Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV sets pre-release/pre-retail? Particularly looking for Star Trek Enterprise S1!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV sets pre-release/pre-retail? Particularly looking for Star Trek Enterprise S1!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV sets pre-release/pre-retail/early release?

Hey, I did a search for pre-retail, early release and nothing came up. I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the new Enterprise DVD set. I don't know if this is a taboo topic to raise, if it is, mods please lock.

I was browsing e-bay for that 70's show Season 2, and some guy in the UK was already selling them, he had 2 copies from some retail location. I later found out that UK retail stores get REGION 1 DVD's about a WEEK before retail release in the USA!! I was wondering if there was anyplace I could get a hold of the Enterprise S1 for myself before retail, would be super-cool to have, especially with that packaging! Would look great in my fledgling DVD boxset collection.

So do circuit city or best buy or anyone get retail box-sets before release date? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Previous threads about Enterprise:
Star Trek: Enterprise packaging
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398087
Enterprise, anyone buying?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409387

Edit: BTW I'm in the metro Atlanta area, if anyone happens to know of any mom-and-pop stores that put DVDs out breaking street dates, that would be great info to have too, you can PM me if you want.

Oh and I'm interested in Miracles too, coming out on the 4/19 (WHY oh WHY did they cancel that show??) I am soooooooo gonna buy that!!! Does anyone know if its out somewhere already? Thanks!

Last edited by Threepw00d; 04-15-05 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-15-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Threepw00d
I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the new Enterprise DVD set.
Ahhhhh... so you're the one.

Old 04-15-05, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Ahhhhh... so you're the one.

Erm ... I'm the one what?
Old 04-15-05, 05:32 PM
Banned

Erm ... I'm the one what?
The one and only fan of ENT-S1.
Old 04-15-05, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The one and only fan of ENT-S1.
Sigh. I was hoping this wouldn't become a ENT-thrashing thread :P
Old 04-15-05, 07:19 PM
Banned

Sigh. I was hoping this wouldn't become a ENT-thrashing thread :P
Well, to make you feel better, there's more people around here that'll buy the sets than you think. I'm gonna buy them, but not sure when. I've got complete collections of TNG, DS9, and VOY, why stop there?
Old 04-15-05, 08:19 PM

How about pre-orders ... do they ship before store rls date? Is there a trend? Has anyone had experience placing pre-orders and receiving them early?
Old 04-15-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

some places ship early ...any place you buy it for before it comes out (retail mostly, or even over seas if you find some place) you're going to pay more than if you wait a few days (to see what everyone advertising it for) or wait for a sale someplace (DDD's sale for example in juneish..if they have one)...I want it myself, but I'm going to wait for a sale or some gift cert's before I buy it..
Old 04-15-05, 10:41 PM
Banned

How about pre-orders ... do they ship before store rls date? Is there a trend? Has anyone had experience placing pre-orders and receiving them early?
This post says a lot about our new friend, wouldn't you say folks?

He's not only a noob on the forum, but also a noob in DVD, it seems.

Anyway, because I'm a friendly guy, I'll answer the question.

OK, pre-orders from on-line retailers can vary in their ship time. Some ship the week before, some ship the day before (Monday), day of (Tuesday), or anytime after that. Just depends on how many orders they have of that title. The earliest I've ever gotten a release is like the Friday or Saturday before release. If they ship it like on a Wednesday before release and it's coming UPS, there's a chance I'll get it on Friday, but very rarely. Usually, it takes to the following Monday. Most of the time, however, I'll get it on the day of release, or day after.

I'm a patient man however, as with Amazon you can order stuff, but select it to ship on a later date if you accompany it with a pre-order. For example, I'm finally getting around to buying the 2-disc version of Unforgiven and I've got it set to ship at the end of the month with Blade Trinity.

Last month I set my ST: First Contact - CE to ship a week later with Star Wars Clone Wars and Star Wars Ewok Adventures.
Old 04-16-05, 06:39 AM

Oooh thanks for all that info! I saw all the release dates but until you just said it I didn't even realise that all the release dates are tuesdays of each month! Is there a reason why its that way?

Anyway, I just graduated from school, so I haven't had much money to spend on DVDs before this. I've only just started building a collection so I searched around for a good place to discuss DVD bargains and came across this site. That's why I know so little. Thanks for taking the time to explain, much appreciated!
Old 04-16-05, 09:59 AM
Banned

Oooh thanks for all that info! I saw all the release dates but until you just said it I didn't even realise that all the release dates are tuesdays of each month! Is there a reason why its that way?
Been that way for as long as I can remember. It's been Tuesdays for all A/V media going back to LPs and 8-tracks. Just as the ordinary release day for movies at the theater is Friday (with a few exceptions of course).

Anyway, I just graduated from school, so I haven't had much money to spend on DVDs before this. I've only just started building a collection so I searched around for a good place to discuss DVD bargains and came across this site. That's why I know so little. Thanks for taking the time to explain, much appreciated!
For the cheapest price for older titles, DeepDiscountDVD.com is probably your best bet. Amazon.com varies. Lately Amazon.com has the best price for new releases, 'cept for box sets and anime titles. Usually somewhere in the $.50 to $1 range better. But it all probably evens out in the shipping or tax.
Old 04-18-05, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It actually used to be Wednesdays for video up until about 10 years ago. I worked for Blockbuster at the time, and I believe they were the main proponent for the change. They wanted that extra day of rental before the weekend to try to get copies back in by Friday night.
Old 04-18-05, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odisn
It actually used to be Wednesdays for video up until about 10 years ago. I worked for Blockbuster at the time, and I believe they were the main proponent for the change. They wanted that extra day of rental before the weekend to try to get copies back in by Friday night.
Really? 10 years ago Wednesdays for video, huh? That's interesting. But because I wasn't that into collecting video on release days that long ago, I wouldn't really know either way I guess. But I know for a fact that for music it's always been Tuesdays. Back in the '80s when I was just getting into heavy metal, I remember always going up to the music store on Tuesdays to check for new releases.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 04-18-05 at 12:59 PM.