Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bye-bye, MGM

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bye-bye, MGM

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- It's very sad. MGM is gone. So is United Artists.

The deal, expected to close on Friday, for a consortium of companies (including Sony Corp.) to purchase the MGM assets for some $4.8 billion reminds us that in today's entertainment universe, it's all about selling DVDs.

Ted Turner was right: It's the library, stupid. All 4,000 titles.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html
Old 04-08-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Sad.

Good article tho.

Andrew
Old 04-08-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

Well, at least there's still Orion Pictures.
Old 04-08-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sad news.
Old 04-08-05, 03:43 PM

In a pre cinematic sense, it's truly tragic. The death of a legacy. So what will happen to the extensive MGM/UA DVD library already out? Will they just be repackaged under the sony labels, or will they continue to be MGM titles? Lastly, does this mean less flippers?
Old 04-08-05, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that there is a lot of history behind MGM but for the past little I have grown to hate them. Well there DVD department at least. IMO they have been responcible for so of the most disapointing and sometimes rage inflicting releases. For example the Graduate "special" edition. On the other hand they did do a nice job on the Raging Bull special edition packaging (their whole Scorsese Collection for that matter). I hope their sale has some positive repercussions, like some truly great films from their library getting the treatment they deserve.
Old 04-08-05, 04:07 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am not sure but i think they might keep packaging them under mgm.
Old 04-08-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin4223
Lastly, does this mean less flippers?
No, more Superbits
Old 04-08-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Atreus
For example the Graduate "special" edition.
What special edition? I assume you mean the recent downgrading of the Graduate from a "special edition" to a bare bones release with the same terrible non anamorphic transfer from the earlier version.
Old 04-08-05, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
No, more Superbits
and even more double and triple dips!!!
Old 04-08-05, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
What special edition? I assume you mean the recent downgrading of the Graduate from a "special edition" to a bare bones release with the same terrible non anamorphic transfer from the earlier version.
Yup. That is why I used the "quotes". That was such a kick in the nuts.
Old 04-08-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

from what i hear, Sony has no plans on folding the MGM brand.. it'll just be owned by Sony. no idea if they'll keep both the MGM and United Artists brands going, but i'm pretty sure the MGM stays.
Old 04-08-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
i am not sure but i think they might keep packaging them under mgm.
Yeah, my understanding is that they plan to keep the MGM 'brand'. They'd be silly not to -- it's very recognizable.

Great article, by the way... it really mirrors my thoughts. It's difficult to see the end of the studio, but in reality the studio has been undergoing a slow death by papercuts for decades. I only wish that Warner had aquired the films rather than Sony, given Warner's wonderful DVD editions over the past few years. (Although, I also believe that Blu-Ray appears to be the better of the upcoming formats, so I'm torn. )
Old 04-08-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Articles not bad but it goes too far:

"But it doesn't take much to bring these monoliths down. MGM's slide began when Kerkorian outbid Edgar Bronfman for the studio in 1969, cannily recognizing the value of the MGM brand."

No. MGM's slide began with the decline of the musical and the death of the studio system. And Kerkorian outbiding Bronfman is like Dumb and Dumber. What positive contribution did Bronfman do for Universal?
Old 04-08-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MGM has been a mess for years and Kerkorian never helped matters by his constant sale and re-purchasing of the company. Their biggest loss was Turner's purchase and him keeping the pre-1986 MGM catalog. Every studio has classics but MGM had two of the biggest ever: The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind, not to mention 2001, Doctor Zhivago, and Singin in the Rain, all lost to Turner. All they have left now is Bond, Rocky and scraps from UA and the other studios they've bought up like Orion and Polygram.
Old 04-08-05, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
MGM has been a mess for years and Kerkorian never helped matters by his constant sale and re-purchasing of the company. Their biggest loss was Turner's purchase and him keeping the pre-1986 MGM catalog. Every studio has classics but MGM had two of the biggest ever: The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind, not to mention 2001, Doctor Zhivago, and Singin in the Rain, all lost to Turner. All they have left now is Bond, Rocky and scraps from UA and the other studios they've bought up like Orion and Polygram.
They've got the Stargate franchise as well.
Old 04-08-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
They've got the Stargate franchise as well.
Let's hope that future releases of the Stargate series keeps the same packaging style.
Old 04-08-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if this will affect that MGM court settlement thing?
Old 04-08-05, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Let's hope that future releases of the Stargate series keeps the same packaging style.
That's what I was thinking (and hoping for). Since the Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of SGA releases have already been announced, I don't see them changing the package style. Although they're some bulky-ass packaging. 5 keepcases per season. Probably the most shelfspace-hogging box sets I own.
Old 04-08-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
That's what I was thinking (and hoping for). Since the Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of SGA releases have already been announced, I don't see them changing the package style. Although they're some bulky-ass packaging. 5 keepcases per season. Probably the most shelfspace-hogging box sets I own.
I agree with you but for some reason I like them very much despite being space consumers. I think it has to do with each set being so colorful. It looks nice when you have em all lined up. A little bit of a rainbow effect for an otherwise drab looking dvd shelf.
Old 04-08-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- It's very sad. MGM is gone. So is United Artists.

The deal, expected to close on Friday, for a consortium of companies (including Sony Corp.) to purchase the MGM assets for some $4.8 billion reminds us that in today's entertainment universe, it's all about selling DVDs.

Ted Turner was right: It's the library, stupid. All 4,000 titles.
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 04-08-05 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh well. MGM lost all their good movies to Warner Brothers anyway.
Old 04-08-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movies Gone to the Mortuary
Old 04-08-05, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I agree with you but for some reason I like them very much despite being space consumers. I think it has to do with each set being so colorful. It looks nice when you have em all lined up. A little bit of a rainbow effect for an otherwise drab looking dvd shelf.
Well, that's very true, but I just wished they were smaller digipaks or something.

I wished they re-issue Season 1 with 5.1 instead of the 2.0 track it now has.
Old 04-08-05, 07:39 PM

When Sony takes over MGM, is there any chance that my favorited branded line, "Midnite Movies," will continue?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.