Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Longest amount of time before you realized a disc was bad...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Back when I worked at CH, I purchased an opened copy of the Ultimate Spawn 4-disc set at the employee store. A lot of the items there are returns from customer, so if there's ever a problem, you can still return it to the employee store for exchange. I watched the first disc, saw nothing wrong, and decided it was ok. I eventually made it up to the second disc over time, but was never struck with enough interest to watch the third. Finally, this past weekend, I was bored enough to finally try to watch the whole thing, all three parts, from the beginning. I get to the end of the third disc, maybe the last five or ten minutes, and it starts skipping, and finally freezes up. Great!!! So basically, it's been about FIVE YEARS since I bought the set, and four years since I worked there, so there's nothing I can do about it except purchase a new set eventually. Now I took the time to watch this whole set, and I don't even know how it ends. Oh well.

SO...what's the longest amount of time that passed before you realized a DVD you purchased was bad?
Old 04-13-05, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've got three seasons of Xena and Hercules left unwatched of which I've had for several months, so if any of those are bad, I'm in deep trouble.

But back when the Vista Series version of Pearl Harbor came out, I would always constantly just watch the first disc for the surprise attack. The second disc contains the Doolittle Raid. So one day I went to watch the 2nd disc and come to find out that I didn't have the 2nd disc, but two Disc #3s. Luckily this was within the 30 or 45 day return period for Wal Mart. So I immediately went back up there to exchange it.
Old 04-13-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I preordered "Clean, Shaven" and let it sit on a shelf for two years before I opened it. It's a favorite of mine that I've seen a bunch of times, so I wasn't in a hurry to watch it, it was more of a library addition. Anyway, once I opened it there was no disc in the case! Needless to say, since then I open and test every new DVD I buy.
Old 04-13-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Back when I worked at CH, I purchased an opened copy of the Ultimate Spawn 4-disc set at the employee store. A lot of the items there are returns from customer, so if there's ever a problem, you can still return it to the employee store for exchange. I watched the first disc, saw nothing wrong, and decided it was ok. I eventually made it up to the second disc over time, but was never struck with enough interest to watch the third. Finally, this past weekend, I was bored enough to finally try to watch the whole thing, all three parts, from the beginning. I get to the end of the third disc, maybe the last five or ten minutes, and it starts skipping, and finally freezes up. Great!!! So basically, it's been about FIVE YEARS since I bought the set, and four years since I worked there, so there's nothing I can do about it except purchase a new set eventually. Now I took the time to watch this whole set, and I don't even know how it ends. Oh well.
if you need to know how it ends, its lik5.99 at ddd.
Old 04-13-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the limited edition Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago but didn't watch it until a year later. That's when I found out that my disc #1 was screwed up (froze up about 10 minutes from the intermission). I ordered a new one that very night (luckily, I found one at a good price even though it was OOP by then).
Old 04-13-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
For all I know, my copy of Fulci's The Black Cat may not play properly. I bought that DVD almost four years ago and still have not watched it.
Old 04-13-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
if you need to know how it ends, its lik5.99 at ddd.
I know. Good thing is, I only paid $7.00 for it in the first place.
Old 04-13-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owned a bad disc (that I know of - some I haven't watched yet). I've rented a few that wouldn't play, but never one I owned.

Stew