Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to find old press kits/books?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-10-05, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully there's an answer besides "eBay", but basically here's my situation very quickly: I'm starting work on a final paper for my film class, it's due in about 2 months but I wanna get started on research now because I know this is something I could work on for 5 years and not finish. Basically it's a course on 'trash cinema' (sex/blax/exploitation, horror, etc.) and I'm doing my work on the mis-marketing of Ed Wood's films. I have more than substantial info to cover background info on films, his life, etc. but what I'm trying to track down are any possible press books and such to help see marketing techniques beyond the obvious. Currently the only one I've tracked down is for a movie he wrote, but didn't direct, are there any stores or such that sell stuff like this? I wasn't even sure which forum to put this in, but since it is directly movie-related, I figured here, please move if necessary.
Old 03-10-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, that's really a niche item. Unless there is a store that actually sells that stuff, or reprints, it sounds like your best bet is going to be eBay.

Side note: you are going to try to excuse Ed Wood's awful, awful movies by them having been mis-marketed? Ooookay.
Old 03-10-05, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Wow, that's really a niche item. Unless there is a store that actually sells that stuff, or reprints, it sounds like your best bet is going to be eBay.

Side note: you are going to try to excuse Ed Wood's awful, awful movies by them having been mis-marketed? Ooookay.
I'm pretty sure that I never said anything like that. 'mis-marketing' = not marketed correctly. His movies are 'awful' but there is still a lot to be learned from them, and anyone who doesn't think so is ignorant. Had these movies been marketed properly, they would've thrived on the exploitation circuit, but for various reasons, those which I don't have time to type a 10pg response to you, they were often poorly marketed and at the wrong audiences. It has nothing to do with not being recognized as great films, it has to do with a prime example of why so so so many poor, cheap films were able to thrive on the exploitation circuit, while Wood's films (with the exception only of 1 pretty much) were all financial losers, and just why this is.

Last edited by fliggil; 03-10-05 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i find old kits at used record/dvd stores sometimes....might try those, but doubt you will find ed wood stuff in florida...might try hitting a horror convention...or the old ebay....cringe. I have never seen these online anywhere
Old 03-10-05, 10:45 PM

Hmm didn't really think about conventions, I guess I'll check if anything is within reasonable distince in the next few weeks, thanks.