Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory (anyone interested?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-23-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading a little about this game which seems interesting. The graphics look like they were upgraded somewhat, however, I can't help but think that this might only be more of the same.
Amazingly enough, OXM and Game Informer have given it VERY high scores and think it's a must buy (and no, I'm not banking on information from them or any other vendor). GameRankings.com

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow on both the Xbox and PC. How did the two compare in control and graphics? After having played it on the Xbox only and knowing the controls, it would seem much more difficult to play this type of a game with a keyboard-mouse combination.
Old 03-23-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

did you get a chance to play the demo on the oxm disc? this game is going to be the shit. it is what the first two should have been.

oh yeah the gameplay on the xbox is far better than the pc. i have the first one for both and the pc version sucks as far as controlling sam. i can't even think why they wouldn't put in the option on the pc to use a game pad, but it sucks using the mouse and keyboard. xbox is far better.
Old 03-23-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I thought the PC version was easier to control, myself.
Old 03-23-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Much easier to control on PC IMO.Aiming sucks with a controller.
Old 03-23-05, 12:50 PM

Cool.
I ask only because I'm going to be buying Chaos Theory for only one of the systems.
Old 03-23-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the game looks really good, but I hate stealth games....WAY TOO SLOW for me. I think this one though you can proceed however you want....we'll see. I hated having to restart everytime they saw me.
Old 03-23-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked the first SC, but SC PT was too much of the same and too repetitive. It seemed like every encounter in PT was whistle, have the guard look for you, get behind him and take him out. Hopefully Chaos Theory has improved on this.
Old 03-25-05, 09:44 AM

This is a must-buy for me on XBOX. The XBOX LIVE features (coop and versus) are just about the best innovation for LIVE play yet. I played SC:PT for months on LIVE before I even got around to finisheing the single-player campaign.

It's one of the few games I've actually preordered and not waited to go on sale.
Old 03-25-05, 12:47 PM

Reviews on this title continue to be staggeringly high (at least for the X-BOX version)

EGM 9.5/10
Gamespy.com 5/5
Team XBOX 9.8/10
IGN 9.6/10
OXM 9.9/10

Judging by the early reviews and word of mouth I'd say this is an early contender for GOTY, along with Resident Evil 4.
Old 03-25-05, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DealMan
Judging by the early reviews and word of mouth I'd say this is an early contender for GOTY, along with Resident Evil 4.
We'll find out soon enough as the release date is 3/29 I believe.
Old 03-25-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Just pre-ordered mine by using the trade 5 for $50 deal at EBGames.

I was impressed with the demo and loved the first two. Maybe this time I will try the multi-player.
Old 03-25-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if BestBuy is going to carry the collector's edition for XBOX as they are not pre-ordering the collector's version in store or online.
Old 03-25-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
I have no idea about Best Buy but the guy at EBGames said that he could not even pre-order a limited edition for me b/c he said that they are going to be a very limited pressing. He said that he did not even think he may get any in his store at all. Take it witha grain of salt b/c that was an EB sales guy saying this.

He did have a promo copy of the metal LE box and it was pretty cool. A lot cooler than the Halo 2 LE box. It had beaded water (sweat?) on the front with the night eyes & then another cool picture on the back.

I know Doom LE will have some making of stuff and the original Doom 1 & 2. What with the LE of Splinter Cell have?
Old 03-26-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a month left of school, then have to finish some other PC games, but I definitely plan on picking this up some time over the summer. I'm sure by that time the price will have dropped as well.
Old 03-26-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I know Doom LE will have some making of stuff and the original Doom 1 & 2. What with the LE of Splinter Cell have?
This is from the Splintercell.com Website:

The Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Limited Collectors Edition includes:

A unique metallic embossed collector box.
2-DVD set contains (contents subject to change in final shipping)
The entire Splinter Cell Chaos Theory game and a second DVD with bonus content:
3 bonus soundtrack remix music from electronica genius Amon Tobin
The making of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Development Diaries on A.I, Level design, animation, graphic technology and more
Art Gallery
Penny Arcade spy training manual
Video features
Mega64
Spy guide
Trailers

I already have one on order at Gamestop, but was hoping I could pick it up at BestBuy to save $5.00 with the Gamer Coupon. I just hope they did the pre-order for the right one if they indeed might be as limited as you have heard. They have stopped taking pre-orders for the CE's at the UBI.com store, so there might be some truth to what you heard.
-------

I'm still waiting for Doom 3 to come out on the XBOX and can't wait to see the confusion then at BestBuy. I pre-ordered with their in-store cards when they had them printed to say it would arrive in March sometimes I believe, and they have the Collector's Edition box art on the cover. On the back it states the price of the game is $49.99 - $5.00 deposit makes the game total $44.99 at pickup. Well since that time the release date was pushed back, but also the price of CE was raised to $59.99. No where on the card does it say that prices may vary, and their pre-order FAQ on their website says that you are guaranteed the lowest price when you pre-order, so they will be getting a mouthful if they think they are going to charge me the extra $10 bucks. Then I'll throw in a $5.00 coupon as well so it'll only be $40.99.

Last edited by dvd-fanman; 03-26-05 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-26-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm all over this one when it comes out. I'm gonna buy the PC version first, and then try the Xbox version later.
Old 03-26-05, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'm all over this one when it comes out. I'm gonna buy the PC version first, and then try the Xbox version later.
I'm thinking of getting the PC version too. Only because I will be able to play this with much sharper details in the graphics. I'm guessing the best this one will be able to do on the Xbox is 480P. However, if this one is developed in 720P, it's going on my widescreen.
I'm debating whether or not this game is better off with the dual analog controller of the Xbox vs. the keyboard-mouse combo. Control over the gameplay can also make or break the fun factor.

What's prompting you to buy the PC version first?
Old 03-27-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe the price is cheaper for one, $39 as opposed to $49. I also want to see how it looks on my new computer
Old 03-27-05, 11:38 AM

Alright peoples, I'm really hyped for this. I plan on getting it day one and playing it for two days straight. Didn't ask for tues. and wed. off but my manager just happened to give me those two days off. I'm not complaining.

If any of you are getting the Xbox version and are thinking of getting online put me on your friends list. Me and my friend play this a lot and don't really mind helping others learn their way around. I'd rather play free games anyway and have fun, as opposed to playing ranked games and getting pissed off with all the jerks online. Trash talking is ok amongst friends as long as you don't go overboard.

Just a heads up though, you really do have to put some time into learning this game. It won't happen in one, two, or even three days... so practice up. Thankfully CT seems to have tutorials for all the maps which is a big plus.
Old 03-27-05, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I believe the price is cheaper for one, $39 as opposed to $49. I also want to see how it looks on my new computer
Well, luckily for you, me, and anyone else living on the West Coast, you can get this game for $36.99 at Fry's on all the platforms.
Fry's prices.
Old 03-27-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well, luckily for you, me, and anyone else living on the West Coast, you can get this game for $36.99 at Fry's on all the platforms.
Fry's prices.
I am going to get it at Best Buy for $35 after the gamers coupon

Circuit City has it on sale for $37 this week I believe.

Of course I am speaking of the PC version.
Old 03-28-05, 09:22 AM

anyone aware of any deals on this for XBox? I"m on the east coast, so no Fry's. Most of the time, these new games can be had for 39.99, or full price with a 10 dollar gift card. Can't find any bargains on this one. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-05, 04:18 PM

so has anyone played this yet? I've read all the reviews and want to know if the multiple path gameplay is truly legit. Thanks
Old 03-29-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hoping to pick it up today, I'll post my thoughts here.
Old 03-30-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tried Best Buy and Circuit City today. Best Buy said it comes out Thursday, Circuit City said Wednesday.

I tried 3 Gamestops...one had it for all consoles and PC but...

Me: "Do you have Chaos Theory for the PC?"
Gamestop employee: "Did you pre-order it?"
Me: "No"
GE: "Then no we don't have it."
Me: "So you have it, but just for pre-orders?"
GE: "Yep."
Me: "Oh man."
Gamestop Manager: "That's why you pre-order things so you can get them on the release day."
Me: "Yeah, but I can go to Circuit City tomorrow and get it, I just wanted to get it here."
GM: (scoffs) "OK"

Second Gamestop had it for PC, but only the collectors edition, which was $55, so I passed.

Third Gamestop didn't have it for PC, and neither did EB.

So it's off to Circuit City tomorrow I guess.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.