Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Replay games, do you do it? How often?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replay games, do you do it? How often?

So plain and simple, do you replay games?

I was looking at my stack of games and was wondering why I'm keeping some of them and ultimately decided to join game trading site to unload some of this stuff for new games. Now there are games I keep playing (i.e. fighting games, sports games, racing games) but games with a clear cut beginning, middle, and end? Not so much. The last one I did play through again was Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and that was a remake but I'll count it.

Take Beyond Good and Evil for instance. I thought this was a great game, one of the best I've played in the last five years (so I probably won't get rid of it) but I seriously doubt I will be playing through it again anytime soon. When I was younger I used to play games backwards and forwards (sometimes making up games within the game -like time trials on Sonic 1, or getting through boards on Gradius without shooting), but being older now I just feel like enjoying the game while its going but moving on after it's done. There is just so much stuff that I want to play and so little time I have to devote to gaming (on a *massive* game week I may play for 10-15 hours but that is so rare now as my game time ranks in at about 5-0 hours a week normally). And the funny thing (as stupid as it may be) as I keep in mind replay value when buying/playing through a game...I swear it was good crack when I smoked it.

What about you? Im also curious if there is a particular game you revisit on a yearly/somewhat regular basis( like how some people read The Lord of the Rings every year)? I think I read someone on this board saying they beat Symphony of the Night yearly. How do you juggle replaying games vs new games? How many hours a week do you game to fit all that in?

I mean I know we all have our favorites that we try to revisit over the years, but are you an active replayer?
Old 04-15-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I feel like playing and want to finish a game, I'll pop in a game I've finished cuz I know I'll finish it. I don't want to start a game I know I won't finish any time soon 'cuz it'll take time to familiarize myself with it again; controls, story, etc.

I keep a lot of my games for the collector in me.
Old 04-15-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I can't remember ever going back and replaying a game from start to finish. Everything seems too familiar and repetitive even when I let months or sometimes years pass between play sessions.

Hell, I rarely even finish a game the first time through nowadays. My attention span and patience have both grown very slim as I've gotten older, I guess.
Old 04-15-05, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too don't have as much time during the week to devote to gaming as I used to. I usually save my "game replaying" for those times in the year when nothing is released that I am interested in. Usually the only games I will replay are older PC games and some PS1 titles. I regularly will play through the Monkey Island series (PC), Might and Magic 3/World of Xeen (PC), Castlevania: SOTN (PS1), Vagrant Story (PS1), Chrono Cross (PS1).
Old 04-15-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on my fifth game of Kingdom Hearts.
Old 04-15-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okay I admit this is pathetic but I played through the single player on Halo CE at least 12 times, not including all the times I played it through with my rommates in cooperative mode.

I played through Midnight Club 2 a few times just for shits n giggles although the game is short on giggles towards the end it makes me want to pull my hair out.
Old 04-15-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never console games. I've replayed various LucasArts adventures games a few times, though.

I don't feel too bad about it. I spend $20 on a DVD and watch it once every six months or so for 2 hours each time. I spend $20-50 on a video game (generally an RPG) and play it for 30-40 hours. I get my ROI the first time through.
Old 04-15-05, 04:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Contra. Though not lately (~15 yrs)
Old 04-15-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I love games that have the feature where you can start at any level you want. For instance, Timesplitter or Rogue Squadron. For most games, I won't play through the whole game again, but I do like playing through favorite levels or whatnot. And I still have an archive of RPGs dating to the PS1, which I convince myself I will someday play through. It's been so long since I stopped playing Xenogears, for example, that I'll probably have to start again if I ever get around to it. It doesn't help that all these games are pretty much worthless as far as resell value goes, so why sell them?
Old 04-15-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hardly ever, but I'm taking a second run through Resident Evil 4.
Old 04-15-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I also don't have that much time a week to devote to games. the last game I could remember that I played through multiple times was Ratchet and Clank 2. After beating it the first time I believe I went through it 2 times again after that. Fighting games, sports games, and racing games get a lot of replay simply because on my schedule it's easy to just pick up and play a round of something.
Old 04-15-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A combination of lack of time and too many unplayed games keeps me from going back and replaying games. Even games I thought were great I won't go back and replay, because I am missing so many other possibly great games. Although I also replayed MGS TTS after beating the original on PS1.
Old 04-15-05, 05:59 PM

I'm on my 4th time through RE 4 and I too replayed MGS: TTS (5 times). Other games, like Zelda and Metroid Prime, I still play but I'm just goofing off and exploring. I've also found it difficult to finish games lately but those are mostly RPG's that get pushed aside when new titles hit. Still waiting for the RE 4 killer...
Old 04-15-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of the Square RPGs I still have are being kept just to collect. I seriously doubt I will replay any of them, but I did play FFVII all the way through twice. This is probably true of most of my games, however, my son is now old enough to play and beat old games I have already finished so there is some replay value there.

There are some I repeat. I beat Super Metroid 3 times and Castlevania: SOTN 4 times. Super Mario World got played through 2 times and my all time record is Snatcher which I have beat 15 times.
Old 04-15-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only games I ever fully replay are Resident Evil 0-CODE: Veronica(now adding RE4 to that list), Dino Crisis, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill. Every June I take a week's vacation and play through all of those, then throw in random games for short play. I have a terrible habit of never finishing games, no matter how much I like them, yet I continuously add to my collection......
Old 04-15-05, 09:49 PM

I have far too many games to sit around and replay my old ones, even my favorite Zone of Enders 2 is sitting around collecting dust. Only games I might bust out with every so often would be racing titles, something quick and easy like a random race in Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
Old 04-15-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When my first XBOX took a dump and I lost all my game saves I thought I would restart all my games just for the heck of it. That was 7 months ago and I just beat Max Payne 2 and that's about it. With all the new games coming out I can't make time for older games. I rarely ever trade in games so I'll have the games forever...which is how long it would take me to get back to all my older games.
Old 04-16-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, so my thoughts have pretty much been confirmed them. Maybe replaying isn't such a big deal with the dvdtalk set since we are older and thus have more money to spend on these games; while at the same time being an uber frugal lot whom hunt for deals and thus do not feeling burned if a game is only good for one play through. Well thats my thoughts on it anyways.
Old 04-16-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Before HALO 2 I would often go back and play my completed levels on HALO. Especially the the one that took place on the Island.
Old 04-16-05, 10:56 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very rarely, and years later. i.e. now I'll occasionally replay a SNES game.

Given the little time I invest in games now (very busy and have other hobbies further up my list) I don't even play all the new games I'd like to. So when I have spare time I'd rather be tackling one of these, rather than replaying something I already beat.
Old 04-16-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Before HALO 2 I would often go back and play my completed levels on HALO. Especially the the one that took place on the Island.
Wouldn't you say this kind of falls in the racing/fighting game category sorta kinda a bit? Just because of how easy it way to pick a random level to play (for 20 mins or however long). Not that you wouldn't have replayed through everything from scratch if there was no level select, but having that feature makes replaying specific boards (you're in the mood for) easier than say just starting a fresh game. Kind of like how Sonic 3 was - adds to the pick up and play aspect of things.

I wish Zelda did this with it's dungeons.
Old 04-17-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because of this thread I restarted Psi-Ops tonight. Ages ago I thought I had traded it in by mistake but it turns out a buddy of mine borrowed it for an extended period of time. I was pissed at him but happy in the long run.
Old 04-17-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
The last game I replayed was Resident Evil 4. I rarely play games again when I finish them. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory will be played again, though, as will Jade Empire as soon as I finish it.
Old 04-17-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Because of this thread I restarted Psi-Ops tonight. Ages ago I thought I had traded it in by mistake but it turns out a buddy of mine borrowed it for an extended period of time. I was pissed at him but happy in the long run.

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago. I can see myself wanting to play it again after I'm done.

I'm also thinking of replaying Legacy of Kain: Defiance. I'm a big fan of the Kain/Soul Reaver series.
Old 04-17-05, 02:58 AM

I've played through Final Fantasy Tactics once every summer since it came out. There's about a million different combinations of parties/tactics, though, so maybe it doesn't count. I don't think any two of my playthroughs have been remotely similiar.

Other games I replay: System Shock 1 and 2 for the PC, and most of the old Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games (Monkey Island, Quest for Glory, etc.)

Some games never get old. I don't think Monkey Island will ever stop being hilarious.

Other than that? Meh. I recently just started clearing out my inventory of completed RPGs. I realized that I'll never be able to devote the 30+ hours to play through the game again when I could be playing something new.

Austin

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.