Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weird back to dvds

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird back to dvds

I have a question about dvds I purchased off ebay. They are korean movies that I bought. One of them worked fine the first time, but then I went to try and watch it a second time, it wouldn't even play well enough to watch. I thought it was just dirty again so I took out the disc and wiped it and put it back and it was only worse. I am wondering if wiping it (with shirt) could have anything to do with that. When I look at the underside of these dvds, they all look weird. I thought maybe I should look into bootleg but most forums say that bootlegs will usually be purple or blue on the underside like dvdr. These are silver like normal, but if you look at it closely you see like, darker spots here and there on most of them (kinda like stains? I dont know...hard to explain!). I don't see these on any of my movies ive bought here at stores. Does anyone know anything about this? I've only watched each one once and the quality seemed fine and picture was clear and all had the menu's and chapter selection and no permanent subtitles or anything strange like that. The only thing is that one that I went back to watch again is like completely messed up now and I didnt do anything to scratch it or anything since the first time. It has just been sitting in its case.
Old 04-08-05, 10:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
This is probably a better forum for your question.
Old 04-09-05, 08:26 AM

does anyone have any idea about this?
Old 04-09-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sounds like the disc lamination is separating. This will give a milky stain-like look on the data side. Some like to call this "dvd rot" but it's not so much a disease as a manufacturing defect. Some players are more sensitive to not playing these.

I would guess the seller was experiencing the same problems and threw 'em on eBay. Of course, cleaning a disc with your shirt probably compounded the problem.
Old 04-09-05, 02:07 PM

Almost sounds like EZ-D or whatever they call it. You know, the discs that degrade to unwatchibility about 48 hours after air touches them. I don't know if they use that in Korea, but that's what it sounds like.