Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"new" BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF 3-disc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new" BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF 3-disc?

I did a search and didn't find anything so...

I was over at Ain't It Cool News and found Harry's DVD picks for March and he mentions a The Brotherhood Of The Wolf 3-disc. It sounds like it's just the Canadian one that came out years ago, but released in America now (according to Amazon.com it came out yesterday), but I'm just double checking to see if it is exactly the same one, or is there anything different? Harry makes it sound like they've translated the French to English on the extras (possibly subtitles for the commentary?) - "I knew I could just be patient till finally we’d get this edition, which essentially takes all that content and realizes it for us Americans".

Last edited by darqleo; 03-02-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have it and haven't watched any of the features, but to my knowledge before I bought it, all of the features were subtitled in English to begin with. Not sure about the commentaries though.
Old 03-02-05, 10:47 AM
Banned

Looks like it's a "special order" title as well. It's damned expensive as well at nearly $38. As much as I like the film, it'd be damned difficult to justify that double-dip.
Old 03-02-05, 11:10 AM
Suspended

I ordered the Canadian 3 disc when it came out and I love it !!!
Old 03-02-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
It is very expensive at $38, I also just looked at it on Amazon.But I'm intrested but can't get it right now. What's the diffrence between the two releases? Maybe if there isn't that much of a diffrence i'll just keep the one that I have, although i'm intrested in getting the 3 disc version though. So what are the diffrences? better/sharper picture, and sound or not?
Old 03-02-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have it and haven't watched any of the features, but to my knowledge before I bought it, all of the features were subtitled in English to begin with. Not sure about the commentaries though.
The commentaries are in French, with no subtitles, unfortunately. All of the extra features are subtitled otherwise. It is a very good set, I found 2 at Amoeba here in LA.

The picture looks fine to me, though I remember reading in some reviews that this one is a bit softer than the Universal release. It has French/English DD5.1 and French DTS, obviously with English subtitles. To me, I was more interested in some of the features, so I was willing to take a slight drop in picture quality, if at all. And best of all, it has an insert booklet.

Last edited by FinkPish; 03-02-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 02:06 PM
Banned

Wasn't the 3-disc set supposed to have a slightly longer cut of the film?
Old 03-02-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I do remember a couple of new scenes in the film, but it has been a while since I saw the American theatrical release, so it is hard to tell. It doesn't say specifically Director's or Extended Cut on the box, but it is a possibility. The running length listed on the back is 152 minutes, so if someone has a comparison for the other release, that will probably tell us.
Old 03-02-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The single disc, according to DVDEmpire, runs at 144 minutes.
Old 03-02-05, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The single disc, according to DVDEmpire, runs at 144 minutes.
Yeah, so what that makes an extra 8 minutes then, right?
Old 03-02-05, 02:58 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the discussion, this is exactly the same as the 3-disc Canadian version.
Old 03-02-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is probably the Canadian edition; amazon.com has access to some Canadian products (cds, dvds) from time to time.
Old 03-02-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harry from Aintitcool.com is only talking about the old 3 disc Canadian version...He just felt like adding it to his March DVDs because he felt like talking about it again...
Old 03-02-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Anyone seen this version for rental anywhere? Would like to get it, but it's a tad expensive...
Old 03-02-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
You can get the 3-disc here for $24:
http://www.thunderdvd.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?item=5350

I sometimes buy Canadian discs from them, and they're very reliable.
Old 03-03-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
You can get the 3-disc here for $24:
http://www.thunderdvd.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?item=5350

I sometimes buy Canadian discs from them, and they're very reliable.
Thanks for the link!
Old 03-03-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Yes.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0237534/alternateversions
Old 03-03-05, 12:05 PM
Cool New Member

DVDSoon

I have this version of the moive and it rocks. The DTS sound is amazing. The US release (single disc) was horrible. The english translation is very poor. The french DTS version and the english subs are more acurate. I got mine from canada via DVDsoon. http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=41367 They were fast to deliver it. It was perfect and only about 20.00. So enjoy.
Old 03-03-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by symaxwell
I have this version of the moive and it rocks. The DTS sound is amazing. The US release (single disc) was horrible. The english translation is very poor. The french DTS version and the english subs are more acurate. I got mine from canada via DVDsoon. http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=41367 They were fast to deliver it. It was perfect and only about 20.00. So enjoy.
I am going to have to (STRONGLY) disagree with you. Unless you provide some substantial evidence in support of your claim. Furthermore, the picture quality of the R1 disc is much better than the Canadian one. Not as good as the Collector's set (Blue cover book format) that came out in France but still better than the 3disc Canadian edition.

Please back up your claim,

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-03-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am going to have (STRONGLY) disagree with you. Unless you provide some substantial evidence in support of your claim. Furthermore, the picture quality of the R1 disc is much better than the Canadian one. Not as good as the Collector's set (Blue cover book format) that came out in France but still better than the 3disc Canadian edition.

Please back up your claim,

Pro-B
As much as I hate to agree with Pro-B here, I have to agree. I've heard that the R1 disc has a better picture transfer than the Canadian one. And this opinion is based on discussion when the disc was first released and reviewed.
Old 03-03-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But he didn't say anything about picture quality though. He said that this version(assuming cut) of the movie rocks, the DTS is amazing and the subs are more accurate. That's it, unless I read it wrong.
Old 03-03-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am going to have (STRONGLY) disagree with you. Unless you provide some substantial evidence in support of your claim. Furthermore...

Pro-B
Exactly FinkPish....I am quoting myself here. In addition to the fact that I disagree that the subs are better I added up that the dvd suffers in the picture quality area AS WELL. In fact, I would argue that the 5.1 mix on the Universal disc is just as good as the DTS track...and of course the DTS purists could disagree here but I believe that the 5.1 mix is absolutely superb. Not enough for me (and as I understand others as well) to invest in a DTS version that detracts quite a bit from the 3dvd Canadian set.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-03-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, it confused me because Mike Lowrey was agreeing with your statement, part of which wasn't a direct disagreement with what symaxwell originally posted.

Last edited by FinkPish; 03-03-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Granted I haven't seen the American version, but I thought the Canadian 3-disc version looked superb. Plus you can't beat that amazing DTS track, or the 2 discs of extras.
Old 03-03-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I remember correctly, the Canadian 3 disc (which is what I have, and I worship this film) was not flagged properly for the letterbox flags when a dvd player was set to 4:3 output - I think it was something to do that it letterboxed the letterbox, making it too thin of a window for the film, which caused some artifacting and sharpness issues. If you have a widescreen TV, this wasn't a problem at all, and the transfer is not too different from the US single disc release. The DTS mix is SUPERB, but so is the DD mix. I thought the bass was a bit tighter on the DTS mix, but I could just be hearing things.

Either way, I had the US version for a little too, and I always opted for the Canadian LE before the US version. The difference in the picture was not much at all, so I sold the US disc and kept the longer cut of the film.

And if I may say, this film is a fricken masterpiece. I absolutely love the editing, the gorgeous long shots, and the acting is top notch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.