old 04-19-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
I've invested way too much in my current collectioin to go and re-buy what already looks great on my set up. Admittedly, there will be a few titles I'll get on HD-DVD but on the whole, what I have is what I'll have.
Ditto...

A lot of the titles that I own are older films, noir, etc... I don't see enough in the way of A/V improvements with HD-DVD for those types of film, or the studio backing to release them for that matter (of course, I could be wrong on both counts, too early to tell). SD-DVD is plenty good enough for the majority of my collection. That said, there will be some titles that I'll immediately buy in HD... 2001: ASO and the like, but only after one format has been established.

As for "rare" films on HD-DVD... None of the announced launch titles are rare, that I'm aware of.
Old 04-20-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I think a lot of my first buys (if and when...) will be titles currently with non-anamorphic transfers, or if I only have the barebones DVD and the HD version has really good goodies.
Old 04-20-05, 02:18 PM

I'm firmly in the ask me again in a couple of years crowd. If there really is going to be a format war, it's going to take a few years to settle down. All I see happening in the meantime is prices for older & catalogue titles to continue to drop on the format we have now.
Old 04-20-05, 02:24 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
What's a "psychic moron"? Don't you mean "psychotic moran"?
Old 04-20-05, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It was implying that one could not guess which movies were rare or not, i decided to put that instead of "Rare Movies" because i knew the voting would've been to one-sided.
Old 04-21-05, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Whatever format gets Buffy is the format I will be getting... As for 'rare' movies, I may pick up some Disneys...
Old 04-21-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
This is where I will CERTAINLY read reviews on them before I buy them, and ask a friendly clerk to open that $49.99 DVD and play it on their HD system to prove it's so much better. Seriously, I wanna see the difference before I buy because I know there will be titles which will suck ass that the movie labels will try and squeeze past us in the HD format.
Old 04-21-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would repurchase my favorite movies, assuming that they are OAR (Im pretty positive that a lot of movies will only see a 16:9 release and not a true OAR release)...in that case, I would just stick with the current DVD. A lot of it though depends on when I buy a player, the current price of said discs and how much the original DVD will sell for on Ebay...ie, how much will I be out by upgrading.
Old 04-21-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Huh? What's a moran?

He asked, will you buy so and so...and one of the responses was: "I'm not a psychic, moron." Makes sense to me, and that was my vote (ps: sorry to the OP for calling you a moron, it just seemed like the most fun).

-JP