Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Official "SIN CITY" Review Forum (May Contain Spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it at a free screening in Houston and I'm gonna paste my review from another website:

So, I got back from Sin City a few hours ago and I still really don’t know what to say, except “Wow!”

As of now, this IS my #1 movie of 2005.

It’s a visual treat that’s faithfully adapted by Rodriguez. Screw Spider-Man 2. Sin City is the best comic book movie to come out in recent years, no questions asked. Also, and I thought this was cool, there’s even some dialogue from A Dame to Kill For (book #2) that, if he makes a sequel, will definitely be interesting to see on screen, since IMDb said that Maria Bello was gonna be Ava Lord.

The Cinematography and Editing is top notch and Rodriguez should be congratulated for his work.

The cast is at the top of their game (and Elijah Wood was SO DAMN CREEPY as Kevin. That damn smirk is gonna haunt me tonight). Stahl is great as the lead villain of That Yellow Bastard (though if any Roark was involved in a story, there WERE the main villain). Even his voice got creepy with the transformation. Hartnett’s good in his brief scenes (don’t ask about the other scene). Rosario is good. Clive, Benicio, and Mickey are great. Madsen does a good job. And Powers Boothe is menacing as Hell.

If there’s any chance the Oscars took notice of this film, it would definitely get a nod for Makeup because of the astonishing work for Marv and the Yellow Bastard.

The Rodriguez/Debney/Revell score is great and I can’t wait to get the music for it.

For those worried about how violent the film will be compared to the books, fear not. It’s violent and then some.

SPOILERS

Spoiler:
I have never heard such a collective gasp and cringe when Hartigan ripped the Yellow Bastard’s dick off with his hands.

END SPOILERS

That’s pretty much it.
My hopes for the DVD are a 2-disc with hi-def transfer, DTS, music track, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes (I have the books and there was a BUNCH of stuff cut out), green screen and makeup tests, the Comic Con trailer, the national trailers, and a whole buncha other badass stuff.

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 03-17-05 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could you put spoiler tags on that spoiler? Please.
Old 03-17-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fixed.
Old 03-17-05, 03:26 AM
sdk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it lived up to your expectations and more? I can't wait for this movie.
Old 03-17-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
My hopes for the DVD are a 2-disc with hi-def transfer, DTS, music track, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes (I have the books and there was a BUNCH of stuff cut out), green screen and makeup tests, the Comic Con trailer, the national trailers, and a whole buncha other badass stuff.
Really? You must be the only one.

Anyway, I'm really, really excited about this film. I still have difficulty believing that the first book has actually been made into a movie, and with Mickey Rourke, no less! Can't wait to see the
Spoiler:
fight with Kevin
!
Old 03-17-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Robert Rodriguez already said that a lot of stuff was cut from the book because of time, but that all the scenes would be put back into place on the dvd to be an exact transfer of the books. Glad to hear it kicked ass.
Old 03-17-05, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

we have a Sin City forum?
Old 03-17-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

www.SinCityTalk.com
Old 03-17-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
it does seem kind of weird to me that they aren't using "a dame to kill for", as that story actually DOES intertwine with "the Hard Goodbye".

but maybe that would seem a bit forced, like it does in the comics. but I am still 100% excited for theis movie. it is going to be amazing. and that is great news about the DVD.
Old 03-17-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
I saw it at a free screening in Houston and I'm gonna paste my review from another website:

What the hell??? Where???
Old 03-17-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
That's no "news" about the DVD, that's what he HOPES will be on the DVD. As do we all!
Old 03-17-05, 10:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Screenings began this week all over.
Old 03-17-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to see it this Friday night, my heart may explode with excitement before then.
Old 03-17-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Can't wait to see the
Spoiler:
fight with Kevin
!
That was pretty damn bloody.
Old 03-17-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
The Angelika, downtown.
Old 03-17-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
and that is great news about the DVD.
I said those are my HOPES for the DVD, not the actual DVD itself.
Old 03-17-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I think RR said he will have an expanded DVD in the future. I wouldn't expect it any time soon though. This is the kind of movie where they can and will milk the small but potent fanbase for all their worth with a regular DVD release and most likely an expanded one with a Sideshow collectible bust of a Sin City figure like Marv or Yellow Bastard.

That said, I KNEW that was Powers Boothe as Senator Roark! Someone in another thread said that Rutger Hauer played both Roark roles, but when I saw him in the preview I knew it was Boothe. Interesting that he is not listed on IMDB.
Old 03-17-05, 10:36 PM

Caught the film tonight.

As a non-comic geek, I liked the film quite a bit. It’s an interesting stylistic exercise, and it gave Mickey Rourke the best role of his career. In fact, the whole cast was great.

I didn’t care for the obvious stabs at comedy. Those moments felt forced. There’s enough gallows humor in the film for three movies. Some of the broader jokes needed to go.

The big point of the film is this: how in the fuuuuuuuuuck did this film not get an NC-17? Sure, you have the B&W argument, the comic book argument… I’m still baffled. It’s a profoundly violent movie.

Unless it somehow slips into the hipster cool campgrounds, I don’t think the film will last long. It’s just too polarizing. It’s a great creation, but it works best if you know the source material and the vibe of the comic.
Old 03-17-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hoping for another ten minute cooking school on the eventual DVD release.

Really looking forward to the movie. Just two weeks away from opening now.
Old 03-17-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
What's the running time?
Old 03-18-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton

I didn’t care for the obvious stabs at comedy. Those moments felt forced. There’s enough gallows humor in the film for three movies. Some of the broader jokes needed to go.

The comic is full of gallows humor, and since this was a direct translation of such. Knowledge of the source material or lack thereof might be the main hindrance of this as a movie to the general public.
I see this as doing about the same amount of business as the Kill Bill and Mariachi flicks; healthy, but not blockbuster.
Old 03-18-05, 10:11 AM
sdk

Originally Posted by BigDan
I'm hoping for another ten minute cooking school on the eventual DVD release.

Really looking forward to the movie. Just two weeks away from opening now.
It is not a cooking school we are going to get if he tells the truth in the last cookingschool video.
Old 03-18-05, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
What's the running time?
Two very fast hours.
Old 03-18-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These are all good things to hear.
Old 03-18-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sdk
It is not a cooking school we are going to get if he tells the truth in the last cookingschool video.

I doubt they will let him do the school of which he spoke in the last video. This would be the film with which do it though.

If he offers me Ms. Gugino or Bledel (sp.?) as an instructor for said school, I would be more than willing to participate and play dumb!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.