Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What am I missing from my collection? (some 80's, some dramas perhaps)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I really feel there are some voids in my modest collection and since there is so many out there it is so hard to keep track. I really want to make sure that I am not missing any ones I truly love, likes ones from back in the 80's (I don't think I am). Perhaps some really engrossing dramas (not necessarily from the 80's). Or, maybe some great action flicks that were really well done on DVD.

If I could get some honest, true recommendations and reasons why...I want to keep a look out and figure the best way to browse is to browse the minds of the learned here at DVD Talk.

Thanks in advance to all that respond...
Old 03-04-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Citizen Kane
Sunset Blvd.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Fantasia (although they're hard to come by now unless you pay a lot on eBay)
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Shining
Three Colors Trilogy
The Decalogue
Minority Report
Boogie Nights
Old 03-04-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're missing Cinema Paradiso. It's Drama. It's from the 80s. It's fantastic.
Grab The Rocketeer (1991). My favorite film.
Legend of 1900 (1998?) another good drama. I imported the R2 PAL b/c I liked it so much, but the R1 release is good even with about 45mins of missing stuff.

Drexl's recs are good... particularly three colors. Are looking only for titles produced post-1979?
Old 03-04-05, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I really feel there are some voids in my modest collection and since there is so many out there it is so hard to keep track. I really want to make sure that I am not missing any ones I truly love, likes ones from back in the 80's (I don't think I am). Perhaps some really engrossing dramas (not necessarily from the 80's). Or, maybe some great action flicks that were really well done on DVD.
I see a distinct lack of Mamet in your collection; start with Glengarry Glen Ross.

RS
Old 03-04-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think you should let others dictate what should be in your collection....buy what you enjoy, simple as that.

I could tell you that you're missing PowerPuff Girls or something like that but that doesn't mean that you should have it in your collection.
Old 03-04-05, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
I see a distinct lack of Mamet in your collection; start with Glengarry Glen Ross.

RS
the only one that really enticed me was "Spartan and I taped it waiting to be watched.
Old 03-05-05, 12:39 AM

You have Convoy, therefore your collection is complete
Old 03-05-05, 02:42 AM

What kind of input are you looking for? Your collection is supposed to reflect your own taste. Personally, I think a movie library that doesn't include any French New Wave, Film Noir, neorealism, Woody Allen, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Welles, Lubitsch, Wilder, Bunuel, Renoir, Ozu, Polanski, Altman, Huston, etc. etc. has some gaping holes, but that's obviously not your thing. No big deal.

Based on your list, off the top of my head, I'd say you might be missing some good stuff like The Longest Yard, Full Metal Jacket, Excalibur, Nighthawks, The Color of Money, Caddyshack, Lethal Weapon, Slap Shot, Do the Right Thing, Silence of the Lambs, 48 Hrs., Planes Trains and Automobiles, The Right Stuff, Dog Day Afternoon, Escape From New York, Risky Business....
Old 03-05-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

80's (ish)

Arthur (only full-screen for R1)
Being There (December 1979)
Misery (1990)
Annie Hall (1977... okay, I'm reaching)

Great Must-Have Dramas

Chinatown
Delores Claiborne
Fargo
Maltese Falcon
On the Waterfront
Psycho
The Sting (only full-screen for R1)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Not sure if Fargo and The Sting would qualify as comedies, but they're both must-haves IMHO... of course, your tastes may be different.
Old 03-05-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by legend42
What kind of input are you looking for? Your collection is supposed to reflect your own taste. Personally, I think a movie library that doesn't include any French New Wave, Film Noir, neorealism, Woody Allen, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Welles, Lubitsch, Wilder, Bunuel, Renoir, Ozu, Polanski, Altman, Huston, etc. etc. has some gaping holes, but that's obviously not your thing. No big deal.

Based on your list, off the top of my head, I'd say you might be missing some good stuff like The Longest Yard, Full Metal Jacket, Excalibur, Nighthawks, The Color of Money, Caddyshack, Lethal Weapon, Slap Shot, Do the Right Thing, Silence of the Lambs, 48 Hrs., Planes Trains and Automobiles, The Right Stuff, Dog Day Afternoon, Escape From New York, Risky Business....
no, see that is perfect...DDA is a movie i love and almost totally forgot about, now i can look for the best price. that is all i am looking for similar in my collection, but ones i've missed. thanks for the great selection.
Old 03-05-05, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
You have Convoy, therefore your collection is complete
i know i just got the German version and i am psyched!