Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What, if any, security precautions do you take regarding your DVD collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fairly sizeable collection and I have them displayed in my den on some nice media shelves, but I'm starting to wonder whether this is such a good idea.

We are about to have some work done in the house and that is what has prompted my thoughts about security. Also, my kids are getting old enough that their friends regularly cruise through the house and occasionally watch movies in the den.

It is a simple fact that if someone randomly plucked a few titles from my shelves, I would not notice they were missing until the next time I sought one of them out to watch.

I have my collection on dvdaficionado to help me keep track of it, but I am curious to know if anyone has gone to a more secure filing system than display shelves where you keep the media under lock and key and, if so, what do you use?

Does anyone use anything like this, and if so how do you like it?

An ideal solution would be a walk in closet "wine cellar" type room that I could claim as my own and keep under lock and key, but that will never happen in my current house.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 03-29-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- In the case of major theft or my house burning down, I have renter's insurance (I rent my house).
- I like having my collection on an open shelf for easy access and viewing.
- Those shelves wouldn't hold NEARLY enough, I'd need like 3-4 of those things.

I'm not sure what you can do about workers going through the house... that's a problem that can affect more than just movies... When my DW and I build our next house, it'll have a seperate (lockable) home theater room, where the movies will reside.

Last edited by ShagMan; 03-29-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the absolute best approach is to have a dedicated walk-in closet (or even separate room, as ShagMan plans). That will be my eventual plan when I buy a house. For now, I'm renting an apartment and simply don't have the facilities to store my collection under proper lock and key. And being in an apartment, I do have to deal with the occasional maintenance person coming in when I'm not home. So I have invested in three locking cabinets (smaller than the ones shown) that each hold about 200 DVD's. They were fairly inexpensive ($40 or so apiece) and are hardly impregnable, but at least the contents can't be accessed without obvious effort. Sadly, I still have another 500 disks or so that are sitting in boxes right now, because I don't really have the space for many more cabinets. So I may end up getting one of those larger capacity units so I can at least keep most of my collection under some sort of lock and key.

But to make a long story short, I absolutely beleive you need to put your collection under some sort of lockdown if you have strangers regularly coming through your home, because sooner or later someone is going to grab something and you probably won't notice it missing (at least for awhile).
Old 03-29-05, 11:41 AM

Long term: lock & key. Short term: If your computer is anywhere near your DVDs, buy a webcam. It usually comes with software that will have a motion-sensor feature built in. Point it towards your DVD collection and it will record anytime there is movement wherever it's pointing. I did this in a previous house with several roommates - I caught someone rifling through my belongings this way. It may not be practical to monitor 24/7, but you could run it while the workmen are at your house.
Old 03-29-05, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my DVDs high enough that my kids can't reach them.
Old 03-29-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I lock my doors
Old 03-29-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past I had my collection situated such that someone passing by our house could potentially see it from the sidewalk. It bothered me so much that I moved to a different wall. Too much of an incentive for a potential thief.

After my wife graduates we have talked about a little larger house with a basement setup as a game room/home theater. I will feel alot better if that happens.
Old 03-29-05, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the comments. The solution is clear - I need a bigger house with a finished basement. Until then, I might try one of those locking cabinets (that www.storehouserock.com site has a big selection). They're no great shakes in the looks department, but at least you couldn't stick one in your coat pocket.

That's a very good point cajun junky (re being able to see a wall of dvd's from the street).

Last edited by Loc Nar; 03-29-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Loc Nar
They're no great shakes in the looks department...
Or the locks department. I'm not familar with the exact model you posted, but on most of these cabinets, the locks are nothing more than a joke. We have a cabinet and still had to baby proof it since the two year old had little problem opening the case, locked or not.

It may be that the particular cabinet you're looking at is much studier than ours, but I'd bet the lock is still not much of a theft deterent. It might stop neighborhood kids, but not a real thief. You'll get more security from it simply being "out of sight, out of mind". But it does help with dust.
Old 03-29-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Does out of sight, out of mind mean your dvds at an unknown pawn shop? Thats what happened to me. Fortunately I did a little investigative work and got my dvds back and he got time in the pen. I'm a little anxious everyday when Im ready to unlock my front door. It's hard to get over that after it has happened before.
Old 03-29-05, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Does out of sight, out of mind mean your dvds at an unknown pawn shop? Thats what happened to me. Fortunately I did a little investigative work and got my dvds back and he got time in the pen. I'm a little anxious everyday when Im ready to unlock my front door. It's hard to get over that after it has happened before.

That is a nightmare. I'm glad you got them back. How do you store them now?
Old 03-29-05, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Or the locks department. I'm not familar with the exact model you posted, but on most of these cabinets, the locks are nothing more than a joke. We have a cabinet and still had to baby proof it since the two year old had little problem opening the case, locked or not.

It may be that the particular cabinet you're looking at is much studier than ours, but I'd bet the lock is still not much of a theft deterent. It might stop neighborhood kids, but not a real thief. You'll get more security from it simply being "out of sight, out of mind". But it does help with dust.
I absolutely agree it would not stop a determined thief (not much would) but I think it would help with neighborhood kid "borrowers" and would keep workers/plumbers/maids from being tempted. A house burglar alarm is a given precaution.
Old 03-29-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When we (the wife and I) move into a house next year or the year after, I'm definately gonna have a dedicated HT room with its own seperate lock.
Old 03-29-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely agree it would not stop a determined thief (not much would) but I think it would help with neighborhood kid "borrowers" and would keep workers/plumbers/maids from being tempted. A house burglar alarm is a given precaution.
Clearly you have the right idea here. The lock wouldn't keep a neighborhood kid out, but they also wouldn't want to break it to get to the discs. That should be enough to keep them out.

The "out of sight, out of mind" has more to do with those annoying people who think you're a Blockbuster. I can't remember the last time someone asked to borrow a disc. To me that's the greatest benefit of a locking cabinet.
Old 03-29-05, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Clearly you have the right idea here. The lock wouldn't keep a neighborhood kid out, but they also wouldn't want to break it to get to the discs. That should be enough to keep them out.

The "out of sight, out of mind" has more to do with those annoying people who think you're a Blockbuster. I can't remember the last time someone asked to borrow a disc. To me that's the greatest benefit of a locking cabinet.
Yep, at least if I see a broken lock, I'll sure as hell know something is missing.
Old 03-29-05, 04:46 PM

Homeowner's insurance and not letting people who I don't see regularly borrow them.
Old 03-29-05, 05:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have mine in a dresser in my closet. Sure it doesn't look as impressive as having them display on a shelf (my preference). But I can't run the risk of visitors taking them or always asking to borrow them......I'm not blockbuster!
Old 03-29-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry to all the veterens of the boards who have heard this all before.

Walk-in-closet was converted into a private film vault. It holds all my films and film related books and reference material.

It's locked via electronic lock and alarm.

I have two very protective dogs....a rott(Titan) and a black GS(Dario). Steal my collection....get turned into hamburger.

I do have a nice gun...but I would never shoot anybody(in the head).

But a few shots to the knee caps hurts a little bit....especially with a dog on each arm.
Old 03-29-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Sorry to all the veterens of the boards who have heard this all before.

Walk-in-closet was converted into a private film vault. It holds all my films and film related books and reference material.

It's locked via electronic lock and alarm.

I have two very protective dogs....a rott(Titan) and a black GS(Dario). Steal my collection....get turned into hamburger.

I do have a nice gun...but I would never shoot anybody(in the head).

But a few shots to the knee caps hurts a little bit....especially with a dog on each arm.
Gut you should just turn your DVD Closet into a Panic Room
Old 03-30-05, 08:38 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Display the easily-replaced, loanable stuff your kids are like to watch with their friends. Lock up the expensive, OOP and collectibles.
Old 03-30-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Mission Impossible 3: The gutwrencher Film Vault Caper
Old 03-19-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a fairly sizeable collection and I have them displayed in my den on some nice media shelves, but I'm starting to wonder whether this is such a good idea.

We are about to have some work done in the house and that is what has prompted my thoughts about security.
Your DVD's are your most valuable asset? Wouldn't the workers steal jewelry, art, computers, etc?
Old 03-19-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Locking cabinets are not the greatest security for DVDs but I do use them mainly to keep the dust out.
Old 03-20-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I have mine in a dresser in my closet. Sure it doesn't look as impressive as having them display on a shelf (my preference). But I can't run the risk of visitors taking them or always asking to borrow them......I'm not blockbuster!
I'm the same way. Except for the whole not allowing others to borrow my films part. If someone borrows my movies, I get them back. If they are damaged, whoever borrowed them replaces them. If I can't trust a friend with something as simple as a dvd, why would I want them as a friend?

I also don't have people in my house that I don't trust. If someone breaks in, I have insurance.
Old 03-20-06, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put spring-loaded razor blades into each case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.