DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bits says that Universal to announce BSG-Season 1 soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bits says that Universal to announce BSG-Season 1 soon

Here's the exerpt:
By the way, now that the season has run its course on SciFi, we expect Universal to announce the DVD release of Battlestar Galactica: Season One in the weeks ahead. Battlestar Galactica: Season One, Part One already been released in the U.K. (on 3/28). We'll be sure to keep you posted as things develop.
Question. For those in the UK who have gotten the "Part One" release, is it not the actual full season?
Old 04-15-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a must have for me. I have been hooked on this series since day one. I hope they do it right and include a nice transfer and some bonus material of some sort. Barebones or fully loaded....I will still get it.....just don't tell Universal that.
Old 04-15-05, 02:17 PM

Of course, there's already some bonus material available -- Ron Moore's commentaries ("podcasts") for the last several episodes, and a bunch of deleted scenes -- on the show's site.

I get the impression that this material wasn't released until the US broadcasts, so I wonder if it's all missing from the UK DVDs.

The only thing that makes me hesitate about purchasing is the knowledge the series is available in HD. I saved all the broadcasts to DVD with TiVoToGo, and maybe that'll hold me for now.

More and more, I find myself thinking this way: save the money, put it into the "HD Upgrade Fund," stop sinking money into NTSC DVDs. If I must see something, rent it fron Netflix. If I change my mind about the standard DVD, it'll probably be a lot cheaper later anyway.

RichC
Old 04-15-05, 02:27 PM

I'm anxiously waiting to hear if the 4 hour pilot will be included in this set. Been wanting the pilot for a while, but have been holding off buying it until hearing details about the season 1 set. Hopefully they'll announce it soon.
Old 04-15-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdclark
More and more, I find myself thinking this way: save the money, put it into the "HD Upgrade Fund," stop sinking money into NTSC DVDs. If I must see something, rent it fron Netflix. If I change my mind about the standard DVD, it'll probably be a lot cheaper later anyway.

RichC
I also thought about this but a post by Michael Corvin brought up a good point. How long until the HD-DVD/BR players are affordable and mainstream. Also, how much will a season in HD cost? After thinking about it for awhile I decided it is going to be at least 1-2 years before I jump on the bandwagon. So, I am not going to wait. If I have to double dip then that is fine. Also, there will be alot of people NOT going to HD-DVD/BR for ALONG time so there should still be a decent resale value on DVD sets if I want to upgrade mine.
Old 04-15-05, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moonraker
I'm anxiously waiting to hear if the 4 hour pilot will be included in this set. Been wanting the pilot for a while, but have been holding off buying it until hearing details about the season 1 set. Hopefully they'll announce it soon.
Quite frankly, I highly doubt that the mini-series will be on the season set. Although it'd be nice if it were. The reason why I don't think it'll be on there is for two reasons. The first is that it wasn't positive that a series would follow when it aired. Granted it left off with a hellava cliffhanger. So it's kinda separate in it's own way. The second reason is that the current DVD is pretty well done as is. It's got its own commentary, a special ~20 minute featurette, and deleted scenes. Also, by adding the mini to the season set would add another whole disc to the set. So as far as marketing goes, that would affect price in some way. And it'd piss off anybody who has already bought it.
Old 04-15-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im holding off buying the R2 version until i know whats on the R1. Its a great series, thankfully season 2 is now in production.