Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2: fix or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 06:54 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
PS2: fix or buy new?

Our PS2 is having trouble with a few discs. They say it never gives the DRE, but just doesn't load a few discs, or takes quite some time to load, games such as the latest Nascar game or Mercenaries. It does plays most white and blue discs, but has trouble with almost all DVDs. My sons also claim that it seems to act slower overall than it used to.

Normally I would simply buy a new unit, but here is my question. It was told to me, (by someone knowledgeable and whom I trust), that the new slim PS2s are having quite a bit more problems than the older style, which is what we currently have. Hesitant about that, should I simply clean the laser and the the laser slides, (I don't think I would have to adjust the laser since there are no DREs), or buy a new one and not worry about it? If I get a new one I would likely give the old one away, so we wouldn't have that one as a backup in case the new one goes out.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Hmm... we had a thread on this not too long ago, but I don't remember people having problems with their slimline PS2s. There was discussion about how hot it gets, but as long as it's not on carpet or anything, I think the consensus was that it's fine.

Personally, I need a new PS2 too, but I figure my old PS2 is good enough to last until the next price cut.
Old 03-31-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put in 10 hour sessions on the new ps2 with no problems. I guess be sensible about not leaving it on carpet etc. However mine sits ontop of the old ps2 in an enclosed cabinet and it seems fine.
Old 04-01-05, 01:35 PM

This is how my problems started on my old PS2 and it just went downhill from there. Pretty soon it got to where it wouldn't even play any disk. I tried cleaning the laser and everything I possible could just to keep from having to buy a new one. I finally broke down and bought one. I haven't had any problems and I play it constantly. By the way, I stuck my broken PS2 on Ebay along with a broken XBox that had the same problem and fetched 200.00 for them which is what I used to buy my new PS2
Old 04-01-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Usually, the older PS2s start acting up when it began having problems playing the CD-ROMs (blue disc). This is mainly due to the laser angle needing adjustments, as well as the blue CD-ROMs being thinner than the DVD-ROMs. A combination of the Scotch tape trick [put a few pieces of tape around the center of the disc] and manually adjusting the laser angle [This requires opening up your PS2 and effectively voids the warranty. You will need to make your way to a wheel that adjusts the laser angle, search on the 'net for illustrated instructions.] should take care of the problem. Of course, this is not a good idea if you lack the mechanical aptitute to take apart your PS2 and then put it back together.
Old 04-01-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by danegger
By the way, I stuck my broken PS2 on Ebay along with a broken XBox that had the same problem and fetched 200.00 for them which is what I used to buy my new PS2
How in the world did you get that much?
Old 04-03-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it really doesn't take much work to fix one if you know what you're doing otherwise i would say get a new one. i have seen a new ps2 get hot, but my idiot friend had it enclosed in a small tv stand along with a receiver etc. when i pulled one disc out it was very warm. if you really think about it the only reason one is bigger than the other was for the use of a hard disk with that big online player game, sony now killed that, and did change some stuff on the board which is bad for modders but good for general public.

just make sure you don't use the dual shock control you might get sued by some company who wants a trillion dollars