Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you swayed by the general public/reviews to buy a DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 07:38 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Like for instance if you see a "DVD Talk Collector's Series" tag does that get your heart racing and make you think twice about a certain title, about a certain release with its fancy schmancy packaging and abundance of extras that you might not have given a second thought otherwise?

or do you simply by on YOUR like and that's that!
Old 03-17-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
or do you simply by on YOUR like and that's that!
That's the one.

No point having lots of extras, beautiful packaging, etc if the feature is not something I'm gonna watch.
Old 03-17-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only time a review from any source makes an impact is if it's a film I haven't heard of before and it makes the film sound interesting. If it's a movie I know about and looks like crap I'll just think the reviewer is an idiot.
Old 03-17-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
A positive review can convince me to pick a movie I might not have otherwise. A negative review will not convince me to pass on a movie I really want. I bought Soul Survivors the day it came out, if you want proof.
Old 03-17-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to but no longer do. I do read but i no longer let them sway me.
Old 03-17-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
A positive review can convince me to pick a movie I might not have otherwise. A negative review will not convince me to pass on a movie I really want. I bought Soul Survivors the day it came out, if you want proof.

I would agree with this. I knew I was going to buy Troy (for example) the day it came out because I love epics. Even though everything I read said it wasn't very good. I'll be buying Alexander for the same reason. If it's a movie I really want, bad reviews won't sway me. Good reviews, however, can convince me to buy something. I bought Sky Captain because I had read some very interesting things about it. I had no intention of getting it before that.

Stew
Old 03-17-05, 10:18 AM

No. I buy based on my own likes and dislikes. A lot of reviews are just way over the edge one way or the other.

Paul
Old 03-17-05, 10:28 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the past I've bought DVDs based on reviews and have been disapointed, its a hit and miss sometimes.
Old 03-17-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy based almost entirely on reviews by people I trust: Pauline Kael, A.O. Scott, Nathan Rabin and Scott Tobias from The Onion, anyone from the Village Voice.

I enjoy reading the reviews at sites like this, particularly those by Glenn Erickson, but I never base my purchasing or viewing decisions on them.

As for man-on-the-street reactions like Amazon customer reviews, those are good for amusement value only.
Old 03-17-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never been swayed by any DVD review......but, I almost was (from this website) about the video quality of MacGyver: Season 1. I still bought it, and although the reviewer was 100% correct, I could not live without this set.
Old 03-17-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I saw a lot of negative reviews of Soul Survivors, but a friend had seen it and told me to ignore the reviews as I'd really enjoy it. I'm glad I listened to him. I loved it!
Old 03-17-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A review may sway me if it has some information about the features of the disc that I didn't know (e.g. DTS, an amazing featurette). I may listen to the review and NOT buy a DVD if it has a REALLY, REALLY bad picture. But, if it's on the fence and I like the movie I'd probably get it.

But otherwise, I buy what I want.
Old 03-17-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are people on DT whose opinions of movies/DVD's will sway me to blind buy.

I also have some friends who, if they really like a movie that I thought was "eh", I'll rethink it as maybe a movie that I need to give another chance. If the DVD is cheap enough, I'll buy it instead of renting it.
Old 03-17-05, 11:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've been swayed by a few of the DVD reviews from this site. Most recently, I purchased Wonderfalls solely based on the review I read.
Old 03-17-05, 11:17 AM

It's probably due to growing up in Miami and having Rene Rodriguez (yuck) as the film reviewer for the Miami Herald that prompted me to stop checking reviews alltogether. Now I just go on personal preference, I can't remember the last time I said "what a review, I gotta check this out"
Old 03-17-05, 11:27 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I definitely use reviews as one of the resources in determining whether I'll buy a DVD. Occasionally they'll push me one way or the other on a title I'm debating about. Other times they lead me to great movies that I've never heard about such as Battle Of Algiers. Sometimes the reviews will help me determine which version of a movie to get as was the case with the Superbit Deluxe edition of Black Hawk Down.

If I have a feel for the reviewer's tastes in movies, a well written review can help me regardless of whether the reviewer liked or disliked the movie. I also appreciate the information about the video and audio quality of the DVD that some reviews provide. There are some reviewers whose opinion of A/V quality closely matches my own experience whereas others I've learned to discount because their experience hasn't matched my own.
Old 03-17-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sometimes buy based on review. The DVD Talk Collector's Series does push me over the top if I'm interested in a title.

The only one that ever was totally the opposite of what I thought was the review on DVDTalk for Attack of the Killer Klowns.....that movie was the biggest "Skip It" ever for me.
Old 03-17-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can totally sway me. If the reviewer goes on and on about a movie that I was probably going to pass on I'll maybe rent it or something. Also if they marvel at the extras I may check it out (like I plan on checking out the Panic Room SE eventually due to reviewers giving such acclaim to the extras).
Old 03-17-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really. If its a blind buy I'll check out reviews of the movie but not so much the DVD.
Old 03-17-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With storage space practically run out, not anymore.
Yes, I've been caught up in the Tuesday-excitement a few times in the past.

Sidenote: It's annyoing how the Disney-machine is hyping a new disc every week; they've even made their own technology called "Disney DVD". I realize most other major studios hype their releases just as often, but Disney's ads seem so greedy and uncaring. Another annoying advertising tagline is "own it Tuesday"; a mantra us consumers are meant to mindlessly respond to each week.
Old 03-17-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I buy my movies based upon if i like them.

I have been bought some stuff blindly in the past but generally (98% of the time) I end up with movies i really really like.

Last edited by UAIOE; 03-17-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 02:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I sometimes buy based on review. The DVD Talk Collector's Series does push me over the top if I'm interested in a title.
i'm with you there. that tag gets me all stirred up for some reason. i think it is the rarity factor, but i do respect the reviews here. still i think i am 75/25 in terms of buying on sheer like v. reviews.
Old 03-17-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have never been swayed by any DVD review......but, I almost was (from this website) about the video quality of MacGyver: Season 1. I still bought it, and although the reviewer was 100% correct, I could not live without this set.
The reviews for this set were the only ones that ever stopped me from buying something I really wanted. I was tempted last night to buy the set when I saw it at Wal-Mart but I just can't bring myself to do it.
Old 03-17-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Happened just once when watching TV, Tom Crusie was doing an inview about the movie Narc and I got it
Old 03-17-05, 03:01 PM

I definitely check out reviews for A/V quality, especially for double dips. I don't pay any attention to the reviews of content as I don't value extras and opinions of the actual film are too subjective.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.