DVD viewing & Daylight Savings Time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD viewing & Daylight Savings Time?

Daylight Savings ruins DVD watching.

I am a night person.

Still don't see why we have to change the clock once a year. It makes no sense at all.

April won't be affected that much since it will get dark around 8pm but in Mid June and July when the sun does not go down until 9:15pm that is when it becomes real sh*tty.

Do you think it is kind of depressing to watch a dvd when the sun is still out?

The light comes through the shades.

How do you adjust?

Last edited by AlanFaneca; 04-04-05 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A light controlled room makes it dark anytime you wish.
Old 04-04-05, 03:28 PM

Try curtains...
Old 04-04-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Reschedule your DVD viewing for 1:00am - 5:00am.

Bonus is that you probably won't have your movie-watching interruped by phone calls.
Old 04-04-05, 03:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's official. We've now had a thread on every possible subject having anything remotely to do with DVDs.
Old 04-04-05, 03:44 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
It's official. We've now had a thread on every possible subject having anything remotely to do with DVDs.

agreed!!!
Old 04-04-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, extra sunlight is depressing. Sigh. Paint your windows black.

Last edited by Wannabe; 04-04-05 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Close your eyes.

I don't think it's 'depressing,' but it better be a good dvd that grabs my attention, otherwise I'm sitting there thinking 'Man, I should be out mowing the lawn...'

What'll be tough is getting my son to bed at his bedtime [8-830] when it's still bright outside and he wants to play. We'll definitely have to cover his windows with something, because even though it's still light at 8 pm, wake-up time is still 730.

Oh yeah, and it's Daylight SavING time.

Don't like DST?
http://www.standardtime.com/
Old 04-04-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I completely agree with the original poster.

It's very fortunate that so many of us have dedicated rooms with ambient light control, but some of must make due with the architecture as we find it. For myself, that's a window that runs the length of the back of the room, and at least enough ambient light during daylight hours to be less than ideal for movie-watching.

(Black-out curtains are not an option... my wife puts up with the monitor, the large speakers well off the walls and far into the room, etc.... but not black-out curtains, as the line apparently must be drawn somewhere.)

And, by July, I count the minutes until 9:00pm (or even later), when it's finally dark enough to really enjoy a movie. On the upside, I have enough daylight hours to tend the crops, milk the cows, feed the chickens...

I never started a thread on the subject, but daylight savings time certainly effects my DVD watching. That, and getting up an hour earlier (yawn).
Old 04-04-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
...And, by July, I count the minutes until 9:00pm (or even later), when it's finally dark enough to really enjoy a movie...
Same with me. Twelve windows, most of them big picture windows, means I can't watch DVDs until after dark. Trying to cover them isn't an option. In retrospect, I wish I had designed a dedicated home theater room when I built my house. But I didn't know such things existed at the time. So I make do.
Old 04-04-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Yup, me too. I have to delay watching films until 9:00 - 9:30.
No biggie as I still like the extra hour of daylight.
Old 04-04-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You crazy kids.
Old 04-04-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
As silly as it sounds to some, I also have to agree with the OP. My place was built with the main window to the room facing west, which makes it very difficult to not only darken the room, but block the window enough to cut the glare off the TV as the sun totally pounds through that window in the afternoon. This is true even inthe winter. I got custom wood blinds and curtains, which helps but doesn't completely kill the light. In the summer it's near impossible since I don't have air conditioning so the windows are open and any breeze blows the blinds and/or curtains.

Granted, there are more pressing issues in the world, but hey, this is DVDTalk, dammit!
Old 04-04-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanFaneca
Still don't see why we have to change the clock once a year.
Uh, we change twice a year... I digress....

If ya don't wanna change your clock, just move to Arizona, Hawaii or Indiana.

Oh, and I agree with wendersfan. Good job to the OP
Old 04-04-05, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If ya don't wanna change your clock, just move to Arizona, Hawaii or Indiana.
Forget Indiana. It appears we are about to screw up and involve ourselves with the clock changing idiocy.

Not that I have a strong opinion on that or anything....
Old 04-04-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by snoopygirl
Forget Indiana. It appears we are about to screw up and involve ourselves with the clock changing idiocy.

Not that I have a strong opinion on that or anything....
Wow, I didn't know this. How does something like this get changed? Governor? Legislature? Ballot issue?
Old 04-04-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I much prefer when the sun comes up at 7:00 am and goes down at 5:00 pm or so. Oh well, only about 7 months till all is well and it gets corrected once again.
Old 04-04-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm happy to watch films at any time of day. I once spent a whole day viewing stuff, from the minute I woke up until the minute I went to bed. As you can tell, I very much live life in the fast lane. I hope none of you are too jealous.
Old 04-04-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
I hope none of you are too jealous.
Normally I might be, but I tend to spend the extra time listening to good music, eating good food, and having sex with a beautiful young woman. You should try it.

K
Old 04-05-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Wear Ray Bans
Old 04-05-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
It's very fortunate that so many of us have dedicated rooms with ambient light control, but some of must make due with the architecture as we find it.

Must make do? Why?

When I decided I wanted a home theater a few years ago, I started making plans. Those plans included a house with a dedicated light controlled room. Since the house I was living in didn't have the correct architecture, I decided to move. Two years later we were moved into the new house and 9 months after that our theater was operational. You don't have to make due with anything.

Stew
Old 04-05-05, 08:44 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be grateful you don't live in Alaska.
Old 04-05-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch movies any time of day or night so, the fact that the sun is shining has no bearing on my watching schedule. That and the fact that when I close the blinds in my HT, the only light seen comes from the DLP.
Old 04-05-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanstew
Must make do? Why?

When I decided I wanted a home theater a few years ago, I started making plans. Those plans included a house with a dedicated light controlled room. Since the house I was living in didn't have the correct architecture, I decided to move. Two years later we were moved into the new house and 9 months after that our theater was operational. You don't have to make due with anything.

Stew
If you don't have a dedicated hometheater room move? Sorry but that's terribly silly.
Old 04-05-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spartanstew
Must make do? Why?

Stew
So, after a substantial monetary investment, the securing of spousal approval, and three years rolling by... you're asking why some of us "must make do"?

Signing off from the real world,

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.