Reload this Page >

Nintendo "Revolution" Pre-E3/E3 Discussion

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-11-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My initial plan was to wait on all 3 new systems for price drops, a "must have" title, or a combination of the two. However, The announcement that Nintendo's new system will be backwards compatible with Cube games almost cements me as an early adopter (I haven't bought a new system on launch since the SNES). Of course, as we all know, I'm about good games and not "new technology" so I'll still need a good game or two to go with the new purchase, but honestly, I have faith Nintendo will deliver a solid launch title or two.

So, what is everyone looking forward to on the new Nintendo? What would you like to see or hear from E3?
Old 03-11-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backwards compatible and Wifi are huge announcments for the system thats for sure. However, what has been most exciting for me was an article on IGN with Nintendo in which they said they made a mistake with not enough quality launch titles for Gamecube. This signals that they should have something truely great at launch. Hell they better with a working title like "revolution".

With these recent announcments and Zelda screening this question is lingering in my mind: is Nintendo finally willing to meet consumers half-way?

Perhaps "Revolution" is not a new hardware concept, rather a revolution in the way Nintendo does business.
Old 03-11-05, 11:16 AM
Retired

I'm totally looking forward to this. I'm only planning on buying one console next gen (as I'll have even less time for games then due to moving to a full time job and Ph D program from part time and master's program).

These announcements, and the fact that Nintendo's games are by far my favorite, there's a 95% chance the Revoloution will be the one I pick up. The PS3 is the only other option given that my X-box has largely gathered dust.
Old 03-11-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's funny. At the start of last generation I was eyeing the Xbox and had no interest in Sony or Nintendo's offerings. Five minutes into Metroid Prime I regained all the love I had (and more) for video games that was stomped upon during the poor first-generation 3D era. I eventually caved into the PS2 due to larger Japanese third party support and the number of excellent $20 games.

Now, I'm totally excited for the new Nintendo and will be keeping a close eye on what's coming for the PS3. Microsoft needs an ace up their sleeve that isn't "Look at this shiny new technology!" for me to buy their next system.

As far as the PS3 is concerned though, I think I'll have enough to keep me occupied until the initial price drop. Something big like a new "Tales of" game (in English) or another well-made action RPG would probably cause me to cave in though.
Old 03-11-05, 11:58 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Just little scraps of info at this point. It's nice to see Nintendo finally going online, though.

Nintendo announced the specs for the "Dolphin" at E3 1999 and released the Gamecube in Fall 2001. Let's hope they can put out the Revolution a little faster than Fall 2007.
Old 03-11-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This system is so important to Nintendo it isn't even funny. Here's to Nintendo
Old 03-11-05, 12:10 PM
Retired

They've said repeatedly they will launch at the same time as PS3, so it will be fall 2006 in all likelihood.
Old 03-11-05, 12:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They've said repeatedly they will launch at the same time as PS3, so it will be fall 2006 in all likelihood.
We shall see. At E3 1999, they said the Gamecube would launch at "end of year 2000".
Old 03-11-05, 12:22 PM
Retired

They won't repeat that mistake, and they I think they were more concert with launching around the same time as MS.
Old 03-11-05, 12:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't mind if they launch a year after PS3, I could swing a new console for the next 3 years. I'm a sucker for getting consoles at launch. The only one I didn't get at launch last gen was the PS2 cuz the launch titles were ass and I saw thru the hype, and was really enjoying my DC.
Old 03-11-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What is so important for this system is a huge list of launch titles. This has been one of Nintendos problems from the start! N64, GC, DS....they need more quality launch titles!!!
Old 03-11-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping for slots that accept GBA and DS cartridges so that you could play those games on the TV without an adapter. Well at least GBA games since I don't know how you'd play DS games on the TV.
Old 03-11-05, 12:35 PM

Wow, backwards compatible is a great selling point for me. Isn't the xbox supposed to *NOT* be backwards compatible? That is making me not want to get it.
Old 03-11-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by njchris
Wow, backwards compatible is a great selling point for me. Isn't the xbox supposed to *NOT* be backwards compatible? That is making me not want to get it.
Not confirmed yet, initial rumors were that it wasn't but slowly things have trickled down that they've been working on a way to do it. If I recall the issue was different graphics chip manufacturers.
Old 03-11-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Just little scraps of info at this point. It's nice to see Nintendo finally going online, though.

Nintendo announced the specs for the "Dolphin" at E3 1999 and released the Gamecube in Fall 2001. Let's hope they can put out the Revolution a little faster than Fall 2007.
The term "online" was carefully dodged in regards to the Wi-fi. So I think it is still a mystery if they are even going to test the waters.

If they were all released the same day, I would probably go with Nintendo. First party games sell it. With no Halo 3 in sight and nothing I'm interested in on Sony's platform, I would pick up Revolution. The thing that draws me to Xbox is the cheaper games. So I will probably wait for a price drop when there is a nice library of cheap ones to choose from.

I'm just curious about a Revolution Zelda. I doubt they have one in the works for release with the current one on the way. But with their stable of games they could easily release a dozen first party games that would detract from both of the other systems.

Think about a launch with
Mario
Metroid
Zelda
Mario Party
Smash Brothers
Pikmin
Pokemon
F-Zero
Waverace (a legitimate sequel and not a rehash, like GCN)
Animal Crossing
Star Fox
Donky Kong Country

revive Pilotwings and Kid Icarus and toss in 15-20 3rd party games and they might have a hit on their hands. Toss in a dozen 3rd party sequels; Resident Evil, Mega Man, Castlevania, Monkey Ball, Madden, Viewtiful Joe, Burnout, some kind of Star Wars title, etc. and a dozen original titles like Eternal Darkness, and Pikmin and they have a solid launch. Problem is that most of these companies probably don't want to go head to head with 1st party offerings.

I think their big problem is that they focus way to much on idividual title sales. But at launch I don't think that should be an issue. The issue is getting your system into as many consumers hands as possible.

I would be hard pressed to decide on which games to get on launch day.
Old 03-11-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait to see Smash Bros. Revolution!
Old 03-11-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
With the announcement of backwards compatability Nintendo has secured my money. Im really excited to see where they will take this next step. I bought a Cube at launch and it seems I may have to buy the Revolution at launch as well.
Old 03-11-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Smash Bros. would be great.. if I recall it was the first "must have" on the Cube? Luigi's Mansion is a great game but I don't think it had the caliber of say Super Mario World or Mario 64.

With Nintendo's recent pairings with Sega and Namco, it would be really slick to see some Sega or Namco characters thrown into the Smash Bros. court. It would be the second time one of EGM's April Fool's jokes eventually became a reality.

With regards to online, Nintendo would have to be blind not to see this equation:
Animal Crossing + Online = Money
Old 03-11-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Animal Crossing + Online
Old 03-11-05, 01:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The term "online" was carefully dodged in regards to the Wi-fi. So I think it is still a mystery if they are even going to test the waters.

If they were all released the same day, I would probably go with Nintendo. First party games sell it. With no Halo 3 in sight and nothing I'm interested in on Sony's platform, I would pick up Revolution. The thing that draws me to Xbox is the cheaper games. So I will probably wait for a price drop when there is a nice library of cheap ones to choose from.

I'm just curious about a Revolution Zelda. I doubt they have one in the works for release with the current one on the way. But with their stable of games they could easily release a dozen first party games that would detract from both of the other systems.

Think about a launch with
Mario
Metroid
Zelda
Mario Party
Smash Brothers
Pikmin
Pokemon
F-Zero
Waverace (a legitimate sequel and not a rehash, like GCN)
Animal Crossing
Star Fox
Donky Kong Country

revive Pilotwings and Kid Icarus and toss in 15-20 3rd party games and they might have a hit on their hands. Toss in a dozen 3rd party sequels; Resident Evil, Mega Man, Castlevania, Monkey Ball, Madden, Viewtiful Joe, Burnout, some kind of Star Wars title, etc. and a dozen original titles like Eternal Darkness, and Pikmin and they have a solid launch. Problem is that most of these companies probably don't want to go head to head with 1st party offerings.

I think their big problem is that they focus way to much on idividual title sales. But at launch I don't think that should be an issue. The issue is getting your system into as many consumers hands as possible.

I would be hard pressed to decide on which games to get on launch day.
That'd be an amazing launch but there's no way they'd blow their wad on all those great games right away. We'd be lucky if we saw those titles released over an entire year.
Old 03-11-05, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

How could they do Animal Crossing online and keep the pedophiles off the game? It'd have to be canned expressions, no typing.
Old 03-11-05, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
How could they do Animal Crossing online and keep the pedophiles off the game? It'd have to be canned expressions, no typing.
How would you keep psychos off any game or forum or anything? Not too smart to do in an online game since it's easily traceable. Besides it wouldn't be a place to meet people in person so I don't think it would be a problem if the parent was properly supervising a child in this situation.

Stopping fun things because of a fear isn't the right course of action, IMHO.
Old 03-11-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I guess we will see when more details of the DS version are released, but I guess maybe it will be monitored somehow or certain words may be blocked. No matter what they do I'm sure people will abuse it and get banned.

Anyway, the Revolution has really peaked my interest. I would guarantee the Revolution will work online, but I'm betting it will work with the DS as well. I will probably go with a combo of that and the PS3 as the Cube and PS2 combo has worked well for me. I gave the Xbox a try twice, but Xbox Live doesn't interest me and neither do FPS games so there was really no reason to bother with an Xbox when the PS2 did RPGs so much better. Xbox2 looks like more of the same.

If I have to choose one for launch I think the Revolution will be ahead of the PS3 at this point, but it will depend on just how different this console is. However, if Cube games work with it the controllers must work pretty well with standard games so maybe it won't all be gyroscopes or whatever is rumored.
Old 03-11-05, 04:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
what exactly does "backward compatible" mean?
Old 03-11-05, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CreatureX
I can't wait to see Smash Bros. Revolution!
I'd like at least 1 more Smash Bros. before then though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.