Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Books About The Beatles

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Books About The Beatles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Books About The Beatles

I'm currently finishing up The Love You Make and am looking for other Beatles books worthy of being read. I picked the aforementioned book because it was recommended as the best insider book written. I was sort of bummed that it didn't really touch on the process of writing and recording the actual albums.

I came across the two George Martin books With a Little Help from My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper and All You Need Is Ears : The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles. I suppose I'll pick up those two.

BTW, tell me George Martin had nothing to do with that title - All You Need Is Ears : The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles. Martin calling himself a genius AND crediting himself with creating the Beatles?
Old 03-29-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My old roommate had a book called "A Hard Day's Write" that told the story behind all The Beatles songs.
Old 03-29-05, 02:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Shout: The Beatles In Their Generation by Philip Norman is my personal favorite of the dozens of books I've read about the fab four.
Old 03-29-05, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favorite is A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles HERE

I like how it focuses primarily on how the songs developed, where the influences came from, and how the albums came together. Very good read.
Old 03-29-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead

I like how it focuses primarily on how the songs developed, where the influences came from, and how the albums came together. Very good read.
Good. This is specifically what I'm looking for. I'm very interested in the sea change of post-Help! Beatles compositions.

Thanks for the other recommendations as well.
Old 03-30-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead

Another vote for this one. I have read a few Beatles books and this one is by far the most interesting if you want the stories behind every song.

This is one of the few books I have kept and go back to regularly for reference when listening to songs.
Old 03-30-05, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theres a good book called "Beatlesongs" by William J Dowldling that basically breaks down every song in their discography chronologically and explains how much of each Lennon/McCartney song was written by either member (it actually lists percentages and explains if one wrote the bridge, it would count as 25%, for example) actually wrote with quotes on basically every song from members of the band. Its a really fascinating read.