Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Which set of "The Office" to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which set of "The Office" to buy?

Mods, I'm not sure if this is the right forum (might also belong in International or TV), but since I'm asking specifically about purchasing the DVDs and their content, I thought I'd post it here. Please feel free to move, if necessary.

I'm thinking about buying "The Office" on Region 1 DVD. Although I thought about buying the seasons separately (Season 1, Season 2, Special), I noticed that you can buy all of them together in one complete 4-disc package. This would save me a little bit of $$$.

Does anyone know if this 4-disc set has fewer extras/special features (commentaries, outtakes, etc.) than the separate editions, or is it identical to what I would find if I were to buy the different seasons separately?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It contains the exact same stuff as if you bought them separately. Buy the bundle.
Old 04-15-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I received the four-disc set for Valentine's Day. That's right - My wife is awesome.
Old 04-15-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The disc contents are exactly the same and the package is nice and uniform on the shelf. But the individual season 1 & 2 sets have a few extra pieces of material like a jargon sheet, office map, poem about Slough, David's wonderful "Excalibur" poem under the season 2 disc on the digipak. There may be more or I may be slighty wrong as I can't look at my sets right now. This is the only reason I haven't sold my season 1 & 2 sets when I got the complete series. I haven't got the individual special release to know if it as any off-disc extras like those.
Old 04-15-05, 12:47 PM
Banned

I wonderful buy ...an if you ever worked in the UK Civil Service , you will have every charactor to show who you work with ,to your wife/hubby/partner..LOL
Old 04-15-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Given what pinata242 wrote, I'd spend a couple extra bucks to buy the separate versions. The inserts are entertaining as well. They also explain some of the 'Slough slang'. In the first set, there's also a Wernham Hogg News which includes intro's to the most of the characters, more slang, and a couple of other funny bits. I wasn't sure from pinata242's description if that is included in the complete series. If not, I would definitely opt for the separate versions.
Old 04-15-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry for the confusion, but no, the complete series set only contains the discs not the extra leaflets/inserts. Those discs are identical to the other releases. The big let-down for me with the individual sets is that they look like crap next to each other on the shelf, but I'm very particular about that.
Old 04-15-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry for the confusion, but no, the complete series set only contains the discs not the extra leaflets/inserts.
Silly as it sounds, I think they're worth a bit of extra money. There are a lot of little Britishisms that I wouldn't have understood without the inserts (and it would've been nice on the Christmas eps as well!).

The big let-down for me with the individual sets is that they look like crap next to each other on the shelf, but I'm very particular about that.
Me too; my solution was to buy a case that can hold four discs, put the series in order and the bonus disc from season one in the hub under where the inserts go. Haven't made a custom cover yet, but it still looks much better on the shelf.
Old 04-18-05, 09:22 AM

Great! Thanks for the help everyone - good info! Much appreciated.
Old 04-18-05, 01:24 PM

Buy the Bundle pack and go to the BBC website and you can print the other things (like the newsletter etc).

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-18-05, 07:51 PM
Cool New Member

I picked up the bundle during the last DDD sale without having seen anything of the show. It was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The orginal show is just that good.
Old 04-18-05, 08:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
just to add a bit...

here in Canada, there were two different releases for the Christmas special DVD. One, which is the one that's widely available, only contains the DVD. The other version, supposedly only available at HMV in Canada, contains the DVD plus a CD containing two David Brent songs. Freelove Freeway and... I don't recall the name, but it's the song that he had done a music video for (mentioned in the Christmas specials). I don't think the DVD + CD version is available anymore though. But I have it, so I don't have to worry.
Old 04-19-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ha! That'd be awesome to have. Even though the best part about the "If you don't know me by now" song is the video.