Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Weezer Make Believe 05.10.05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...As you may have seen on the front page, "Make Believe" will be released on May 10th. Its been a long haul since the last album, thanks so much for waiting - its going to be worth the wait. Meanwhile, the first single "Beverly Hills" will be officialy 'at radio' on March 29th, though many stations will have the song 'in hand' several days before that point. (if you are thinking of requesting the song on your local station, (which weezer greatly appreciates!) keep in mind that until 3/29 they really arent supposed to be playing the song.) Several stations have already been playing short clips of the song ranging anywhere from 10 to 90 seconds long, including KROQ Los Angeles, Live 105 San Fransisco, and WRRV 96.9 in New York. Apparently one station even played a bizarre mix they made where just the chorus was strung together repeatedly. The version played by Live 105 is in fact an earlier mix or demo version of the song, which is easy to spot due to the (early) male rather than (correct) female 'gimmie gimme' back-up vocals, as wel as overall sound differences. Clever fans have been recording the clips and now mp3s are flowing back and forth amongst the Weezgnoscenti. Also, a rumor apparently sparked by a recent news report on 102.1 CFNY is untrue - While the album is in fact still being mixed, the band is NOT going into the studio to re-do 'Beverly Hills' or anything else at this point. The recording process is complete.
Old 03-19-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weezer at this point for me, is now a 'wait and see' type...after the artisitic and musical compromises and disaster of the previous two albums, there will be no more blind buys. and yes, nothing can compare to 'blue' and 'pinkerton', but hopefully it wouldn't compare to the lazy previous efforts.
Old 03-19-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just downloaded the new single. I am not impressed at all. Although, it is good to see that River's has not lost his passion for Japanese girls.
Old 03-19-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lostatmidnight
weezer at this point for me, is now a 'wait and see' type...after the artisitic and musical compromises and disaster of the previous two albums, there will be no more blind buys. and yes, nothing can compare to 'blue' and 'pinkerton', but hopefully it wouldn't compare to the lazy previous efforts.
Same here. I'll need to hear at least two pretty great singles before I'd even consider buying the new record.
Old 03-19-05, 08:27 PM

The last two albums were not that bad, they were just different. This new album needs to be in a new direction, because maladrot sounded like the B-Sides to Green. They are a band that needs to keep evolving.
Old 03-20-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by the action
The last two albums were not that bad, they were just different. This new album needs to be in a new direction, because maladrot sounded like the B-Sides to Green. They are a band that needs to keep evolving.
Hmmm, well, I disagree, there was nothing 'different' about those two albums. Weezer had disappeared for years, saw they had an audience and cashed in. I think that's pretty much what happened. They investigated no new musical terriority, they were not radiohead holed up in chatteau (thank god), but I think this was basically just two throwaway discs given to a new disaffected generation who were clamoring for more.

To be honest, I just don't see weezer as an ambitious band, and I'm not necessarily speaking of pink floyd, radiohead, prog-rock/art-rock terms, I think they will mine the same chords and stay true to their california-pop-chorus-inspiration, which isn't bad, but c'mon, if they continue on their previous record, people aren't going to be hanging around except those with blind faith.
Old 03-21-05, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by lostatmidnight

Agreed. I don't think it's a coincidence the quality of their work went down after the departure of Matt Sharp. Although I think the Green Album is a good pop album, it's not a worthy sequel to Pinkerton. That is a great album.
Old 03-22-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will not argue the merits of Pinkerton...great stuff. I liked the last two records, and have been a die hard weezer fan for to long. I think they are the best example of the internet keeping something alive. Rumor has it they have a few albums they are sitting on...after they finish their record deal, you will see more releases from their own label...might fair better for some of you. The way i say it...any weezer album is better than most of the junk on radio right now....looking forward to it.
Old 03-22-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heard "Beverly Hills" on XM Ethel 47 this afternoon. VERY disappointing. What a horrible lead single. Weezer CD usually = must buy. Might have to wait on this one.
Old 03-22-05, 07:31 PM
Banned

Good news, I like this band..
Old 04-01-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

new video up at weezer.com
Old 04-01-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR
Heard "Beverly Hills" on XM Ethel 47 this afternoon. VERY disappointing. What a horrible lead single. Weezer CD usually = must buy. Might have to wait on this one.

I hated it too, and I really liked the green album.
Old 04-01-05, 10:52 AM

I've been a Weezer fan since the Blue album first came out and Beverly Hills sounds like a completely different band and probably one of the worst songs they've done. Pinkerton and Blue are classics, Green was OK but Maladroit was even worse, I HATED that album as all the songs just became a big blur. What happened to that "Sound" they used to have? This really sucks...I love these guys and its killing with whats going on here. Seriously compare ANY song from Pinkerton and Blue to any of the songs from Green and up, the lack of quality songwriting just totally went out the window. Its almost like they are afraid to do anything but keep that same safe sound that they seem to have adapted to.

I think I'll just dig out my Return Of The Rentals CD instead, for that "Weezer" sound.
Old 04-01-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
The way i say it...any weezer album is better than most of the junk on radio right now....looking forward to it.
Sadly, I'd say "Beverly Hills" is quite a bit worse than most of the nonsense on the radio nowadays.
Old 04-01-05, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Sadly, I'd say "Beverly Hills" is quite a bit worse than most of the nonsense on the radio nowadays.
Agreed, if anything its right in there ALONG side the type of nonsense on the radio these days. They've just become that same crap sound thats all apparent these days in mainstream garbage. It SUCKS! What happened to stuff like My Name Is Jonas and Say It Ain't So? Its obvious they are at the "Going through the motions" phase of music recording.

I used to be a "New Weezer album?? SOLD!" type of guy, but not anymore.

Beverly Hills is just awful, nuff said.
Old 04-01-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Just heard BH today - I hated it. Looks like the Blue album was just a fluke...
Old 04-01-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the song...

Reminds me of

I love rock and roll, put another dime in the jukebox baby...

brings back the funny "rap" flow from the first two albums, but maintains the big rock guitar sound of maladroit
Old 04-02-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Not terribly impressed by the first single either. Hopefully the rest of the disc will better.
Old 04-02-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw the video the other night, and flipped to the next channel before it was over...this just continues the sad and lazy songwriting of the last two horrid albums...I have no expectations at all anymore. I think its sad to see a band like this fade away--granted I don't think they were ever great, interesting, proficient or artistically motivated band (even though all bands think they are)--but they did create two excellent and accomplished albums lyrically, musically and production wise, and they've abandoned it to create....drivel.
Old 04-02-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this can't be Weezer putting out "Beverly Hills." What an awful song.
Old 04-02-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in a minority, because I really like the vid and the song...it's simple anthem rock, but I'm digging it.

MATT
Old 04-03-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm in a minority, because I really like the vid and the song...it's simple anthem rock, but I'm digging it.

MATT
right there with you
Old 04-06-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not too bad. Any Weezer is better than no Weezer.
Old 04-13-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone heard any more than the single
Old 04-14-05, 06:20 PM

I like this song, I seem to be the minority, but its far from the worst thing ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.