Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good UFC games?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good UFC games?

i was thinkin of buying UFC: Sudden Impact for ps2 at blockbuster for 20 bucks (i heard throwdown sucked). can anyone who played it give me some feedback? thanks
Old 03-04-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is actually a pretty good game...I wrote up a review for Gamefaqs when it came out last year.

Lets get this out of the way. Yes this game has flaws from a technical standpoint...the in game sound is horrid...the crowd is just pathetic, and fighter intros are sad.

But once you get to the meat and potatoes...the gameplay...this game is fantastic and an improvement upon the gameplay system in the first UFC for DC and Pride FC for PS2

Gameplay 9/10

Other reviews have claimed that the gameplay has not changed at all. Incorrect. The basics have indeed stayed the same... you know... one button per limb and two to go for a takedown...plus a step in one of the four directions in addition to a button produces a different move.

Now to the new. First of all long range attacks. Instead of using footwork to creep up to an opponent you can start a move from long range and you automatically charge up to the opponent...these are a pretty cool addition.

Another move that has been added is a running spear...while this looks cool it is out of place in an MMA game in my opinion.

Now you can use the cage to your advantage. If you execute a takedown against the cage you will now pin them against the cage in a half mount. From here you can drop bombs on your opponent or go for a choke.

Another new addition is being put briefly in the butt-scoot position...if an opponent knocks you down with a grabbing strike you will be knocked flat on your back. From here your opponent can either motion you up, drop into your guard...or you can pull guard.

The coolest addition in my opinion is the side mount. When you are in your opponents guard you now have the option to pass guard and go to side mount...from here you can knee the opponent and gain full mount.

The opponent A.I. has also improved...it is very tough to get out of a front mount. The opponent will strike and not just sit there passively.

In the original UFC with Marc Coleman I could just go for a fireman's carry takedown...end up in their guard...go for a knee bar, gain mount, strike to wear them down, and do a triangle choke. Not anymore...the CPU will make you pay if they get a front mount on you.

There are a few added touches as well...like opponents either tapping from a triangle arm bar on the ground...or attempting to escape and getting tapped while standing with you hanging on them (think Coleman vs Nog in Pride)

Some very nice touches and a very improved gameplay system.

Graphics 6/10

Not bad, but not wonderful...they get the job done though.

Sound 3/10

The crowd is horrid...and the generic grunts and groans of the fighter are just as horrid.

Overall this is a solid game and you can't beat the price.
Old 03-04-05, 02:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

The only good one I ever played was for the Dreamcast. I heard they always monkey with the gameplay and now they suck and don't even have Live support. Lerxt how does the one u reviewed compare to the DC one?
Old 03-04-05, 09:57 PM

UFC: Sudden Impact is the best UFC game yet, but that is not saying much. I bought a Dreamcast back in the day just for UFC. It was flawed but awesome. I knew that the sequel would be better. I was wrong. Tapout for Xbox was the exact same game, with better graphics and a few new characters. Tapout 2 was a little better, the only new thing was sidemounts. I never played Throwdown(I am considering picking it up just to complete the set). I was the only person to preorder Sudden Impact at EB back when it came out. They finally added some new posititions. Still the game just doesn't feel right. The striking is ok, the grappling and ground game is still awful. This was tolerable back in 2000 but 4 years later it is not.
My main gripe with the ground game was how limited it was. I mean you pretty much only had about 2 or 3 grapple moves in each ground position. The reversals on the ground are awful too. I mean I have never seen anyone on the bottom grab the top guys punch and flip him over.
I buy every UFC game(just like I bought all the tapes and dvds) because I want to support my favorite sport. Its just a shame that EA doesn't pick up the license and make an awesome game. It would be awesome to have an MMA game with 60+ fighters, new and old. A decent create a fighter would be good too.