Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

will there be somthing better than DVD ?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Videos first came out ( sorry i was only just born 1988, sorry to make most members feel old here ) there was the buzz of watching videos in your own time and to record them was the coolest thing but we all knew that videos didnt have many advantages after the enjoyment of recording what we watch. The freeze frame was a great chance to see a film frame but frame or if your busy you can puase it and go back after a shot time all horror fans and adult films to put it porlite had to look closly to the screen when they freeze framed because of the tapes static made you unable to see the moment a head is taken off in horror films or the enjoyment of a adult films frozen on the screen . Althrough this happend became cultcher and we all wished there was a new way to watch films at home when the tec. boom became more advanced we made CDs and then DVDs which was trailed in the US in 1997 ( is that correct ?). They started to see that DVDs are the next genaration of videos but because so many DVDs are prefect is there going to be a new way of watching them to me the only idea is a massive film and tv database like the internet.
Old 03-14-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 185 Posts
I'm waiting for Smell O' Vision myself.
Old 03-14-05, 11:33 AM

Well, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are on the way (just search these forums) for something new and improved. As for whether the disc medium itself is ever improved upon, I would have to think so. We'll probably all be buying and watching Video-On-Demand through set-top boxes with huge storage capabilities within 5 to 10 years. That's my guess.
Old 03-14-05, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD_FANATIC
Althrough this happend became cultcher and we all wished there was a new way to watch films at home when the tec. boom became more advanced we made CDs and then DVDs which was trailed in the US in 1997 ( is that correct ?).
"cultcher"? I must have missed that day in class. What's it mean?

Also, "tec."?

I'd say that when we arrive at the next tech boom, we will view movies on optical cubes or gel packs. I remember in the early to mid '90s, there was talk of that the next generation of computer hard drives, that they'd be optical cubes that could hold tyrabytes of information.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-14-05 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is called HD-DVD or Blue-Ray.

Search this Forum and you will learn a bunch about it.
Old 03-14-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Either

a) the small globes that David Bowie watches in The Man Who Fell to Earth

or

b) The plastic squares that Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report

I predict a format war.
Old 03-14-05, 01:32 PM
Banned

The feed port will be dorsal to the external auditory meatus. Keep your eyes covered to avoid signal conflict
Old 03-14-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD_FANATIC
When Videos first came out ( sorry i was only just born 1988, sorry to make most members feel old here ) there was the buzz of watching videos in your own time and to record them was the coolest thing but we all knew that videos didnt have many advantages after the enjoyment of recording what we watch. The freeze frame was a great chance to see a film frame but frame or if your busy you can puase it and go back after a shot time all horror fans and adult films to put it porlite had to look closly to the screen when they freeze framed because of the tapes static made you unable to see the moment a head is taken off in horror films or the enjoyment of a adult films frozen on the screen . Althrough this happend became cultcher and we all wished there was a new way to watch films at home when the tec. boom became more advanced we made CDs and then DVDs which was trailed in the US in 1997 ( is that correct ?). They started to see that DVDs are the next genaration of videos but because so many DVDs are prefect is there going to be a new way of watching them to me the only idea is a massive film and tv database like the internet.
Huh. I didn't know Danol had a kid.
Old 03-14-05, 05:27 PM
ams

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Also, "tec."?
FO-NET-TIK-LEE It is obvious you can understand what he is trying to say...why belittle him?
Old 03-14-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Either

a) the small globes that David Bowie watches in The Man Who Fell to Earth

or

b) The plastic squares that Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report

I predict a format war.

Now that's funny.
Old 03-14-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Also, "tec."?
I think they both mean "smartass".
Old 03-14-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ams
FO-NET-TIK-LEE It is obvious you can understand what he is trying to say...why belittle him?
Because some people are insecure like that, and we all know that the higher your DVD Talk title goes, the more you can ignore the rules about threadcrapping.
Old 03-15-05, 06:31 AM

problums always acour when your dylesic

Sorry people i havent spelt well because i am dylesic ( < even that's not the correct spelling). I mean to say that its became culture and tec is me giving up on the word technology.

So is this post a 'threat crapping post ?'

Ill go back and rewrite it sorry for all the whats , the who's and the what nows.
Old 03-15-05, 08:44 AM
boe
Suspended

My question is when will we see these blue laser DVDs and players or the HD DVD media and players? I've been watching them demonstrate them at CES for the last 3 years. I think it is time for them to actually release them or come out with a format they can agree on.
Old 03-16-05, 10:12 AM

No, DVD-Fanatic, your post isn't a thread-crapping post. MovieExchange was referring to Mike Lowrey, who for some reason felt it necessary to point out your misspellings, while everyone else was classy enough to simply ignore them, since it was quite obvious what you meant anyway.

To answer your question, in addition to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that has already been pointed out, there will be a level of technology that allows the movies to play out all around you in full, opaque holographic imaging that actually makes it seem like you're IN the movie. Not only will the sound be surround, but the video will be, as well.

By the way, welcome to DVD Talk. Glad to have you.
Old 03-16-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Don't forget about HVD:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/590/590428p1.html
Old 03-16-05, 02:33 PM

thanks for the welcome Admiral7 yearh it would be cool to see films as a hologram would 3D such films as spy kids 3(d) be the first step to the goal of holograms or are they already used and ready to be on the shevles ?
Old 03-16-05, 03:04 PM

No, holograms -- at least to the extent I'm taking about -- aren't already being used. Right now a complete holographic movie (but opaque, looking like real people and not transparent) exits only in the deep recesses of my (and I'm sure a lot of other people's) mind.
Old 03-16-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ams
FO-NET-TIK-LEE
She was great in House of Flying Daggers
Old 03-16-05, 06:01 PM

There willl be a mini memory stick you can slot in,in a few years time i'd guess