Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about DVD recorders

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a panasonic dvd recorder and was wondering if it's possible to copy copyrighted VHSs (vcr hooked up to dvd player) to dvd. i know the recorder has the function to do this.. just not sure if it's only with "personal" vids and not copyrighted ones.

it seems odd that you can't, as it is an efficient "preserving" system and if you can do so with cds.. why not vhses too...

anyways, thanks a bunch.
Old 04-05-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
wondering if it's possible to copy copyrighted VHSs
No.
Old 04-05-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rather appropriate name you have there. Bye!
Old 04-05-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your manual makes it pretty clear that you can't make copies of copyrighted/protected videos. In fact, if you try it, the error message will tell you that pretty clearly.

Just letting you know that you cannot do this with your current equipment. This site does not allow you to go beyond your initial question -- that is, don't bother asking how to 'get around' this limitation.

In answer to your question of CD vs. VHS... CDs have no copy protection. VHS tapes have macrovision -- a copy protection scheme that was designed to prevent exactly what you're trying to do.
Old 04-06-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the CD system does have copy protection. It's just implemented a bit differently, only in the digital domain and not usually in computers. Much friendlier to the consumer.
Old 04-06-05, 12:58 PM

whoa what a nice welcome.. it's not like i want to pirate the shit.. would just rather a more convenient medium.

thanks spiky and bboisvert - it's appreciated.
Old 04-06-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you're misunderstanding but if you make a copy from one type of medium to another it's pirating the shit as you say. Just because you've previously bought a title on an older medium doesn't legally allow you to get free upgrades of the same title on newer or better types of medium. So if you don't want to pirate and you want it on a more convenient medium than buy the DVD release of it. Very simple see.
Old 04-06-05, 01:50 PM

well in this case it would be like creating a backup copy or car copy - pirating to me would be selling or downloading it illegally.. not ensuring the longevity of something you already paid for.
Old 04-06-05, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by kayak99
Rather appropriate name you have there. Bye!

PS: just goes to show that my theory is correct... morons don't know good music
Old 04-06-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wavin_goodbye
well in this case it would be like creating a backup copy or car copy - pirating to me would be selling or downloading it illegally.. not ensuring the longevity of something you already paid for.
Unfortunately for you, you have not created the law. The law for copy protection of material encoded on digital media says that ANY attempt to circumvent it is illegal. DVDs have both analog and digital CP. Doesn't matter if you are making a copy to show your students at the handicapped high school, circumventing it is illegal.

And discussion of it here could get you banned. Hence the response from the members. Sorry, just the facts.
Old 04-06-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wavin... You agreed to several rules when you signed up for DVDTalk. Including ABSOLUTELY NO:

• Posting requests for copies of copyrighted material, or "how-to-get/make bootleg material" instructions
• Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

morons
Another rule was ABSOLUTELY NO:

• Posting of personal attacks against another member, moderator or administrator in the forum

You seem to be breaking quite a few rules right out of the gate. Just letting you know... so that you'll be able to stick around for a while. Full details:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328480
Old 04-06-05, 06:27 PM

well, i did not request copyright material or copies of such. i didnt ask how to hack into the system or if there were any ways of bypassing the security things.

I asked for information - and i got it, but in no way did i break those rules. sorry but no. i made a legitimate comparison to cds in relating my question, which was a logical comparison at that. ( the law in this country states that copying cds for personal use is perfectly legal - ive never looked it up for dvds or video but i'm guessing it isnt available because the means is not (the companies make it "impossible")

as for the personal attack, i admit that it was a violation.

however, it seems as though you forgot about rule # x, "Padding your post count with one line posts or other attempts at flooding the forum with posts."

which the first 2 repliers are in clear violation of. they did not answer with anything substantial nor did they answer the question seriously. it is also noted that these posters were not so much as warned for their inappropriate behaviour.. no doubt because they have padded their post counts in the past to reach that "cushion level"
Old 04-06-05, 06:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
wavin_goodbye,

Let's wait until you've been here a little longer before you start telling members which rules you think they've broken.

As it is, you're on very, very thin ice with this post:
PS: just goes to show that my theory is correct... morons don't know good music