Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I just purchased Elektra

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
I just purchased Elektra

I don't recall what DVDtalk's policy is regarding discussing stores that break release date's so I'll just say a chain near where I live sold this (and Closer) before it, a bit earlier than scheduled.

Anyhoo, for a blind buy, I enjoyed it despite it's flaws (of which it has many). I can only assume a DC willl be in the works because this film is paced like a 150 minute movie when it only runs for about 96 minutes (including credits). Terence Stamp and Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa are terribly underused and, in the end, I felt I knew less about Elektra in her own film than I did in either version of Daredevil.

As for the DVD itself, I found it rather ho-hum. If your expecting a repeat of the great AV quality of both Daredevil releases, you'll be sorely disapointed. Although there's some fine detail, the picture is mostly soft. I don't know if this is an acurate representation of the theatrical presentation, though. I should also mention that very noticable (although never extreme) edge enhancement pops up every so often. I say noticeable because I wasn't even looking for it and yet it was obvious. On the audio side, I only listened to the DTS track but I was unimpressed. There's a lot of bass and the disc is reasonably loud but it's mostly front heavy. In fact, I never noticed the surrounds kick in until 32 minutes into the film. At that point, Elektra is standing at a pier and all the sounds are coming from the front. Two guys show up and dissappear, there's a whooshing sound that passes through all the speakers and then suddenly the pier is alive with the sounds you'd expect from a well made 5.1 mix (and this isn't even an action sequence). Sadly, it doesn't last and the surrounds are mostly silent throughout the rest of the film unless a fight is going on and for a precious few musical cues.
Old 03-30-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just bought Elektra? Heh heh...sucker.
Old 03-30-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh. I figured "how bad can it be?" It wasn't terrible so I don't feel bad about my purchase. But I wasn't wowed either. I just thought it was okay, so I certainly don't feel like a sucker.
Old 03-30-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of $$$.

I can't tease too much. I have Catwoman. It is so bad that I love it. Maybe that will be the case for some of you with this one.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-30-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys do realize the reason I posted this was for those who might be interested in this release, as I know there were some here that genuinely liked this movie. The jokes are funny and all but...
Old 03-30-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I'll be buying it,i don't care if the movie sucks or not,i never pass up an opportunity to check out Jennifer Garner.
Old 03-30-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess that's as good a reason as any. Well the movie doesn't totally suck but it is somewhat underwhelming. I feel there was tons cut as too little is explained and it seems to take it's time to get things going when the film doesn't really have much time available.

As for Garner oogling, although she obviously gets more screentime here than in Daredevil (and she looks better here too), the films is so darkly lit you might not find it to your liking just to stare at Garner. Even the daytime scenes seem unreasonably dark at times. I know it was an artistic choice but it still seems weird.
Old 03-30-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I am going to wait for the inevitable double dip on this one.
Old 03-30-05, 06:35 PM

Couldn't be any worse than Catwoman....
Old 03-30-05, 07:17 PM

Nothing could be as bas as Catwoman....Im not one for blind buys so I think I'll rent it first. Im interested in seeing the deleted scence with Ben Affleck.
Old 03-30-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh, the only reason I'm getting it is because it's a Marvel movie. Gotta get them all.
Old 03-30-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

slave to consumerism eh?
Old 03-30-05, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duff beer
slave to consumerism eh?
No, I believe the word you were looking for was "fan".
Old 03-30-05, 08:56 PM

consumer whore!
Old 03-30-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
To the original poster, I was just wondering if this came in a standard amary case with or without a slip. Not that it matters, but since you have it I'd like to know. I may buy this next week, i enjoyed it. Not great, not bad. How are the extras?
Old 03-30-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by duff beer
slave to consumerism eh?
Well that is why there is money. If you hate consumerism then quit your job and become homeless. Only way you will get away from it.
Old 03-30-05, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by emhello
Couldn't be any worse than Catwoman....
No it can't and it isn't. Doesn't mean it's good though. The movie has a few good moments and Director Rob Bowman can do atmosphere very well but the action sequences are kinda lame & the screenplay has as many holes as you'd expect. And yes, Terrence Stamp was barely used.
Old 03-30-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Libby
Im interested in seeing the deleted scence with Ben Affleck.
http://broadband.foxhome.com/elektra...omeback_hi.wmv
Old 03-30-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The deleted scene with Ben Affleck is very brief. The only reason I can see for cutting it is that Elektra is too friendly with Mark Miller and the studio probably feared making her look like a whore if she's flirting with one guy while pining for Matt. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the two kiss scenes were last minute additions much like the sex scene in Dardevil.

As for the case, it's a sigle amaray case with a slip cover that is basically the same artwork as found on the case, There is an insert, for those who might care to know, that features a picture of Garner as Elektra that I sort of like better than the actual cover shot.

I haven't seen all the special features but they are pretty standard stuff. I should note that the editing featurettes have nothing to do with editing. They are just promotional spots for the film with Rob Bowman in the diting room showing a clip of the movie in each segment to wet the appetites of potential viewers. The only thing noteworthy of this is that first clip shows a different version of Elektra's ressurection complete with a new Terrence Stamp narration. I have a funny feeling, based on the dialogue, that this was meant to be the original opening. All the other clips are much the same as in the finished film.

There's also the comic-con promo footage that Garner did to promote the film but I skipped this pretty quick.

There are only three deleted scenes (including the Affleck cameo). The first is an alternate scene that should have been left in (the scene with the bow and arrow, as is featured in the finished film, was silly given it was a poor assasination tool if she were intending too off two people in a row quickly). The last was another Terrence Stamp scene but it was redundant and rightfully cut.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-31-05 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-30-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by RocShemp
The only reason I can see for cutting it is that Elektra is too friendly with Mark Miller and the studio probably feared making her look like a whore if she's flirting with one guy while pining for Matt.
Assassin for hire? Cool. Whore? Hell NO.
Old 03-31-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I wish they had put a commentary with Garner on the DVD.
Old 03-31-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Assassin for hire? Cool. Whore? Hell NO.
It's stupid, I know, but studios tend to freak out about things that would make their films' protagonists less likeable and sometimes forget the obvious. As you said, Elektra opted to become an assassin for hire. Not exactly the most simpathetic character. Instead of delving into why she turned out this way, they saddle her with an annoying brat that's supposed to "soften" her and a potential love interest. Sadly, in case of the potential love interest, all references to Matt had to go.

It's kind of like that test screening scene toward the beginning of the director's cut of Kate & Leopold.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-31-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-31-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Well that is why there is money. If you hate consumerism then quit your job and become homeless. Only way you will get away from it.
Oops i guess the correct term is actually consumer whore like the poster who said it first.
Old 03-31-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll pass on Elektra, I'll pass on Jennifer Garner.
Old 03-31-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I too enjoyed the movie, I don't know why everyone hates this movie? And why does everyone hate Ben Affleck? I don't get that either!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.