DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dragnet (1967) announced...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragnet (1967) announced...

awesome news from tvshowsondvd.com...

The second Dragnet TV series has been announced for release on June 7.

The 17 half-hour episodes from season 1 will be released in a 2 disc set, with a $39.98 suggested retail price. We can expect an English mono audio track, English, French and Spanish subtitles, and a full frame (1.33:1) picture. Universal has also announced that they will distribute a bonus audio CD with the original radio show program. It's not clear exactly what the radio program is (possibly the first program broadcast?). The radio program was broadcast from June, 1949 to Feb, 1957 (382 programs).

pretty high price for this set but im definitely buying.
Old 03-09-05, 06:23 AM

Oh, come on, "pretty high price" my posterior. For another DVD and a CD, they're suggesting a price 33% higher than what they suggest for recently released single disc movies.
Old 03-09-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hope they have those anti-psychedelic knee slapper episodes. Jack Webb rules!
Old 03-09-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by devilpants
Hope they have those anti-psychedelic knee slapper episodes. Jack Webb rules!
The LSD episode is the first episode of the '67 season.

"You're pretty high and far out. What kind of kick are you on, son?"
Old 03-09-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff. I used to love this show when I was a kid and it was rerun on Nick at Nite. I have some other collection of the B&W episodes and there's one where a bunch of kids try to start a "riot" in a movie theater and the culprit is a marajuana cigarette. Good stuff.
Old 03-09-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimension X
The LSD episode is the first episode of the '67 season.

"You're pretty high and far out. What kind of kick are you on, son?"
This was of course based on the truth as LSD was a long forgotten drug that was reborn in the 60s for its hallucinogenic effects.

The show may seem dated now, but Jack Webb's just-the-facts-strictly-by-the-book cop act is still cool.
Old 03-09-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
This was of course based on the truth as LSD was a long forgotten drug that was reborn in the 60s for its hallucinogenic effects.

The show may seem dated now, but Jack Webb's just-the-facts-strictly-by-the-book cop act is still cool.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Jack Webb fan and I love Dragnet (heck, I even own the Dragnet board game). I just think it's funny to hear Sgt. Friday (or, now that I think about it, Sonny Bono, or Greg Brady, or anyone else) say "far out."

You won't get any argument from me on the continued relevance of the show (watch a few episodes, or listen to a few of the radio episodes, and it's easy to see "the more things change, the more they stay the same").
Old 03-09-05, 01:26 PM

Hey maybe they start getting ADAM-12 on dvd that would rock..
Old 03-09-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Man, I hope this means that Emergency and Adam-12 will follow not too far behind this set. I love those shows and want both entire series on DVD.

Dragnet is great, too - I love the old radio show. It's amazing just how relevant that show still is (drugs, prostitution, gangs - it's all there). Jack Webb was great. I'd love to get (more of) the classic 1950's version, but the late 60's version was great as well - it just comes off as a bit campy (which I don't think was Jack Webb's intent).

Now if only they'll put Pete Kelly's Blues out on DVD in anamorphic widescreen - that's a great Jack Webb movie!
Old 03-09-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hogfat
Oh, come on, "pretty high price" my posterior. For another DVD and a CD, they're suggesting a price 33% higher than what they suggest for recently released single disc movies.
im not sure what youre even saying here but ya, $39.95 MSRP for a 2 disc set is definitely a pretty high price. ok so theres a bonus cd, cool, still about 10 bucks too high.
Old 03-10-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's worth it. Reading all this stuff about the show made me search the house for some of the old tapes I have from Nick at Nite. Couldn't find any of them, but I did come across the 1992 Rerun Countdown. And what do you know, number five that year was the famous Blue Boy episode. Man, what a blast that one was. Can't wait for the rest of S1!
Old 03-10-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarredgod
im not sure what youre even saying here but ya, $39.95 MSRP for a 2 disc set is definitely a pretty high price. ok so theres a bonus cd, cool, still about 10 bucks too high.
$39.95 is too high for an entire season of a show, around 8 1/2 hours? Remember, most movies have a MSRP of $29.95 for 2 hours. A $39.95 MSRP should equal about $25-28 in the stores...
Old 03-10-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed this show when it ran initially. During the 8th grade for a special "warning", all students were taken to the auditorium and one of the hippie drug episodes was shown to try and scare us into staying on the straight and narrow. I remember the end scene where Friday and Gannon break into the house and the high schoolers(?) were stoned and a weeks worth of food seemed to be on the stove and a couple of children(2yrs. old or younger) were very dirty. Rather shocking images for 1970 and caused all students to have a good discussion back in the classroom.

This show will definitely bring back memories. (Looks meaningfully at partner and nods head up and down until fade-out.) Dum-de-dum-dum.
Old 03-11-05, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
Simply put: Universal's recent movie releases on dvd carry a $29.95 or so suggested retail price. For this release, the suggested price rises to $39.95, about 33% more than single disc movie releases. What does one get for the added price? Another dvd and a cd -- for $10. Certainly is a reasonable price point, relative to the company's other products.
Old 04-27-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-27-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I remember an anti-pot episode where a woman gets stoned and falls asleep with her baby in the bathtub. The baby drowns. Hilarious.
Old 04-27-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, what comic relief. A dead baby. Moron.
Old 04-27-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Yeah, what comic relief. A dead baby. Moron.
Actually, a moron is somebody who takes such anti-drug hokum seriously, so watch your mouth.