Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Entertainment center wall unit recommendations?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm moving into a new place and plan on purchasing a RPTV (in the 50" range) and would like a nice wall unit to hold all of my components and possibly a handful of DVDs. This is the sort of unit i'm in the market for:

wall unit

Price range for me is about $1000, give or take. Can anyone suggest a good place to begin shopping? I'd like something that's wood (as opposed to MDF or particle board), and prefer dark wood hues.

Again, any thoughts or pics of existing units would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-15-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here's the one i'm getting. this is the lowest price on bush stratos galaxy (black). they only deliver to ny (free) so i have to find a truck to pick it up. no one that ships would pm their price of $499

http://store.yahoo.com/furnakit/-bu-wl439l.html

they have many others in wood finish like what you are looking for too:

http://store.yahoo.com/furnakit/livi...all-units.html

Last edited by dollfins1; 03-15-05 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
here's the one i'm getting. this is the lowest price on bush stratos galaxy (black). they only deliver to ny (free) so i have to find a truck to pick it up. no one that ships would pm their price of $499

http://store.yahoo.com/furnakit/-bu-wl439l.html

they have many others in wood finish like what you are looking for too:

http://store.yahoo.com/furnakit/livi...all-units.html

let me know how the quality is once you get it. i'm concerned with it feeling solid and lasting for me. thanks for the link!
Old 03-16-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by psulion01
let me know how the quality is once you get it. i'm concerned with it feeling solid and lasting for me. thanks for the link!
currently i have a bush computer unit and a smaller bush entertainment center in the master bedroom (it weighs a ton!) so far i'm happy with the sturdiness of these units. for the price i don't see anything that can touch them in that range. they also have guarantees (3-6 yrs) depending on the model. i've done a lot of research and seen some units (not bush) that go for upwards of $3000 so you can invest a huge amount of money in an entertainment center. i would rather get a reasonably priced unit and sink the rest into upgrading my surround system. all depends on your needs and financial situation.
Old 03-16-05, 10:53 PM

Hi all,

I'm moving into a new place and plan on purchasing a RPTV (in the 50" range) and would like a nice wall unit to hold all of my components and possibly a handful of DVDs. This is the sort of unit i'm in the market for:

wall unit

Price range for me is about $1000, give or take. Can anyone suggest a good place to begin shopping? I'd like something that's wood (as opposed to MDF or particle board), and prefer dark wood hues.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

Try going to Martin Furniture. The Huntington Club collection should be about $1250+ for 2 piers and the light bridge (fits my 65" Mitsu CRT). IIRC the Mt Vernon collection was about $1850+ for the same setup. If you get a fixed pixel display, the center console is about $500 I think. You should be able to find a local dealer near you. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We bought our wall unit from San Diego Furniture and have been very happy with. Finding solid wood for $1k might be a bit tough. This wall unit was about $2500, but was custom built. They seem to have gone up in price though.

Old 03-17-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Hi all,

wall unit

Thanks,
Mike
I assume you are getting a CRT?
Old 03-17-05, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I assume you are getting a CRT?
yep, probably a 51-57" CRT RPTV.

I guess what i saw at a local store for about $1200 wasn't solid wood...looked good and sturdy though...i'll have to go and look at things again...
Old 03-17-05, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by kliiez8
Mike,

Try going to Martin Furniture. The Huntington Club collection should be about $1250+ for 2 piers and the light bridge (fits my 65" Mitsu CRT). IIRC the Mt Vernon collection was about $1850+ for the same setup. If you get a fixed pixel display, the center console is about $500 I think. You should be able to find a local dealer near you. Good Luck!

kliiez8:

Do you have one of these units? Have any pics of it in your home?
Old 03-17-05, 09:34 PM

Sure. Here you go link
Old 03-18-05, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by kliiez8
Sure. Here you go link

looks sweet...was that a huntington club model for around $1250? If so, does it contain any room for dvd/cd storage?

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 03-18-05, 09:46 AM

Thanks. Yes it's the Huntington Club. The one I have does not have any dedicated DVD storage. But I just use the left pier to store all my DVDs. All my A/V stuff goes on the right audio pier. The bottom window in each pier can be replaced with a mesh grill (included) so you can place your bookshelf speakers inside the unit.

When we were shopping for it last summer, they also had this model here for about the same price. This one does have dedicated DVD storage on the far right and left audio piers. The two handles on the far ends each pull out for media storage. My wife felt the unit was too wide for our wall so we ended up getting the one without the DVD storage.

If you're in IL, Capaccio brothers is where we got the entertainment center. Not sure if you can order online. Let us know what you end up with.

-Karl
Old 03-18-05, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

Check Sam's Club if you can. They have a decent looking Mission Style similar to the one pictured above.