Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What song will always take you back to a special time in your life?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

For me, every time I hear The Who's "You Better You Bet", I think about being in band, and taking bus trips to games or marching band contests. You had the percussion section that always goofed off and had to be told to sit down, members of the brass making out with members of the woodwinds. Then there was me, whose job it became to supply the soundtrack for the times with my ever-present jambox.

Good times.
Old 03-05-05, 10:57 PM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts
"Ghostbusters."
Old 03-06-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Every Breath You Take" instantly reminds me of Summer 1983. It reminds me of days and nights spent at the pool with friends.

For various reasons a couple of others that do that are the Nirvana unplugged version of Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" (Fall 94), "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails (Summer 94), "Man On The Moon" by R.E.M. (Fall 92), "Raspberry Beret" by Prince (May-June 85), and "A Sort of Homecoming" by U2 (Fall 84).
Old 03-06-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Chicago- Hard Habit to Break and Prince-When Doves Cry...I was in love for the 1st time in my life and the girls mother was C-yoo-N-T about it and so was her ex boyfriend who wen to her mother to expose our relationship. It was bad time for me but it was part of growing up.

Madonna- Vogue...It was from the Dick Tracy soundtrack and I saw DT the day my Father was killed in an accident.
Old 03-06-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Man, my list would be way too long.

Seriously.
Old 03-06-05, 05:42 PM

I can't make you love me (cover-verison) by George michael.
It reminds me of a love i had for someone that i could never have by the way she still in my heart deep inside...
Old 03-06-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Don't You Forget About Me" -- It sums up the better part of the 80's where I was young and in love.
Old 03-06-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

modest mouse - "dramamine"
or
pixies - "bone machine"
Old 03-08-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Here's where the story ends" by The Sundays.

Every time I hear this song it takes me back to one of the most memorable times of my life. It was 1997 and I was driving cross-country non-stop with one of my best friends on our first out of state snowboarding excursion all the way to Mt. Hood Oregon. He had just recently introduced me to The Sundays and this was a very pivotal point in my life, one where a certain chapter was finally coming to a close, and a significant one was just about to begin. That, and the fact that this was one of the funnest weeks of my life will always bring back great feeling whenever I hear this song.
Old 03-08-05, 08:15 AM

Michael Jackson's 'Dont Stop Till You Get Enough' takes me back to 1996-7, was a long running inside joke with my 3 best friends.
Old 03-08-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Heart's "These Dreams." I remember hearing that song quite a bit during my last days of high school and having mixed feelings about it because it was a big transitional part of my life at the time.
Old 03-08-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Aquabats - Attacked By Snakes

Seriously.
Old 03-08-05, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

as a kid I loved this piece of classical music, Suite 3: On the Trail - I remember jumping around pretending to be a donkey all around the living room. Then when the orchestral storm of Suite 5: Cloudburst came on, I then spazzed out and pretended a thunderstorm was in the house.

A-ha "Hunting High and Low"
- when this was released my sister and I shared the job of delivering the Uptown Citizen around in the neighborhood, I remember listening to this on vinyl numerous times while rolling the newspaper up in their plastic sleeves, before heading out.

"Footloose" soundtrack
- I remember my Sunday School teamed up with another Church's sunday school and we all went out and saw the movie, and someone had the soundtrack we were all giddy and goofy, so good times with good friends.
Old 03-08-05, 02:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Every time I hear "Oops I Did It Again" I'm whisked back to 1st grade.
Old 03-08-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Why Can't This Be Love" - Van Halen

One of the most happy 80's memories. It was warm out, had my copy of Seventeen with Molly Ringwald on the cover. Me and my friend drenched in pastel with jeans rolled up at the ankle and Converse All-Stars, skipping school and hearing this song.

It just reminds me of a fun high school 80's moment.
Old 03-08-05, 11:28 PM

Eve 6's "Heres to the Night" memories of the ex boyfriend and graduation night. A song that will always remain memorable to me. Or the Weakerthans "Left and Leaving" a truly haunting song.
Old 03-09-05, 10:40 AM

Head Like A Hole. I was coming out of a very bad relationship. As much as I enjoy(ed) Pretty Hate Machine, I cannot listen to it to this day, and that was 1991-1992. It's a shame, because it's such a good album. I still wish it was re-released in surround sound, as Downward Spiral was. Maybe then I could listen to it "fresh" again.
Old 03-09-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.
Old 03-09-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A-ha's "Take On Me" always remind me of the fun that I had in high school during the 90s even though the song came out in the 80s.
Old 03-10-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The most romantic love song of all time: 'Here, There and Everywhere' by the Beatles
Old 03-11-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round
Old 03-11-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Paradise by the dashboard light
Old 03-11-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Man, my list would be way too long.

Seriously.
Same here....the one though that probably hits me the most is Raspberry Beret by Prince. I had such a hard time growing up as a kid, and at the time music was my only outlet. I was around 11 at the time, and for some reason, that song reminds me a lot about growing up.
Old 03-13-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Right Here Right Now" by Jesus Jones.

I had just gotten dumped by my first really serious girlfriend. By coincidence I had also just turned 21 and had been introduced to serious drinking. On this one night, a buddy and I got toasted and had enough adventures that one night to last a life time.

Somehow in the middle of all this I found myself on a dance floor of a club called Bayou Mama's dancing with two incredible Asian girls. Quite a feat for a very average Hispanic guy. The song came on and I realized that I could be happy without that miserable bitch.

The story still brings a smile to my face.
Old 03-13-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anything 80's just takes me right back to a time in my life when i did the most growing up. I was 15 to 25 in that era (born in 65) and 80's music will always be my favorite.

I remember how HUGE bands like Def Leppard and REO Speedwagon were during my high school years. REO's Keep On Loving You & Take It On The Run (both from Hi Infidelity) were massive hits and pop favorites, but the coolest song on that album was Tough Guys....loved that opening from Our Gang.

I remember my first concert ever: Foreigner with Billy Squier as the opening act. My sister and her b/f took me to that concert. It was an experience I'll never forget. It was Foreigner's "4" tour and Urgent was the biggest song on the radio, along with Billy Squier's The Stroke.

...but as a previous poster mentioned, probably the most memorable song for me was "Dont You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds. The Breakfast Club was a top movie back then, and to this day i can't watch that movie or hear that song without associating them together, and both being such a reminder of that chapter in my life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.