Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

DOOM 3 -- Awful "Boss" level - Who designed this?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.

I just defeated the "Hell" level Boss and this has to go down as one of the most boring boss levels I've played. Wow. Run around and around and around and shoot these flying things over and over and over and over for about 25 minutes, running around and around, shooting and shooting, until all the flying thingies are are killed -- which are probably around 100 of them, and then destroy the boss.

I've played a lot of games and that boss has to be one of the most repetitive and boring I've ever played. Come on. . . Let's have a boss that thinks and strategizes and that you have to stalk and use tactical skills to kill. This circling and running and shooting over and over is lame.

I hope the other boss levels are better than that. This is my first time through playing Doom 3.
Old 03-01-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It took me awhile to figure out how to kill that boss, and it frustrated the bejesus outta me. Anyway, if you haven't realized by now, tactics and strategy have no place in Doom 3
Old 03-01-05, 10:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, to be honest . . . I prefer Half-Life 2. It was the only game thus far that I played, back to back. Doom 3 is too repetitive and dark for me. The "Hell" level has some nice design, however. Sound is good and very appropriate for the atmosphere. But that boss was as boring as . . . well. . . hell.
Old 03-01-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ricwhite
Wow. Run around and around and around and shoot these flying things over and over and over and over for about 25 minutes, running around and around, shooting and shooting, until all the flying thingies are are killed -- which are probably around 100 of them, and then destroy the boss.
Yeah, that sucked. It's so underwhelming that your battle with the Son of Satan consists of taking pot-shots at a bunch of whirlygig satellites.

So I've got some worse news for you - from this point forward, it's even more downhill:
Spoiler:
You actually return to the same boring moonbase for even more boring tunnel-crawling. And you spend a very long, tedious time reaching the Mars dig site, and then you have a final battle with a big boss character.

By that point, you'll be thinking, "I ventured through hell and beat the spawn of the devil - how can anything top that?" And you'll be right - it can't and doesn't.

So let's face it. The id guys make one hell of an engine (though, truth be told, the Half-Life engine rivals or surpasses it in some ways.) But for their lives, they can't make a good game. They've never had a good sense of level design - for any of their eight games to date - and their junk isn't even fun any more.
Originally Posted by ricwhite
This is my first time through playing Doom 3.
And I bet it will be your last, too.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 03-01-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, shouldn't take you long to beat this level. The "flying things" come out 3 at a time and you shoot all of them. After you kill the 3rd one, the boss is open for attack while he calls on more of them. Shoot boss at this time and repeat. When the next 3 come out, forget about the boss until you kill the next three flying things. I don't remember exactly but only had to do this a few times and he was dead.

Last edited by Ketamine; 03-02-05 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, once you figure out the pattern it should be pretty easy to kill. Problem for me was i ran around shooting the boss for a good 15 minutes until i realized it wasn't doing anything
Old 03-02-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you expect though? Doom is about killing things and thats it. The first Doom was like that, the second Doom was like that and of course Carmack is going to make Doom 3 like that because Doom has a cult following fan base that just whats to blow shit up, he made what sells.
Old 03-02-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I opened and read this thread because I am on the fence between buying this or Brothers in Arms. I think I'm going to drop-in on Normandy.
To Hell with...err...Hell.
Old 03-02-05, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Centurion
I opened and read this thread because I am on the fence between buying this or Brothers in Arms. I think I'm going to drop-in on Normandy.
Check out this thread also (Doom 3 and other options)
Old 03-04-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
What do you expect though? Doom is about killing things and thats it. The first Doom was like that, the second Doom was like that and of course Carmack is going to make Doom 3 like that because Doom has a cult following fan base that just whats to blow shit up, he made what sells.
"Blowing shit up" is fine. I mean, it's pretty boring, but it's okay.

But I hate pattern bosses, where you have to do things in a particular order (repeatedly ) to take them down. That's just as ridiculous in Half-Life as it is in Doom or any other game. D1 and D2 didn't feature this kind of thing; they just had massive bosses with lots of HP and heavy weaponry. D3's battles had more of this "pattern" junk.

- David Stein
Old 03-04-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Centurion
To tell you the truth, I would still buy Doom 3, just like I mainly bought Half-Life 2 for CS source and future mods. I would buy Doom 3 because of future free mods that might kick alot of ass.
Old 03-06-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stopped playing Doom 3 when I reached this boss, it was so stupid. I doubt I'll ever go back and finish the game.
Old 03-06-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I stopped playing Doom 3 when I reached this boss, it was so stupid. I doubt I'll ever go back and finish the game.
Normally, I'd say that since you got that far, you might as well put it in god mode, get past that boss, and see what the rest of the game has to offer...

But in this case, I'd so, no, it's really not worth it. It's a shame, really.
Old 03-07-05, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Why exactly was this boss so bad in your opinion?
Old 03-07-05, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
"Blowing shit up" is fine. I mean, it's pretty boring, but it's okay.

But I hate pattern bosses, where you have to do things in a particular order (repeatedly ) to take them down. That's just as ridiculous in Half-Life as it is in Doom or any other game. D1 and D2 didn't feature this kind of thing; they just had massive bosses with lots of HP and heavy weaponry. D3's battles had more of this "pattern" junk.

- David Stein
I agree completely. It's even worse when you can't do anything to speed up the pattern. I hate just going through the motions on a certain boss just to get them to do whatever it is that will allow me to inflict damage on them.

What's even worse is the "trick" boss, like the end boss from the original Quake. It's somewhat tolerable on lesser bosses, but the final fight should really involve pummeling something.

As an aside, I think my favorite FPS final boss will always be the one from the first Serious Sam. The reveal of him was awesome, then the section leading up to the fight, then the fight itself. Sure, there was a bit of a "trick", but it was combined with unleashing everything you had on him, so it wasn't as bad.