Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How is "Romper Stomper"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How is "Romper Stomper"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 03:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
How is "Romper Stomper"?

want to here from "viewers like me" on the caliber of this early Russell Crowe flick.
Old 03-08-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Visceral, brutal in its first half; quiet and elegiac in its conclusion. Violent throughout. Not anything groundbreaking, but assertive enough to have something more to say than just "Skinheads are bad".

Crowe is perfectly menacing and raw. Romper Stomper also features one of my favorite brawls.
Old 03-08-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
As I recall, the first half is a realistic, 'slice-a-life' about a gang of skinheads. In the last half, it starts to seem more like a crime story, where the three main characters just happen to be/used to be skinheads.

I saw it way back in 92 or 93 when it came out, and I remember being disturbed because it felt to me like the movie was being overly sympathetic with the skinheads. Particularily
Spoiler:
The scene where an insane number of the Asian gang members start attacking the wharehouse where the skinheads were squatting. I remember a CU of the one guys face, near tears as he says "They're not going to destroy our home." It seemed like it was a metaphor for what they felt the forgeinors were doing to their country/home. Smashing it apart like savages.
. That's the main thing I remember, but this was over ten years ago, so it is possible that was an over-reaction on my part.
Old 03-08-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
As I recall, the first half is a realistic, 'slice-a-life' about a gang of skinheads. In the last half, it starts to seem more like a crime story, where the three main characters just happen to be/used to be skinheads.
This is what I don't like about it.
Old 03-08-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'm the one that recommended this to you.

I love the film b/c of Crowe's perormance & bought it just b/c of that. It is brutal & feels real b/c it was shot with a 16-mm hand held. I don't think the film is "oversympathetic" to skinheads at all, it makes an effort to get into their heads which I think some may mistake has sympathizing with them, by the ending you will definitely see that the movie in no way glorifies them. My only big complaint w/ the film is the love triangle.

However, if your looking for something new to get, take my other suggestion & go with Spaced: The Definitive Collection you will not regret it. Romper Stomper is phenomenal, but not the kind of film that you will watch often. Spaced you could watch endlessly & never get sick of it.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-08-05 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the chase scene with the angry mob after the skinheads is one of the most kinetic pieces of actions I've ever seen in a film. Its also interesting in that you're hoping the main characters don't make it and get their asses kicked. Russell Crowe is very scary in this movie.
Old 03-09-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always liked it when Miss Molly would look through her mirror and say that she saw ME!
Old 03-10-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Pretty good... 7.5 to 8/10
Old 03-10-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Visceral with very solid performances, but yet I couldn't get into it at all.
Old 03-10-05, 02:14 PM

Seconded. Good acting, really raw and rigid cinematography (which I usually enjoy), but I just couldn't manage to get into it. I understood it's statement, even though that deteriorated near the film's conclusion as it evolved into just another crime film. Decent, probably worth a watch, but don't expect anything awesome. 6.5/10. It's only $7.50 at Wal-Mart...I bought it blind, and I'm not too disappointed that I did. You might want to do the same.

-JP
Old 03-10-05, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I always liked it when Miss Molly would look through her mirror and say that she saw ME!
That was cool, but it wasn't nearly as cool as the giant bumble bee named Doobie.
Old 03-10-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good movie, I even have the double disc.
Russell Crowe pwnzed in this.... I don't know, I heard that somewhere..... Sincerely Dr. Evil
Old 03-19-05, 02:06 AM
WOG
Cool New Member

The movie was great, a great australian (Melbourne) film that i was lucky enought to see it get filmed. because im from melbourne,...and to see russell before he really blow up!!