Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Final Cut" discussion thread...(spoilers from the get go)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 10:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

For anyone who has seen this Robin Williams film...

i read places that there are these twists and turns and usually i am pretty good, but i didn't see anythig earth shattering.

was the big point of the movie that the whole movie was just Alan's (Robin W.) rememory that Fletcher (Jim Caviezel) was watching to get the dirt on Bannister? and was this the whole reveal of the movie? if not, if someone can enlighten me.

Otherwise, very humdrum movie and nothing mind-bending at all unless i totally didn't get it.
Old 03-25-05, 11:09 AM

nobody has seen this? c'mon...
Old 03-25-05, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the twist, if you can call it that, is his memory of what happened when he was a child. The death of the other kid w/ glasses.

I agree though the movie was ehhh. I guess that's why it never made it to the theaters.
Old 03-25-05, 11:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ktan1
I think the twist, if you can call it that, is his memory of what happened when he was a child. The death of the other kid w/ glasses.

I agree though the movie was ehhh. I guess that's why it never made it to the theaters.

It was released. An exclusive with AMC theaters last fall.

And yes, that was the twist.
Old 03-25-05, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
It was released. An exclusive with AMC theaters last fall.

And yes, that was the twist.
that was it? i mean i saw that, but it was hardly a big to do. i mean we didn't even get to know Alan or how that event really changed him. he was so emotionless until that scene when they probed him. ehhh, very ehhh.

i guess Fletcher wasn't watching the rememory the whole movie or else it would have been in 1st person view. i realized that after, but i think that might have been a nice little twist if the story as a whole was done better.
Old 03-25-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty mediocre film, imo.
Old 03-25-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Thanks for letting me know to avoid this one.
Old 03-26-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Third Baseman
Pretty mediocre film, imo.
I agree - didn't like it much. The acting was pretty bad. Sorvino is such a crap actress; I have no idea how she got nominated for an academy award. Williams has played this same character before several times. Alot of this movie reminded me of Jumanji as well - and not in a good way. That one dude's fake beard was really distracting - and if it's a real beard, that guy needs to shave every day for the rest of his life and not force that mess on the world.
Old 03-26-05, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
Sorvino is such a crap actress; I have no idea how she got nominated for an academy award
nominated? she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for cripes sake. and yeah, she was awful!
Old 03-27-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched it last weekend and enjoyed it. I'd say it is definitely worth a rental.

Alan chose the life he had because he was haunted by that one childhood memory. He had no desire after that moment to have any new memories for himself, so he essentially lived through the lives of others as he cut them down to only the happiest moments. He was able to look past the trauma and crime of others since he himself shielded that out of his own past. I thought that was pretty clear.
Old 03-27-05, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
I watched it last weekend and enjoyed it. I'd say it is definitely worth a rental.

Alan chose the life he had because he was haunted by that one childhood memory. He had no desire after that moment to have any new memories for himself, so he essentially lived through the lives of others as he cut them down to only the happiest moments. He was able to look past the trauma and crime of others since he himself shielded that out of his own past. I thought that was pretty clear.
it was clear, but not done at all very well.
Old 03-28-05, 12:41 AM

There's also a point at which the cutter's have to decide "which are the key moment's in someone's life" in order to create the rememory. The one point in Alan's life was the death of another child. It is later discovered that the single most important moment for Alan was in fact false and only half true.

-ice1138
Old 03-29-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this tonight and liked it a lot, but I felt like it was holding back. It could've been much darker, they could've done more with the technology. In that sense, I'm disappointed. But I still liked the film for what it was and I can see myself watching it again in the near future.

One thing that was weird at the end is

Spoiler:
the way Fletcher kept the rabbit's foot and wore it around his neck. Why on earth would he bother taking that from the headstone?

Old 03-30-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The group I watched this with all agreed it needed another 10 minutes or so to explain a lot of the questions we were left with. It just sorta.....ended.
Old 10-31-21, 11:46 PM

Re: "The Final Cut" discussion thread...(spoilers from the get go)

Did anyone see at the end of the movie that Fletcher was wearing Louis hunts necklace while he was going through Alan's memories?? Because it was a freak car accident that was sudden I'm wondering if Louis hunt faked his death and he is actually fletcher because it wouldn't make sense for him to take the necklace that was on the grave unless it meant something to him