Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So which directors are known to get 'Final Cut' for their movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do remember this thread being around quite some time ago but couldn't find it with the search. Sorry if it's still active or something.

If you don't know, a director having Final Cut means that he/she has the last word on how the movie is put together, like what parts get cut, what the running time is, what kinda music to use, etc. Nowadays studios and producers tend to have more say in what the finished product will be, so it's actually quite rare to find a director who has Final Cut. This doesn't include directors of low budget B flicks or anything either.

From memory, I seem to remember P. T. Anderson saying on some commentary/making of that he had Final Cut for Magnolia.
I'm pretty sure George Lucas has it for his Star Wars movies (the new ones anyway).
I think I might have heard that Stanley Kubrick had it for some of his movies too, hence most of them being kinda far out.

Correct me if I'm wrong and list some other directors too.
Old 03-08-05, 11:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There was a thread about this some time ago, I can't find it now.

There's only a handful working today. Off the top of my head I'll name Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Woody Allen.
Old 03-08-05, 11:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
I'm pretty sure George Lucas has it for his Star Wars movies (the new ones anyway).
oh don't remind him, he'll probably find something wrong with the current DVD versions and correct them for the HD-DVD editions.
Old 03-08-05, 11:27 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I would hope that Robert Altman does, but I wouldn't put money on it. I wonder about M. Night Shyamalan.
Old 03-08-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
There was a thread about this some time ago, I can't find it now.

There's only a handful working today. Off the top of my head I'll name Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Woody Allen.
Hmm, I always though Speilberd DIDN'T have it for most of his big budget movies, hence why they seem to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Not saying that he's a bad director or that all his movies are like this, but his movies just don't seem to have an edge. Like you can't tell it's him directing it by just watching the movie... they all just seem to be 'general' movies that appeal to most people, rather than something very specific that an individual and those in his/her niche would enjoy.
I could be wrong though.
Old 03-08-05, 11:33 AM

Spielberg is his own boss, of course he has final cut.

And I can always tell a Spielberg film when I'm watching it.

I think Altman is a good guess. As for Shyamalan, I heard he got final cut on Unbreakable, but since then he has not.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-08-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 11:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of directors have it on a case by case basis.
Old 03-08-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
A lot of directors have it on a case by case basis.
Exactly...there are tons of directors that get final cut...even many first time directors get it.
Old 03-08-05, 11:42 AM

What first time director has gotten final cut? Not on a studio film!

Generally, what happens is a young director has a huge hit, so for their followup film they are given a "blank check" deal that usually includes final cut. This is usually revoked after they go apeshit with the money and creative control.

Very few directors have Final Cut all the time. Forgot one earlier: Quentin Tarantino.
Old 03-08-05, 11:44 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What first time director has gotten final cut? Not on a studio film!

And that's why it probably never happens anymore.
Old 03-08-05, 11:47 AM

I was of course talking about active directors, but you are correct about Welles.
Old 03-08-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If a director is also the main producer, he usually has final say.
Old 03-08-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he'll probably find something wrong with the current DVD versions and correct them for the HD-DVD editions.
Well, there are some things that are wrong, that need to be corrected. Besides, he'll do it anyway. Lucas does what Lucas wants, not that I always like what he does. You and I'd do the same in his position.

As for the question, I'd guess that only Lucas and Spielberg have final cut on every film they do.
Old 03-08-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I'm pretty sure Spike Lee is insistent on getting final cut. And while I love many of his movies, after watching something like Jungle Fever or Bamboozled, I wonder if he might benefit from someone 'forcing' him to get rid of some of the films more wandering moments.
Old 03-08-05, 01:28 PM

i would guess the Coen Brothers get final cut, but i don't know.
Old 03-08-05, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
after watching something like Jungle Fever or Bamboozled
Or SHE HATE ME, which is a good commerical for not giving Spike final cut anymore.
Old 03-08-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Norman Jewison won't make a movie unless he has final cut.

So we can blame him for that mess The Hurricane...
Old 03-08-05, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
As for the question, I'd guess that only Lucas and Spielberg have final cut on every film they do.
each of the following routinely negotiate 'final cut' into their contracts: Woody Allen, James L. Brooks, Jonathan Demme, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard, Michael Mann, Anthony Minghella, Sydney Pollack, Robert Redford, Ridley Scott, Oliver Stone and Robert Zemeckis. also, Peter Jackson has 'final cut' for the first time on King Kong.
Old 03-08-05, 02:53 PM

Sydney Pollack? That one surprises me.

I think Oliver Stone's final cut privileges [Danny Glover]have just been revoked[/Danny Glover].
Old 03-08-05, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
... also, Peter Jackson has 'final cut' for the first time on King Kong.
wonder if he filmed the "spider pit" scene...
Old 03-08-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Or SHE HATE ME, which is a good commercial for not giving Spike final cut anymore.
I was thinking, including Bamboozled, just the opposite.
Old 03-08-05, 02:57 PM

Jim Jarmusch owns the negatives to his films. And has, on one noted occasion, refused to cut at the behest of a distributor . . .
Old 03-08-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
I was thinking, including Bamboozled, just the opposite.
Do you mean just for the train wreck quality? Or do you actually think these movies work better as bloated, excessivly offensive, inconsistant in tone, over long movies?

I'm not trying to slam you if you really like these movies (I think the qualities I listed above do make Summer of Sam a great movie). I'm curious to find people who legitimently liked Bamboozled and She Hate Me, and not in a 'so bad it was fascinating way'.
Old 03-08-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I think Terry Gilliam had final cut on his first three films (Jaberwocky, Time Bandits, Brazil), although he was later tricked into giving up final cut on Brazil.
Old 03-08-05, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm curious to find people who legitimately liked Bamboozled and She Hate Me, and not in a 'so bad it was fascinating way'.
Well, using 'legitimately' implies liking the films for their 'legitimate' reasons, which usually boils down, in my experience, to liking the story.

Bamboozled (which prepped me for She Hate Me) does barrel through the last act like the Silver Streak through Union Station, but that doesn't mean it didn't earn the right to do so.

It's been a few years so I can't get specific, but Bamboozled struck me as a very expressive work. It's a work that communicates its author's anger so well, that when the plot caves in on itself, it's perfectly natural. I liked the performances across the board, even the grotesqueness of Damon Wayans fit in with Lee's mad world. And of course Savion Glover's dancing was a joy to watch. Even the minstrel shows were quite mesmerizing (and disturbingly beautiful to look at, as Lee shot these scenes on 16mm film, not the digital video for the rest of the film).

And She Hate Me, I thought (in rare agreement with Roger Ebert) Lee used cliches and stereotypes to a masterful degree. And it had some very funny moments.

I like Spike Lee because of his way of expression on screen, it's so raw and beautiful when he lets loose.

And I found the 25th Hour quite good as well.

Though the performances in Summer of Sam made me detest that movie.

Last edited by sundog; 03-08-05 at 03:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.