Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on the Mad Catz MC2 Universal Racing Wheel??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 12:25 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought Nascar 2005 Chase for the Cup for Xbox, and I saw at Walmart today the Mad Catz MC2 Universal Racing Wheel for 49.99. Does anyone on the board have this steering wheel?? Does it work well?? Does it giving a realistic driving experience?? Does It make racing games more fun--well the Nascar game is the only racing game I have right now. thanks for your replies.

wlj
Old 03-22-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use it for the PS2 on Nascar 2004. It works pretty good except seems some times to not react when fully turned.
Old 03-23-05, 07:21 AM
wlj

I will post my own review...I went and bought it last night.

I returned it this morning -- here is why:

First and foremost this is a nice looking steering wheel. I don't have any gripes on the looks or sturdiness. It even has a cool "dashboard" where it lights up to show you how much throttle you are giving. Here is the problem -- you STRUGGLE trying to drive the car in a straight line. Being able to drive in a straight line is very important in Nascar....well good luck with this wheel. I played and calibrated it for 3.5 hours last night....I calibrated EVERY possible way it could be calibrated and still could not drive in a straight line. I could handle the turns with ease. But I finished every race in last place...now it isn't because I suck at the game--if I use the controller I win most races or finish in top 5. I really really wanted this wheel to work out but it doesn't work well with a Nascar game...it might work with a game that does not have straightaways. Looks like I will be driving with the dag on controller

wlj
Old 03-23-05, 08:18 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, I have the Xbox specific MC2 wheel. I too bought it for one of the earlier NASCAR games. You have to remember, that even though you are on a straightaway, you will be fighting to keep the car from riding up the track due to the banking. Very few tracks in the game are truly flat. So, EA gets a gold start for implementing proper physics.

I discovered that while using the controller is easier, the wheel is much more realistic. I'm sure you've seen the onboard cameras used during NASCAR telecasts, you will never see a driver just holding the wheel still, it's always moving.

I usually only use the wheel when I'm running 50-100% length races. For short races I stick with the controller.
Old 03-23-05, 08:24 AM
wlj

yeah...I hear what you are saying smackdaddy. I just found that I wasn't having much fun with the wheel like I hoped I would. I maybe should have giving it some more time, but I don't like spending 50 bucks on something that I don't absolutely love.

wlj