Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP warranty? Yeah or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
PSP warranty? Yeah or nay?

Ok, I know we've had discussions on this in the past. I recently bought a PSP at Best Buy, and got the warranty.

I know that Best buy pesters people to get warranty's on even the most trivial things (warranty for head phones) because they make money on them: most people will never have to replace anything and that's like free money for BB. But I also know Sony's track record: I used to work at a company that bought executives Vaio laptops, and inevitably each one failed right after the warranty was up. Both my PS1 and PS2 (both of which I bought at launch) had problems after the warranty was up. The PSP apparently has some pixel problems that Sony won't fix, but BB associates promise me are enough evidence for a replacement (I know, I know, trust nothing that's not in writing)

Also, with something like the PS2, if a button gets stuck (which it invariably does), I just buy a new controller. I have to replace the PSP. And the PSP warranty is supposed to be a "replacement" warranty, which means I shouldn't have to wait a month for the Best Buy guys to try to either fix it themselves or send it to whatever repair shop they own.

So is it worth it for 39 bucks? Is it easy to just go to BB before the two years are up and replace the system? I remember people saying that they bought the original PS2 for 300, then got their money back when the system went down in price and were able to buy not only a new system, but also have extra credit. Anybody who works at BB have any (non-biased) input? I'm also interested because if I ever buy an HDTV from them, I will get the warranty just because of the price of the purchase...
Old 03-24-05, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying warranty is a good thing especially there are many reported dead pixels and screen dusts on PSP.
Old 03-24-05, 11:49 PM

I would most definately get it. If it is a replacement warranty, from what I know you SHOULD just get a gift card for the original purchase price (at least that is how it worked when i was working at Staples, so dont quote me on it.). But even if it is just a new unit, I wouldn't chance it.
Old 03-25-05, 12:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

Not a bad idea in this case, who knows what kinds of probs these will have down the road.
Old 03-25-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Definitely get it. I bought my PS2 at launch and I've gotten it replaced twice. The first time, the price hadn't dropped yet. The second time, I waited until the price hit $149 and replaced it then, so I had an extra $150 in store credit. So not only did I replace a regular PS2 with one that included the network adaptor, I also got a free bundled game (ATV Offroad Fury 2) and used the store credit towards an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

One thing to keep in mind though, the original terms on the replacement plan say to call them when you have a problem and they will send you a prepaid mailing label. You then send it in and they will send you a voucher for the purchase price. I have talked to people recently though who just returned it to the store and got their voucher that way. It used to be that if you returned it to the store instead of mailing it back, they wouldn't give you the store credit if the price of the replacement had dropped. They would override the price to the original purchase price to try to get people to mail the product back, I guess so it could be tested.

To be honest though, they never tested either one of the PS2's I returned. I just claimed random disk read errors and they gave me a voucher, no questions asked. I can pretty much guarantee that within 2 years, there will be something worn out or broken on a PSP, and it really doesn't matter how minor it is. Just call 'em up, the shipping label shows up within a week or so, mail it off and the voucher shows up within another week to 2 weeks tops.

The only bad thing might be, and I'm not sure on this one, but I think you would have to return everything that came in the packaging, including the memory stick and Spiderman 2 UMD. So make sure not to throw anything away.
Old 03-25-05, 01:19 AM

the spidey2 is a bonus.... i hope we dont have to return it too
i think im gonna get the BB 2 year plan next week

does the plan expired after we exhchange our system ? or... we can exchange several times in that 2 years (of course the system is defective)
Old 03-25-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by driv3
the spidey2 is a bonus.... i hope we dont have to return it too
i think im gonna get the BB 2 year plan next week

does the plan expired after we exhchange our system ? or... we can exchange several times in that 2 years (of course the system is defective)
Do you know if we can get the plan after we buy the system? I am kind of wishing I got the plan when I bought the unit.
Old 03-25-05, 06:40 AM

yeah, they said we got 30 days to decide, just bring your recipe to their customer service
Old 03-25-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by driv3
yeah, they said we got 30 days to decide, just bring your recipe to their customer service

Cool, thanks. I think I am gonna get it, just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-25-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does Sony offer their own extended warranty or anything? Bought my unit at Target & they don't offer warranties AFAIK.
Old 03-25-05, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Usually the only warranty I buy is for whatever car I'm driving. I brought one for my PSP though I know my son will play with it, family members and plenty of people bump into me on the subway...so I don't want to drop 250 again anytime soon.
Old 03-25-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking of buying CompUSA's extended warranty. Apparently they are selling 1 and 2 year warranties on PSPs, even if you didn't buy it from CompUSA. I'll probably check it out on Monday. I think you just bring your PSP and your receipt to CompUSA.

I'm not sure if it's a replacement plan though.
Old 03-25-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I was at a Gamestop, and saw someone bring their PSP back, since it had a scratch on the INSIDE of the screen...
Old 03-25-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
Do you know if we can get the plan after we buy the system? I am kind of wishing I got the plan when I bought the unit.
At my BB, they said that you cannot go back and get the extended warranty, because the warranty they have is on a brand new product... I don't know if that's true, but that's the same spiel I got when I got my car's extended warranty.

Also, I've searched the internet and it seems like the PRP (Product Replacement Plan) which this falls under only allows you one replacement, though a PSP (Product Service Plan) allows more than one (though they make you service it first). Is it really as easy as bringing it in? Was that PS2 warranty someone mentioned above a PRP or a PSP (I just realized how confusing this acronym becomes when related to this particular console).

Also, using the black.gif test, I've found at least three dead pixels. Because sony's warranty doesn't cover them (I think any less than 6!), is that a viable reason to get a replacement (if BB still has any)? And if so, does that mean that my replacement plan is up in smoke because I replaced it already?
Old 03-25-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
At my BB, they said that you cannot go back and get the extended warranty, because the warranty they have is on a brand new product... I don't know if that's true, but that's the same spiel I got when I got my car's extended warranty.

Also, I've searched the internet and it seems like the PRP (Product Replacement Plan) which this falls under only allows you one replacement, though a PSP (Product Service Plan) allows more than one (though they make you service it first). Is it really as easy as bringing it in? Was that PS2 warranty someone mentioned above a PRP or a PSP (I just realized how confusing this acronym becomes when related to this particular console).

Also, using the black.gif test, I've found at least three dead pixels. Because sony's warranty doesn't cover them (I think any less than 6!), is that a viable reason to get a replacement (if BB still has any)? And if so, does that mean that my replacement plan is up in smoke because I replaced it already?
The flyer I have from BB says Product Replacement Plan. Most places I know do allow you to go back within 30 days. I am pretty sure BB allows it, but maybe they are changing rules on this?

As for your pixels, you should be able to exchange right now without using up your plan. Many people have already, some several times.
Old 03-25-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason that they tell you that you have to get it then is because most people will not come back to the store to buy a warrenty. That way they have you under pressure to get it then. If you find a honest Best Buy employee he/she will tell you that you can get a warrenty anytime while the product is covered under the manafacture warrenty.

I was told this buy a supervisor at work (best buy) and did not trust him so he got the SOP book and showed me that he was right.
Old 03-25-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got a warranty at EB
Old 03-25-05, 02:37 PM
Banned

Yes get the warranty as i ahve heard of several pixelatted screens..

read about it here http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000070037508/
Old 03-25-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I bought the 2 year warrenty at best buy with mine. I just talked to customer service about my dead pixels, and she said I can return it for an exchange anytime over the next 2 years. So I think I'm going to just hold on to it until sony comes out with a new batch, that hopefully aren't as defective.
Old 03-25-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I bought the 2 year warrenty at best buy with mine. I just talked to customer service about my dead pixels, and she said I can return it for an exchange anytime over the next 2 years. So I think I'm going to just hold on to it until sony comes out with a new batch, that hopefully aren't as defective.
same here. i bought mine with the 2 year warranty and got home to discover some dead pixels in the center of mine. much as i want to exchange it for another one, i think i'll wait for another batch or two before exchanging.
Old 03-25-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So anyone know how many times you can exchange it, or if you have to buy a new plan for the new system?
Old 03-25-05, 03:50 PM

quote from us plystation board
imrichar wrote:

I highly recommend the Best Buy plan. I initially purchased mine at Wal-Mart, but after reading about issues all day long I decided to go check out the stores that offered extended plans. Best Buy's plan is great IMO, it was a little pricey @ $39.99 (2 Year Plan), but they allow you to swap the system out as many times as you want during the first year. On the second year, you can still swap it out, but only once, *or* you can request a voucher for the full price you paid and use it as store credit towards another purchase. I am dealing with the 3 dead pixels I have because at least I have the peace of mind knowing that after a few months if more pixels go bad or something breaks I can swap it out without a problem.
anybody can confirm this ?
Old 03-25-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look like Sony will work with folks on the screen issue during the unit's 1 year warranty unlike what was being reported yesterday...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03...s_6121092.html
Old 03-25-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear this. Personally, I'm probably just going to stick with mine. The single stuck pixel on my PSP is invisible on anything, but a black background. I thought after all they did to work with people on the PS2 including fixing them out of warranty that they would also do it on the PSP.
Old 03-26-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have bought pretty much every game system at launch since the super nintendo. I have never bought the warranty but i will for all Sony systems now, they couldn't make a quality ps2 so i don't trust the build quality of a hand held. But I do really want the system

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.