Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Brigadoon (Remastered)'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-13-05, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Brigadoon (Remastered) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14833 and...

Although "The Robe" was a success for Fox, brass at MGM were apparently uneasy about how quickly exhibitors would convert to widescreen. The probably had qualms about the payments to Fox for the process as well. So they ordered a "flat" edition of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," which was being filmed at the same time as "Brigadoon." The two versions, though shot concurrently, required considerable restaging, especially in the dance numbers. (Stanley Donen has discussed this at some length on Turner Classics.)And the rumored flat version, which was never released and had been sitting in the studio vault for a half century, was finally released with the recent remastered two-disc edition. It seems likely that a flat version of "Brigadoon" was also done. This practice was fairly common in those days, more so with larger format films. "Oklahoma!" was shot in 70mm Todd-AO and a Cinemascope version filmed at the same time. When he reported for work on "Carousel," Frank Sinatra was told he would be shooting his scenes in Cinemascope 55 and Cinemascope. He refused, left the film and the part fell to Gordon MacRae. I don't know if "The King and I" was shot in regular Cinemasope and Cinemascope 55 or not. Since very few, if any, theaters converted for the Cinemascope 55 format, perhaps the CinemaScope 55 versions are still in the vaults.
Old 03-13-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... there is no mention in the imdb of either The King And I or Carousel being filmed in CinemaScope as well as in CinemaScope 55... probably just the latter, with 'regular' 35mm prints being struck from the original negatives...

...incidentally, those titles were the only two movies ever made on the 55mm gauge...

. . . . . .
Old 03-18-05, 02:35 AM
Banned

Oh my Mum would love this!