Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP Worth It?

Old 03-29-05, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSP Worth It?

i was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the PSP is worth buying. i know its suppose to be really cool, but is it really worth $250 ???
Old 03-29-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404343
Old 03-29-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
If you're a bum living on the street, and have to whore yourself out to lonely old men to scrape up the $250, then no, it's not worth it.

If you make over $1,000,000 a year, and wipe your butt with hundred dollar bills, then yes it is.

For everyone else... it depends.
Old 03-29-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
The way you worded the question is a little odd, because as people have said, if it's worth it or not depends on who you are and what circumstance you're in. For instance, if you're a millionaire and absolutely hate videogames, then it's not worth it, is it? All people can do is tell you why or why not it's worth it to them.

For me, the 250 is justified. Sure, I'd have liked to just get the system itself for less than 200, but I understand why Sony did what they did. I honestly expected it to retail for much more than this, so in retrospect, 250 seems like a good deal. You get a beautiful piece of hardware which plays games with graphics that have never been seen in a handheld before. In addition, you can swap out memory sticks and put movies, music, and photos on it. And I love videogames, the games that are out appeal to me, and I have enough disposable income to afford it.

The 50 dollar games and 30 dollar UMD movies are killers, though. I haven't bought a 50 dollar game yet, but I had little problem finding 40 dollars worth of fun in each of the games I got: Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal, and Lumines.

As for the playing it outside part: I do play it inside, but I use it when the TV is otherwise occupied by my wife. Or when we're getting ready for bed and I don't want to bother her with the TV being on. Also, it's great for trips and to waste some time while you're waiting in the car. If you download some TV eps into it, even my wife will use it as a portable player on cartrips while I'm driving somewhere. Further, I like the pick-up-and-play aspect of most portable games, to be able to quickly boot up, play, and turn it off in a short amount of time.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-29-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I think it's worth it... that screen is boss
Actually maybe not.. it's a ripoff... give your money to charity
Nah it's kinda worth it to be able to watch "24" on the potty (I got a bunker buster for ya Jack Bauer!)
meh
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=worth
(head explodes)
Old 03-29-05, 05:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had to break down my reasons for picking one up...

25% - I wanted a portable system for those times I'm on road trips, have to go on work-related trips, vacations, etc. to occupy my time. I had also considered both the Advance SP and DS for this purpose.

60% - I had also wanted something that played movies on the go, as portable as possible. I had been looking into getting an Archos-type media player ($400 or more) for that purpose, or a portable DVD player. Not only for the trip sand such, but just so I could have another way to watch the excessive amount of tv shows I'm into. The fact that you could copy movies to a memory card and watch them on the PSP was the primary selling point for me.

5% - The convenience of the system. By this I mean, yes, I can play it on the couch. Or I can move it into the kitchen, whatever. I can play a little of my game without completely isolating myself from society.

10% - It's a cool gadget. Of course that was PART of the sell, I won't lie.

After I pick up a memory card I will have spent around $350 for the system and the memory stick... I don't count the cost of the software because EVERYTHING requires software... a PS2, an XBOX, a DVD player, etc. By that logic my old NES cost well over a grand, and my DVD player cost several thousand bucks! I was potentially going to spend $150 for a DS and at least $200 for a decent portable DVD player (or $400+ for an Archos). This seemed like a much better deal.
Old 03-29-05, 05:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes
Old 03-29-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I ask myself that same question. Do all those people paying 500 for this and its countless accessories and games really need to be playing that much outside their homes? Or as I suspect, they only buy it because its cool and play it on their couch besides their 50'' tv and PlayStation 2?
I bought one because I can't take my 51" HDTV and PS2/XBOX/GC (and play games) to my bedroom, kitchen, toilet, garage, garden, lanai, office, mall (while wife is shopping), and trips.

Edit: My wife wants one also so we can play Lumines against each other (at home or during plane rides). Before the PSP, my wife only plays Mario games with her GB/GBA/GBASP and never touched any other games. With the PSP, she is playing Lumines, Ridge Racer, Untold Legends, and Ape Escape. So, I am planning to get her one soon.

With those in mind... it is worth it for me to get a PSP for myself and one more for my wife.

Last edited by IamFlip; 03-29-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Lanai? You must be from HI... sorry to take this thread off-topic, but how did the PSP fare in Hawaii? There's still no Bestbuy there, right? Sold out, or too many? Just curious.

Man, playing Lumines two player does sound cool... but that would be another 290, right? Or does Lumines allow two player with one cartridge?
Old 03-29-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Lanai? You must be from HI... sorry to take this thread off-topic, but how did the PSP fare in Hawaii? There's still no Bestbuy there, right? Sold out, or too many? Just curious.

Man, playing Lumines two player does sound cool... but that would be another 290, right? Or does Lumines allow two player with one cartridge?
BestBuy is currently building their store here in Honolulu and will be open soon. PSP is sold out in most places here.