Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

" 'Hitch' to sing a different tune"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" 'Hitch' to sing a different tune"

I'm not 100% sure what this all means, but according to an article at www.hive4media.com (aka, Home Media Retailing), "Hitch's" soundtrack will "reinclude" George Fenton's original score, which was not included on the theatrical release. It was replaced with a pop sountrack which was used during the test screenings.

I'm wondering if this is ligit, or Sony trying to spin a mistake on securing the original soundtrack into a postive for the DVD release.

Now, if both the original theatrical soundtrack and Fenton's score are included, that would be cool, but considering this is Sony, I have my doubts.

fitprod
Old 04-14-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, allegedly they are thinking about a sequel already...

But I'm confused. Is the score going to be put in the film itself, or into the soundtrack (OST CD), or the DVD release as alternate audio?
Old 04-14-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This seems to be trend lately. Sony will be releasing MAJOR DUNDEE with it's original theatrical score (which director Sam Peckinpah and many others hated) and Warners new release of THE GETAWAY will also feture a choice between two scores.
Old 04-14-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a direct link to the actual article:

http://www.hive4media.com/news/html/...rticle_id=7397
Old 04-14-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I haven't seen Hitch yet - but often movies with pop hit scores become popular for that very reason...I'm guessing there will be a lot of upset people if the tunes aren't part of the DVD release.

Sound like maybe home video rights weren't secured and they're trying to come up with a fancy way of dealing with it.
Old 04-14-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how could a studio not secure home video music rights...that couldn't posssibly be the case

MATT
Old 04-14-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
how could a studio not secure home video music rights...that couldn't possibly be the case

MATT
We all know studios do dumb things but this can't be the reason. I was mildly interested in getting the movie but something like this is enough to make me pass on it completely. There is no reason at all for something like this to happen.
Old 04-14-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Honestly, an actual score vs. a hip-hop soundtrack make me more likely to buy it. However I will agree that I don't like the fact that they are altering it from the original (without an inclusive option).

The article talks about the in depth discussion (on the commentary) about the move. Why would they not include both and further re-inforce the impact that music has?
Old 04-15-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's kinda cool what they are doing, but I've never seen Hitch so I don't know how well the regular music fits into it.

I think they really should include the original in addition to the alternate. Who knows, maybe this will be the beginning of a new trend. I remember that Team America originally had a Marc Shaiman score that was rejected for being too dramatic, it'd be cool if they'd include that as an alternate audio track or something.
Old 04-15-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
No original jiggy = No sale.
Old 04-15-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The article talks about the in depth discussion (on the commentary) about the move. Why would they not include both and further re-inforce the impact that music has?
I agree. Seems like a pretty trivial thing to do and would be a neater use of DVD's capabilities.

This is also a strange move since the movie was a pretty decent hit. Why screw around with the soundtrack that (a) tested well and (b) was used in the actual (successful) film?

Strange decision.
Old 04-15-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Does anyone that's seen HITCH have a list of some of the songs that were used? Seeing the list of songs in the movie might help us figure out if there's a rights problem.

If they never originally intended to use the songs, it's QUITE POSSIBLE they didn't secure the home video rights to them before the movie hit theaters.
Old 04-15-05, 04:12 PM

This sounds very similar to some recent television shows being released on DVD with alternate songs to the original airing because they can't/won't buy the rights to the original song.
Old 04-15-05, 07:58 PM

I doubt it's a right issue. I also doubt that the DVD will not include the theatrical soundtrack. None of the articles quoted specifically state that the theatrical soundtrack WON'T be on the DVD - it's just been generally assumed in this thread to be the case.
Old 04-16-05, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by joffa
I doubt it's a right issue. I also doubt that the DVD will not include the theatrical soundtrack. None of the articles quoted specifically state that the theatrical soundtrack WON'T be on the DVD - it's just been generally assumed in this thread to be the case.
Yeah. When I first heard of it, it sounded to me like the original score would be included seperately with the other special features.
Old 04-17-05, 11:17 AM

I'm waiting for the eventual Hitch Superbit.
Old 06-14-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

so whats the consensus on this? anyone know yet?
Old 06-14-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the original intro is included as a "deleted" scene on the DVD. A small voice over explains the change, I don't remember what he said off hand. But the 7 minute intro is here in it's scored format.
Old 06-16-05, 04:07 AM

What music do they have for all the dancing at the end? (Previously it was a funky version of Now That We've Found Love.)
Old 06-16-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's still there - at least on the version (?) I rented at blockbuster.
Old 06-16-05, 04:40 PM

So has this been changed or not? I'm confused.
Old 06-16-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The George Fenton-scored intro is included as a Deleted Scene only.
Old 06-16-05, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
The George Fenton-scored intro is included as a Deleted Scene only.
Thanks Kal-El. This is good news. I was thinking the entire movie had a different score without the pop songs.