Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! A couple of my DVD covers have rust!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-24-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I was checking out some of my older DVDs when I noticed that the cover of my Immortal Edition of Highlander is full of rust. Can I use rust remover or with that screw up the cover more than it already is?

I've also noticed that the same has begun to happen the cover of my Extreme Edition of Terminator 2.
Old 03-24-05, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high hummidity in the room you store/display your collection?
Old 03-24-05, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was checking out some of my older DVDs when I noticed that the cover of my Immortal Edition of Highlander is full of rust. Can I use rust remover or with that screw up the cover more than it already is?

I've also noticed that the same has begun to happen the cover of my Extreme Edition of Terminator 2.
haha, I'll be damned. yesterday I picked up my friend's T2 extreme edition, and he said, don't touch it ! it's an antique ! don't you see the brown stuff.
so I also need a solution.
Old 03-24-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, there's high humidity in my whole house, SRotblat. I live in Puerto Rico.
Old 03-24-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, anyone have any ideas how to remedy this problem. Will any old rust remover work or will that only screw up the cover more?
Old 03-24-05, 10:38 AM
Banned

So, anyone have any ideas how to remedy this problem.
Air conditioning?
Old 03-24-05, 10:45 AM

So, anyone have any ideas how to remedy this problem. Will any old rust remover work or will that only screw up the cover more?
lots of fluids and rest.

any other cases to look out for rust?
Old 03-24-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't afford an air conditioner at the moment, Mike Lowrey. At least not a remotely good one.

Your joke asside, chileorgullo, I have a T2 Ultimate Edition tin that has shown zero problems and my Evil Dead 2 tin is holding up just fine. The problem is exclusively with the Highlander Immortal Edition and, to a lesser extebd, with the Terminator 2 Extreme DVD Edition.

Again, anyone know if rust remover is a safe option?
Old 03-24-05, 11:22 AM

Rust?!?

Yikes! Are these in a humid/damp area? I'm curious because I have 3 tins, none are rusting, but I'm wondering how common this is.

If your Terminator tin is plain silver (I have the Ultimate sleeve, and it's just silver metal), then a light rubbing with VERY fine steel wool should bring it off with no damage. I think it would mess up any painted surfaces, though.

I'm not sure if Rustoleum (or another company) makes a rust-stop clearcoat for use once rust has started (I know they do have paints that serve that purpose). That might be your only non-damaging option.

If this is not unusual, maybe I'd better hit my tins with the clearcoat spray I use on the car license plate. My environment isn't very damp though, so maybe it makes a difference?
Old 03-24-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rust is like cancer or gangrene. It will spread. I think trying a rust cleaner is probably less dangerous than leaving it alone. Clean it with CLR or another rust cleaner, buff/sand it, protect it. I'm positive I've seen clearcoat Rustoleum or comparable brands, although I can't remember exactly what.
Old 03-24-05, 11:49 AM
Banned

Can't afford an air conditioner at the moment, Mike Lowrey. At least not a remotely good one.
Wait a minute...you live in Puerto Rico, and you don't have an A/C? You did hear what happened in France a couple years ago, right? Several ten thousand old folks died in the heatwave when their whole country was on "holiday" and mostly because they didn't have the "luxury" of air conditioning. (I asked a Parisian about this at the time, and his answer was a jaw dropping "What a dumb idea! Who's gonna pay for [the a/c]?". My response..."Tens of thousands of people are dead, and your asking who's gonna pay for it? )

I live in Southern Illinois, and I couldn't bear to live here in the summer without a/c. 90-100 degree temps with 80% humidity? No siree....
Old 03-24-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, guys. I'll try to get that CLR stuff. Is that just the name I should look for or is that a brand name?

To be honest, Mike Lowrey, I can't stand A/C. Well, during the day I can. But if I need to sleep, even if it's a hot night, I can't sleep with an A/C. It's weird but I find it makes the room to quiet. I'm too used to hearing everything outside when I sleep so I'm restless if I can't. And, no, those crappy nature sounds CDs don't work for me.
Old 03-24-05, 12:14 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could try a car wax after removing the rust. That would protect it from moisture and oxidizing more. Use a paste, then buff to a clear shine.
Old 03-24-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, guys. I'll try to get that CLR stuff. Is that just the name I should look for or is that a brand name?

To be honest, Mike Lowrey, I can't stand A/C. Well, during the day I can. But if I need to sleep, even if it's a hot night, I can't sleep with an A/C. It's weird but I find it makes the room to quiet. I'm too used to hearing everything outside when I sleep so I'm restless if I can't. And, no, those crappy nature sounds CDs don't work for me.

I must admit this is a funny sideroad for this thread, but I just wanted to chime in that your comments make sense. I expect the exact opposite because I am conditioned to live in an A/C home. If I hear things, it often keeps me awake (exact opposite). You could probably get used to it after a month or so - I know when I was a camp counselor we did not have A/C and I slept next to the door/windows and the first week of each summer was tough to get used to.

Oh, and none of my metal are rusting as of now.
Old 03-24-05, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedyray
I must admit this is a funny sideroad for this thread, but I just wanted to chime in that your comments make sense. I expect the exact opposite because I am conditioned to live in an A/C home. If I hear things, it often keeps me awake (exact opposite). You could probably get used to it after a month or so - I know when I was a camp counselor we did not have A/C and I slept next to the door/windows and the first week of each summer was tough to get used to.

Oh, and none of my metal are rusting as of now.
Well, to be honest, I used to be able to get used to no a/c, especially when I had outdoor labor jobs, but since my accident and I no longer sweat normally (spinal injury), no a/c would be a killer for me. Summer is rough for me these days.

As far as RocShemp needing sounds to sleep at night, that sounds like my aunt and uncle's family. They need fans to sleep. They even take their fans on vacation everywhere they go. It's ridiculous. I however, need quiet. I'm a very light sleeper. I'm awaken by just the slightest sounds. Strong wind blowing outside during storms is enough to wake me.
Old 03-25-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) is a brand name, don't know if it would be available in Puerto Rico or not. Just look for a rust cleaner.