Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 2 DLC: Actual, Real Info Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo 2 DLC: Actual, Real Info Now Available

See www.bungie.net -- may questions finally answered.

No freaking Hang 'Em High!
Old 03-25-05, 01:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Before the lynch mob gets in here, it says everything will be free by the end of the summer with 2 maps being free in the short term.
Old 03-25-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I just got through reading Bungie's update myself and was gonna post. Here's a brief synopsis: The first two new maps will be out for free sometime in the late part of April. They are (drumroll):

Containment

Looks freaking huge. They say it will be mostly used for CTF and other sort of team based games.

The other free map:

Warlock

Looks like this is far smaller and mostly used for slayer. Me likey.

At the same time Bungie will be releasing two more maps for a fee of $5.99. They are:

Turf

Ooh, urban warfare looks cool. Lots of alleys and buildings innards to fight in.

Sanctuary

Their new picturesque level. Looks to be mostly for slayer.

Now that that is out of the way, they are releasing nine maps in total with the other five becoming available June 28th as either a downloadable package or in stores with the others at a price of $19.99. The retail version also comes with a couple of bonuses; a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the maps and some sort of extended backstory segment. If twenty bucks is too much for you, then you'll be happy to find out that all nine maps will be available for free over XBox live by the end of the summer.

Well that's about it. I, for one, can't wait.
Old 03-25-05, 02:11 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this is going to give me a reason to sign back on Live! I kind of got bored with Halo when I bottomed out at lvl 11 and didn't move any higher. I had no idea they were making a total of 9 new maps, that's freaking sweet!

I wish they'd add other stuff like a player skin like the Brute or Grunts. Or even that little ATV type vehicle that got cut or maybe even that Plasma Rocket Launcher available in single player. Maps are good though.
Old 03-25-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They probably shouldn't announce the release date. Imagine how badly their servers are going to be slammed. That download might take all freaking day to get.
Old 03-25-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the new maps look great and i can't wait to try the new 2 Vs 2 mode.
Old 03-25-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what crap, wow a halo expansion pack lets put bungie away from a good game company into the greedy crap selling pile over here. this is crap if this thing is going to be hyped as much as halo 2 then just turn out to be ok i'll be pissed i spent $20 on it. they took all this time to do some maps, freaking maps, where is the halo movie yeah i could give a crap about maps if there was a halo movie.
Old 03-25-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
what crap, wow a halo expansion pack lets put bungie away from a good game company into the greedy crap selling pile over here. this is crap if this thing is going to be hyped as much as halo 2 then just turn out to be ok i'll be pissed i spent $20 on it. they took all this time to do some maps, freaking maps, where is the halo movie yeah i could give a crap about maps if there was a halo movie.

So what you are saying is that you are neither good at reading or writing? Amazing.

If twenty bucks is too much for you, then you'll be happy to find out that all nine maps will be available for free over XBox live by the end of the summer.
Old 03-25-05, 06:24 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
I wish they'd add other stuff like a player skin like the Brute or Grunts. Or even that little ATV type vehicle that got cut or maybe even that Plasma Rocket Launcher available in single player. Maps are good though.
Bungie has already gone on record that none of that type stuff is coming IIRC. I know they said the Fuel Rod Gun (Plasma Rocket Launcher you mention) is just too powerful for multiplayer, and I agree. They have also said that support for adding additional skins just isn't in the game, which is probably good since there are serious balance issues that would have to be addressed with vastly diferrent sized skins (i.e. grunts). Look at what a disadvantage it is to use the Elite skin today...

Also, the five other maps (no pictures yet) are: Terminal, Relic, Elongation, Gemini and Backwash. My guess is that Elongation is a remake of Longest from the original Halo. It is probably longer than the original (among other changes).

Finally, there are reportedly 5 new gametypes already out on the April OXM disc. They are Peacemakers, Covie Gulch, Classic CTF Tank, Swords No radar, and Golden Showers. I do not know whether we will be able to download these via Live soon...

Last edited by JM; 03-25-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warlock looks really nice. I have yet to play my copy of Halo 2 yet, but I can still marvel at the pretty pictures.
Old 03-25-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Containment & Turf look awesome!
Old 03-25-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maps look great.

I also got bored with Halo and Live. Looks like I'll use one of my free 2 month trials to see how the maps are.
Old 03-25-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the looks of those maps. I want my download content free damn it!! Let the suckers who don't have live pay for the extras.
Old 03-25-05, 11:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

it is free, or at least in a few months
Old 03-26-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
So what you are saying is that you are neither good at reading or writing? Amazing.
What crap, wow a Halo 2 expansion pack lets put Bungie away from a good game company into the greedy crap selling pile over here. This is crap if this thing is going to be hyped as much as Halo 2; then just turn out to be alright I’ll be pissed I spent twenty dollars on it. They took all this time to do some maps, freaking maps, where is the Halo movie yeah I could give a crap about maps if there was a Halo movie.

There flashburn is that better? All capitalized and punctuated and everything just for you.

You know I really have no idea why you’re trying to flame bait me, but really, I stated my own opinion and you jump up my ass like a proctologist. Really, I didn’t know that by stating my opinion made me “neither good at reading or writing?” But hey I’ll leave that you, ‘cause you’re the all knowing ever powerful personal attack cock-bite.

And by the way I still think Bungie’s idea sucks.
Old 03-26-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JM
Bungie has already gone on record that none of that type stuff is coming IIRC. I know they said the Fuel Rod Gun (Plasma Rocket Launcher you mention) is just too powerful for multiplayer, and I agree. They have also said that support for adding additional skins just isn't in the game, which is probably good since there are serious balance issues that would have to be addressed with vastly diferrent sized skins (i.e. grunts). Look at what a disadvantage it is to use the Elite skin today...

Also, the five other maps (no pictures yet) are: Terminal, Relic, Elongation, Gemini and Backwash. My guess is that Elongation is a remake of Longest from the original Halo. It is probably longer than the original (among other changes).

Finally, there are reportedly 5 new gametypes already out on the April OXM disc. They are Peacemakers, Covie Gulch, Classic CTF Tank, Swords No radar, and Golden Showers. I do not know whether we will be able to download these via Live soon...
yup the new oxm has them, they are just custom games done up by people at bungie. golden showers is fun i've played that and peacemakers. in golden showers you get the yellow laser beam thing and that is it. and peacemakers is all handguns.
Old 03-26-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Before the lynch mob gets in here, it says everything will be free by the end of the summer with 2 maps being free in the short term.

yeah i read that, but i still think that is just crap. bungie is owned by the biggest software company in the world, i don't think by giving everything away for free right from the start would hurt them. they're just cashing in like an all powerful greedy company.
Old 03-26-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These maps look pretty damn good and may get me back into the game. I'm just not sure if I should pay or wait it out.
Old 03-26-05, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
These maps look pretty damn good and may get me back into the game. I'm just not sure if I should pay or wait it out.
With Splinter Cell & Doom 3 out in the next 2 weeks and GTA 4 out on Xbox in June, I think I can wait it out til it is all free.
Old 03-26-05, 07:44 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
yeah i read that, but i still think that is just crap. bungie is owned by the biggest software company in the world, i don't think by giving everything away for free right from the start would hurt them. they're just cashing in like an all powerful greedy company.
I'm pretty sure the fees go straight into Bungie's pocket. By your theory all companies should give away something for nothing, if that was the case we would have no economy. The developers are doing overtime to make the new content and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work for free.

Either pay now to get them or just wait for them to be free of charge. I personally am not offended that they are charging for the download because honestly, it's not like you are being held at gun point to do it.
Old 03-26-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably pay for the maps...I just wish they would come outu sooner. I mean, the game was released in November. 5 months is kinda a long time for two new maps for XBOX's biggest game....but oh well. Hopefully it's worth it.

Do you think maps could be transferred via memory cards if someone D/L's them, and I lend them to a friend
Old 03-26-05, 02:47 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'll probably pay for the maps...I just wish they would come outu sooner. I mean, the game was released in November. 5 months is kinda a long time for two new maps for XBOX's biggest game....but oh well. Hopefully it's worth it.
Read it again. There will be 4 maps available late next month--2 free, 2 for $5.99. 5 more maps will be available to download on June 28 for $11.99. On that same day, one can also purchase a retail disc for $19.99 containing all 9 maps and other extras.
Old 03-26-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am very excited for this and will buy the 2 extra maps when released and then buy the disc with all nine when it comes out. It will cost me a little more but i like the idea of having a hardcopy for the maps.
Old 03-26-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
BTW, those that are curious about Hang em high:

Wizard is being ported as 'Warlock', sweet! Does that mean we can expect Hang 'em High as well?

Brace yourself...Nope. Sorry. While everyone here is aware that Hang 'Em High (and to a lesser extent Sidewinder) would be massively popular, our preliminary tests with Hang 'Em High proved pretty quickly that the changed weapons and physics made it far less fun than you remember it being in Halo: Combat Evolved. Since each map was being lovingly crafted, polished and tested by a full team, we felt the resources were better spent on new maps. After all, if you loved Hang 'Em High, you can still play it on Halo CE.
Old 03-27-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
BeanDip0001 and flashburn, chill out.

BeanDip0001, read your first post again. It's not merely an opinion. It is as much a flame bait (as you put it) as flashburn's reply to your post. "what crap" is pretty much always a thread crap when it refers to the topic at hand.

flashburn, whatever you may feel that another member has done wrong, no need to fuel the flame by challenging their reading or writing skills. That's borderline personal attack. Next time, please use the button to report the post to a moderator.

Thank you both for your cooperation.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.