Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HOGAN'S HEROES: Season 1 this Tuesday....

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else as excited as me about this set? I can't wait. Every episode was comedy gold.

Gotta love Klink.
Old 03-10-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably pass, as I never watched this show a lot growing up, but I do know some people who have been waiting since the roll out of DVD for this set.
Old 03-10-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as one of them! I'll be picking this up...along with The Incredibles...at a local B&M next Tuesday. (Currently, Circuit City seems to have the low price for Hogan's Heroes, Season 1 at $25, but I'll wait and see what prices Costco and Wal-Mart have before I buy it there.)

I'm also relieved this is finally coming out, as it will finally get me off the hook with a number of friends whom I have convinced not to buy the Columbia House "single disc" releases.
Old 03-10-05, 07:22 PM

Yeppers. I love this show. Prob the best that came out of the 60s. Yes, better than Gilligan's Island, which I'd rank #2.
Old 03-10-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My pre-order from Digitaleyes is already on the way. I plan on purchasing every season if they are released.
Old 03-10-05, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
My pre-order from Digitaleyes is already on the way. I plan on purchasing every season if they are released.
They better be. I plan on buying all 6 seasons.
Old 03-10-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked this show when I was a kid but haven't seen it in 25 years. I think I'll rent first.
Old 03-11-05, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which seasons were better in this series??
Old 03-11-05, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by emhello
Which seasons were better in this series??
They pretty much were all classic. They never got old or bad. The show literally coulda gone on for more than 6 seasons. So they were all good.
Old 03-11-05, 04:26 AM

One year in college (circa '94), my roommate was from Germany. I usually got back from classes before he did and it was always akward whenever he'd show up and I was watching a HH rerun while having lunch.

Felt like Basil Fawlty, "Don't mention the war".
Old 03-11-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are these DVD's anamorphic? I ask because I've seen 'widescreen' ones on Hallmark's HD channel.
Old 03-11-05, 12:05 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, they're 1.33 aspect ratio.
Old 03-11-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait! Right up there with Green Acres & The Munsters as one of my all-time favorites!
Old 03-11-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
No, they're 1.33 aspect ratio.
That's unfortunate, because you do see some additional area on the HD versions. I realize it was shot on film for 1.33 and it's hard to explain unless you have seen it, but there is clearly more picture on the 16:9 HD versions Hallmark is showing.

I guess I'll have to have my brother take a still pic to better illustrate it. Bummer abouot the DVD's though.
Old 03-11-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of off-topic, but I'd recommend that all "Hogan's Heroes" fans make sure they've seen Billy Wilder's "Stalag 17." I can't imagine "Hogan's Heroes" would have existed without "Stalag 17" coming first. Plus, it's a great movie.
Old 03-11-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tacomantt
That's unfortunate, because you do see some additional area on the HD versions. I realize it was shot on film for 1.33 and it's hard to explain unless you have seen it, but there is clearly more picture on the 16:9 HD versions Hallmark is showing.

I guess I'll have to have my brother take a still pic to better illustrate it. Bummer abouot the DVD's though.
A number of places have discussed this, apparently the original 1.33:1 framing was cropped from a film frame that had more information on all four sides. For the HD showings they went back to the original negatives or prints and were able to open up the sides somewhat and show more of the information that had originally been cropped. I don't know offhand if the image was cropped any more from the top/bottom though.

I will differ with you and say that I would prefer the framing as originally broadcast. Even though I'm not particulary interested in this release. Season two of Kung Fu on DVD went back to the original 4:3 framing after season one had been changed to 16x9. In the case of season one I believe the image was just cropped and didn't reveal any additional info on the sides, though.

My preference favors presentations that are as close to the orignal as possible.
Old 03-11-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I will be getting Hogans Heroes on Tuesday also. Loved the show, I also will be getting future season sets of the show as they come out. And to Walter Neff, yes I also loved Stalag 17, I own the DVD and have seen it many times.
Old 03-11-05, 02:47 PM

Yes, I have STALAG 17. While it has it's humor it is more serious than HH. With HH the Germans are a lot more bumbling and it's all for laughs. I enjoy them both.

THE GREAT ESCAPE also fits into this mix as an influence on HH. I really like that movie too.
Old 03-17-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Found the following article posted over at TVshowsonDVD.com about the Hogan's Heroes Season 1 box set. It appears the contents were reversed on some of the discs that were sold, but Paramount is offering replacements for anyone wanting them.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3135

Hogan's Heroes - Problems with discs? Read here!
Posted by Gord Lacey
3/17/2005

Some fans that picked up Hogan's Heroes season 1 have been writing in to let us know that their discs 1 and 2 contents are reversed, and wondering how they can get fixed copies. We were told this was a very isolated incident, and a small number of problem sets were released, but it appears this is a larger issue than we were lead to believe. Reader Scott Hassel sent us a special toll free number that Paramount customer service has set up for people needing to get corrected discs; 1-866-627-8201. Just call that number and they should be able to help you out.

Please pass this information along to any Hogan's Heroes listserves, newsgroups or forums so other fans can be aware of the exchange program.
Old 03-17-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep-got the message today.
Old 03-17-05, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info... guess I should check my copy out.
Old 03-17-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why send them back? Can't you just watch Disc 2 first? This should be corrected, but it's not like the discs or content is defective and isn't worth getting upset over...
Old 03-17-05, 12:21 PM

Well here's a very very short review of the set so far.

Picture quality = about as good as it's gonna get for a show from the 60's. I expect the other seasons video to be a bit better.

Sound? Way too low. I had to turn the volume up quite high to get the voices heard.

Extras? None. But WHO CARES. All I wanted was the episodes, so I am very happy. They can always do extras/interviews for future seasons.

The show is beyond funny. I laughed SO hard at the 3rd episode last night. Best money I've spent in a good while.
Old 03-17-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Why send them back? Can't you just watch Disc 2 first? This should be corrected, but it's not like the discs or content is defective and isn't worth getting upset over...
Some people are very anal about their collections and like to have them as perfect as possible. It's obviously the choice of each individual whether or not they want to exchange the discs.

I'm still waiting to receive my Hogan's Heroes set from Digitaleyes. It shipped over a week ago but I guess that's what I get for choosing free media mail. Hopefully I will get it within the next few days.
Old 03-17-05, 11:37 PM

Extras???
Is there any cast member still alive to to a commentary??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.