Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My Own Private Idaho - Criterion, Final DVD Cover Choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Own Private Idaho - Criterion, Final DVD Cover Choice

Very unique film, the DVD is amazing, and the transfer is as perfect as the film could look. River Phoenix is amazing in it, an oscar worthy performance by him, and great directing from Gus Van Sant. This might be one of his best films.

There is nothing like it. However, the Criterion Collection DVD could have been even better, if they would have gone with the original planned DVD cover. That shot of River Phoenix, is not only haunting and ground breaking, but it is the perfect compliment to the film itself. The final DVD cover art seems more like a star cash in (Keanu Reeves) than a cover to pay homage to River and the film.

I think Criterion should start pressing these covers for future stock on this title. They should make two covers available.

In a rare case, I know DVD covers mostly blow, but Criterion Collection chose star cash in over art.

It kind of makes the DVD seem like it's selling only for the star power of Keanu Reeves. Disappointing considering this wasn't the original planned cover art. Damn shame.......

Originally planned cover art!

Poll, take your pick, which one would you buy if you only wanted it for the cover art. Mine would be the Long River Walk, as I like to refer to it. I will refer to the chosen art as Keanu/River Motorcycle. Take your pick!

But, regardless this dvd, perfection aside, is as perfectly done a dvd as you will find. The transfer is great, done to perfection. The only issue with this release is the cover art, which could have been much better. If anybody can find a higher res picture of the Long River Walk, please post!
Old 03-01-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

reminds me of the recent Half Baked release... can you say cashing in on Dave Chappelle.
Old 03-01-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Yeah, I like the lone-River cover better too.

But this isn't the typical Criterion release - it's at all Best Buys, and people who wouldn't give it a second glance, are now picking it up because of Keanu. Of course if they know nothing about the movie, they'll be in for a big surprise, but that's niether here nor there.
Old 03-01-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Admittedly there are worse cases of the DVD cash in cover than this, but if you compare the two, it's an easy cash in cover to spot. The real star of the film, River Phoenix. What do you all say, did Criterion do this for star power?
Old 03-01-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the River cover sells itself, and yes, this is not a movie for everybody. Far from it....
Old 03-01-05, 06:31 PM

Criterion sold out.

Nothing is sacred anymore.
Old 03-01-05, 07:31 PM

But if they don't sell Dvd's, they won't be able to continue making Dvd's. I see nothing wrong with the cover. If it bothers you that much, just print your own.......
Old 03-01-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let's not forget, the shot of River behind Keanu was one of the key promo photos used during the film's original release. Anyone who was a fan way back had this shot on their wall. I like the planned River art, but the motorcycle "bitch seat" shot of the two guys is the way I remember the movie.

I wouldn't even say Keanu is really that recognizable in this shot for it to be a "big head" star cover. You want to see Criterion selling out, check out their Wes Anderson releases. Now there, you won't get an argument from me.
Old 03-01-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Admittedly there are worse cases of the DVD cash in cover than this, but if you compare the two, it's an easy cash in cover to spot. The real star of the film, River Phoenix. What do you all say, did Criterion do this for star power?
Who cares. It's a fucking DVD.
Old 03-01-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you do realize that criterion is a business...and they want to make money...

I agree with the above post...that is a familiar shot to me...

the vhs

original poster
Old 03-01-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
If talking about a DVD is pointless, then I guess it's time to close up shop at a forum named DVD TALK, then.

Jesus. If you've got nothing to contribute, move along. After 2 and a half years of posting here, you haven't caught on to that?

DJ
Old 03-01-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
So, this isn't one of those cases where there's a slipcover with one image and a keepcase underneath with the other?
Old 03-01-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the cover they went with is fine. Yeah its a "Big Head" cover but it doesnt give you the feeling of the other "Big Head" covers you see out there. Its very stylish and gives off some sort of intrigue to it.
Old 03-01-05, 09:31 PM

That's why we're talking about it, because it's a fucking dvd. See, the name of the forum is "DVDTalk", we talk about dvds.
Old 03-01-05, 10:15 PM

I saw this film way back in 92..still as good today as it was back then. Oh and that image for you folks, it's form the UK one sheet..yes it was River's film..but he & Keanu went in this as a team....he was pictured in all marketing material...so I don't know what the big fuss is all about.

I take that back...let's call it needless whining...

it's pretty fitting to have them both on the cover..no where near the Chapelle stunt.

Thanks to Criterion for an incredible dvd set..some people just need to look beyond a cover.

Last edited by kbjorn; 03-02-05 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At first, when I kept seeing both covers, I thought Criterion would do something like release the title with two different covers but I guess not.

I definitely like the original (more Criterion-esque) better, but the one with Keanu is fine (sort of a symbol actually) - and won't deter my purchase at all.
Old 03-02-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MurraySiskind
That's why we're talking about it, because it's a fucking dvd. See, the name of the forum is "DVDTalk", we talk about dvds.
Yeah...I'm here to discuss reviews of DVD's, DVD content, things like that.

Not whether or not Criterion 'sold out' because it chose one cover style over another. The conversation is re-god-damn-diculous. So they put Keanu on the front...who gives a shit. If it's that important to you, print out a different cover, like someone else suggested.

It's DVDTalk. Not DVDBitchAboutTheMostTrivialThingsEver.
Old 03-02-05, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-notrolls-

I like the cover Criterion chose. In fact, it's one of the few covers in awhile that I have no desire to change. The film is mostly about River's character, but remember that he gets most of his drive -- hell, maybe most of his reason to live -- from Keanu's character. I think it very appropriate that they are both on the cover.

My issue was my stupid Best Buy (supposedly the largest in the country) that didn't have MOPI on the new release table or even in the new release bins. It was buried under "My" in Drama!
Old 03-02-05, 08:19 AM

I think the bottom cover is just a much better image, from an artistic standpoint. The original poster is better, as well.
Old 03-02-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally like the cover. But even if you don't, you should know that the overall packaging (including the booklet, which I didn't anticipate liking) is absolutely exquisite -- the photography, the matte finish, etc. One of the best DVD packages I've seen in a long while.
Old 03-02-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
The thread is titled My Own Private Idaho - Criterion, Final DVD Cover Choice.

Nothing to contribute to this thread, then move along.
No need to threadfart.
Old 03-02-05, 09:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

Not whether or not Criterion 'sold out' because it chose one cover style over another. The conversation is re-god-damn-diculous. So they put Keanu on the front...who gives a shit. If it's that important to you, print out a different cover, like someone else suggested.

It's DVDTalk. Not DVDBitchAboutTheMostTrivialThingsEver.

Tarantino, as the others in this thread have said... "If you've got nothing to contribute, move along." If you aren't interested in the topic, then just don't open the thread.
Old 03-02-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by heavy liquid
I think the bottom cover is just a much better image, from an artistic standpoint. The original poster is better, as well.
From an artistic standpoint, the Long River Walk cover art is probably the best choice. It simply fits the mold of the Criterion symbol of excellence. As for the final cover art, I see alot of posters here don't really care that much, and some like it.

Me personally, I think Criterion made a huge mistake in choosing it as the final cover art. I am sure it will grow on me, but I wish so much that they start printing new pressings with that Long River Walk cover art. Not only would I buy it again, I think it would be pretty neat for them to do that.

What do all of you think?

Should Criterion press future pressings of MOPI using the Long River Walk cover.

I think you guys know what I think, yes they should do it.

BTW, it looks like Mike Waters dad picked him up at the end of the film, when he was having a narcoleptic seizure, judging by 1 of the deleted scenes. And than they showed that f**ked up face Mike always saw on that road that led him into his narcolepsy.

Here is a better resolution image of the originally planned cover art!

Last edited by dvd_luver; 03-02-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Lone" River cover is my favorite. Great movie - must own!
Old 03-02-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Duality
"Lone" River cover is my favorite. Great movie - must own!
Lone River, very good, I'll use that I like that better than Long River Walk. Lone River Walk would make a great name for that cover art. I agree, this movie is a must own on DVD but it is not for everybody. Some will be turned off by the subject matter of it, but I like what the guy who reviewed this DVD said, this movie is about flawed human beings. That is why I love this film, it kind of paints the picture of seeing through the faults of humanity, it paints a difference picture. Many messages to be taken from this film, but I still see it as a film about a young man with narcolepsy who so desperately wants to find his home, and not be lost and alone no more. Deep, absorbing film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.