Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Batman Begins suppose to be released in IMAX theaters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone at work just told me this but I haven't heard a thing about it, anyone know if this is true?

I've heard some people say that if a movie isn't made for an Imax screen that its hard to watch on one, anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-03-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup, i just read an article the other day that it will be a simultaneous IMAX release.

IMAXiCorporation and Warner Bros.iPictures today announced that Batman Begins will beisimultaneously released to IMAX(R) and conventional 35mm theatres on June 17th, 2005. The film, which explores the originsiof the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham, will be digitally re-mastered intoithe unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R) with proprietary IMAX DMR(R) (Digital Re-mastering)itechnology for the IMAX release.iWarner Bros.iPictures will be the exclusive distributor of Batman Begins toiIMAX theatresiworldwide.

"Moviegoersilove to experience our event movies in IMAX theatres and filmmakersirave about how their work appears onithe IMAX canvas," said DaniFellman, President of DomesticiDistribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "We're excitedito make our eighth film commitment to IMAX withi'Batman Begins: The IMAX Experience'."

"This filmiwill be the latest in a series of fantastic Warner Bros. Picturesireleases which have helped change the way moviegoers experience Hollywood movies," said IMAX Co-Chairmeniand Co-CEOs Richard L.iGelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Warner Bros. Picturesihas been an instrumental partner in establishing this trend and advancing the IMAX theatreinetwork as the newest distribution platform for Hollywood content."

Added Greg Foster,iIMAX Chairman and President of Filmed Entertainment, "We are extremely pleased with how our 2005 commercial film slate hasitaken shape and believe 'Batman Begins' will be a perfect way to kick off the blockbuster summerifilm season."
Old 03-03-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup.
Old 03-03-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I've heard some people say that if a movie isn't made for an Imax screen that its hard to watch on one, anyone have any experience with this?
that may have been true back in the old days, but now it's very simple and very enjoyable to see a film that wasn't shot specificlly for Imax on an Imax screen.
Old 03-03-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
that may have been true back in the old days, but now it's very simple and very enjoyable to see a film that wasn't shot specificlly for Imax on an Imax screen.
Cool, I've always meant to see a movie on Imax but never got around to it, as long as Batman plays in NYC somewhere I definitely will for that one.
Old 03-03-05, 04:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

do they maintain the OAR in the Imax versions? or is there some reframing/cropping?
Old 03-03-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
do they maintain the OAR in the Imax versions? or is there some reframing/cropping?
Well, with regards to the IMAX releases of Matrix and Harry Potter, the original aspect ratios were retained. Even the 3D Polar Express retained it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Seeing as this is WB, I imagine they'll stick with the OAR given their past history.
Old 03-03-05, 04:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Well, with regards to the IMAX releases of Matrix and Harry Potter, the original aspect ratios were retained. Even the 3D Polar Express retained it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Seeing as this is WB, I imagine they'll stick with the OAR given their past history.
very cool.
Old 03-03-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
When I saw Spider-Man and The Two Towers on IMAX, the only took up about 70% of the screen so as to keep the proper aspect ratio.
Old 03-03-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
Sweet!

And I was excited about Robots coming to IMAX.
Old 03-03-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I have never seen an IMAX movie,but it looks like i will be seeing my first one this June.
Old 03-03-05, 06:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
yes. i saw it on "Access Hollywood" so it has to be true!!
Old 03-03-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I saw Spider-Man and The Two Towers on IMAX, the only took up about 70% of the screen so as to keep the proper aspect ratio.
Those two films have never been in IMAX. What you saw was a 35mm print blown up to be projected on an IMAX screen. This occurs often with multiplexes that have an IMAX theater inside of them (I saw Rollerball, Minority Report, X-Men 2 and Alien: The Director's Cut this way).

These are the only "theatrical" releases to get an IMAX (DMR) release...
- Fantasia 2000 (shown in it's OAR of 1.66:1).
- Beauty and the Beast (shown in it's OAR of 1.66:1).
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (cropped down to 1.78:1).
- Apollo 13 (cropped down to 1.66:1).
- The Lion King (shown in it's OAR of 1.66:1).
- The Matrix Reloaded (shown in it's OAR of 2.40:1).
- The Matrix Revolutions (shown in it's OAR of 2.40:1).
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (shown in it's OAR of 2.40:1).
- Spiderman 2 (shown in it's OAR of 2.40:1).
- The Polar Express (shown in it's OAR of 2.40:1).

Robots will be the next "theatrical" release to get an IMAX (DMR) release. I'm sure that'll retain it's OAR, but nothing is specific as of yet.

Since Warner Brothers has been embracing the IMAX format to release theatrical films, it's a 98% chance that both Batman Begins and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will retain their aspect ratios come release.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 03-03-05 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've watched both Matrix Revolutions and Harry Potter in IMAX, and i'm darn for sure tootin gonna watch Batman on it. I can't wait
Old 03-03-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Those two films have never been in IMAX. What you saw was a 35mm print blown up to be projected on an IMAX screen.
Yeah, I was just mentioning them because the OP was asking about watching non-IMAX movies on an IMAX screen initially. I thought we were still on that topic.