Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox flashing red/green

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox flashing red/green

My X-Box was working fine and then the screen just went blank. I powered it off and then back on and nothing.
It try's to start twice and then on the third time it powers up but then the eject line is flashing green/red. No display or video.
I have checked all of the connections and let it sit still the same. All of the fans are spinning and I can hear the hard drive running also.
Any ideas?
Old 04-06-05, 10:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken that's a dvd drive failure
Old 04-06-05, 11:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That happened to me. The result wasn't good: my hard drive was dead, and I lost everything.
Old 04-06-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Xbox flashing red/green
Diagnosis: Xbox internal date incorrectly set to Christmas.
Solution: Reset date to the correct date.

- David Stein
Old 04-06-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I opened it up and I can hear the hard drive spinning. I also disconnected the DVD Rom drive and the Hard drive and still had the same problem.

As for the date set incorrectly to Christmas I was watching the SW Holiday Special when it crashed.
Old 04-06-05, 12:18 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
Diagnosis: Xbox internal date incorrectly set to Christmas.
Solution: Reset date to the correct date.

- David Stein

wlj
Old 04-06-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You are likely hosed, I've had the same thing on two xboxes. How much do you know about PC hardware, I might be able to walk you through it if you are comfortible enough to start ripping it apart. (take stuff out, replace with new parts, etc.)
Old 04-06-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
You are likely hosed, I've had the same thing on two xboxes. How much do you know about PC hardware, I might be able to walk you through it if you are comfortible enough to start ripping it apart. (take stuff out, replace with new parts, etc.)
The exact reason why I bought a warranty. Twice. I waited a year before I bought an xbox. A couple of friends of mine had problems with theirs, and I'd read about the problems on the net so when it came time to answer that age old question, "would you like to purchase an extended warranty," it was a no brainer.

A year later my box died. Took it back got a new one, unfortunately you can only use the extended warranty once so I had to purchase a new warranty for the new xbox.

Normally I wouldn't crack the box open, but if it is dead for sure, it can't hurt to try and get it working if you don't have a warranty.
Old 04-06-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does your box have a mod chip in it? there are a number of things that can cause the red/green you're talking about. but when you turn your box on does it power itself off, then on, then off, then on, then nothing.

too bad you don't live closer i'd love to rip it apart and fix it, i've been dying to get to fix a broken xbox, but MARTIN5 is too cheap to buy the parts for his broken box.
Old 04-06-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have already taken it apart to see if one of the fans died. What can you walk me through?
Yes it does have that extra chip (not sure that it should be discussed here though so I didn't want to mention it).
It was working great for months after the upgrade and then Friday night a friend updated the software and then last night it died in the middle of me watching a movie.
When I hit the power button it tries to boot 2 times and then powers up with the red/green lights.

sfsdfd- Don't you have better things to watch on your hard drive?
Old 04-06-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you've got a mod chip in and it started doing that I'd bet 99.9% chance of your new bios being corrupted. Download a new one burn it to a DVD and try installing it into a different bank on the chip. That way your friend can reflash the one he screwed with. What brand chip is it? Not all have more than one bank.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 04-06-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though it did work for a couple of days? A friend here at work said that he has a programmer for the BIOS. I can't update it through the X-Box it wont load a game.
I really hope that it is just the BIOS on the chip. It I have to I will just remove the chip if I can still find my old hard drive.
Old 04-06-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The chip is Executer 2.3. It does have 2 banks. I think one is 1 meg and the other is 512 or 256 dont' recall which.
Old 04-06-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well there are a couple things you may have screwed up your EEPROM and that is why your box isn't booting try this link. after that reflash with a new BIOS.

be sure to see if the box will boot with no chip in, and the harddisk that came with it. before you go reflash crazy.

http://arisme.free.fr/Xbox/Reflash/ <-----EEPROM help

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/thedefinitivedvd/xbox01.htm <-----BIOS help
Old 04-07-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well a friend of mine took the X-Box to his place to test the chip. He has a couple of the programmers.
He said that he tried my chip on his X-Box and it was working. He put his chip on my X-Box and it would do the same thing red/green flashing lights.
He is going to reflash the BIOS (hopefully tonight). He is thinking that the motherboard is the problem.
I searched on Ebay for a replacement motherboard and they are about 60 and up. I would rather just buy a new unit than replaced with a used part that will just fail soon. He said that it isn't possible to mod the new versions of the X-Box.
jeffdsmith can you offer any more advice. Is it possible to narrow it down beyond just the motherboard on what is causing the problem?
Old 04-07-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes it is v1.6 and v1.6b can have mod chips in them the same as the rest.
Old 04-08-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will any chip programer work to reflash the Xecutuer chip?
Old 04-08-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what do you mean chip programmer?
Old 04-09-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't flash the chip through the X-Box unit and they sell a programmer that you connect to a serial or USB port on your computer to flash the chip.