Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the "Resident Evil" series changed forever?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 10:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I have never been into the earlier incarnations of the series, having tried RE-make to no avail.

So with the success and more universally accepted playability of RE 4...

...is the series changed to enhance the superior control, depth, story, graphics, and overall fun of the new one?

Now this is my opinion and some probably still like the old control scheme, but I think it is been said across the board that the controls are far superior to the old. And many sequels nowadays are just following the predecessors formula with slight improvements here or there, ie: "Metroid Prime" and "Echoes", "Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2", and on other systems with the "Jak" series among so many more. They seem to revamp the old formulas and make startling new improvements that change and change for the better for the rest of the series or at least until they revamp to the Nth degree.

But, will the next RE stay the same and will there be another one on the Gamecube?

What do you all think...
Old 03-01-05, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read an interview with Hiroyuki Kobayashi in the new EGM and he tells a little about where the series is headed. They are going to make a RE5 and it will probably follow where RE4 stops. If I remember correctly, He wants to see how the masses like the new controls (Japan, Europe, etc..) and will make a desision based on that. As for what systems it will come out on, nothing is said right now except for the PS2 getting RE4 later this year. They did mention that there is a rumor going around that the series will be headed over to the XBOX but nothing concrete.
Old 03-01-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After the rave reviews this new version has been getting I can't see them ever going back to the old style.
Old 03-01-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I love the series but the one thing I hated the most was the controls. I mean everyone else was using analog sticks but NOT the RE series. Once I started playing other games like it that used analog sticks I hated the RE controls even more.

I hope they start making the game for XBOX.
Old 03-01-05, 02:30 PM

Talking about the controls, I use a playstation controller with my Gamecube because I Hate the Gamecube controller, and, I still like using the D-Pad over the Analog stick but only for the Resident Evil games. I find that it controls quicker and for the RE series, I'm just so used to it. I tryed to use the analog stick in the beginning of RE4 but hated it. Anybody else doing this?
Old 03-01-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've no doubt this is the direction they'll stick with for Resident Evil. Hell, I hope they do. I loved the series, but this is a fantastic new way to go.

As for the Gamecube, I cannot see Resident Evil 5 being a Gamecube game, and I doubt it'll be Nintendo exclusive next gen anyway. That move didn't really work in Capcom's favor.
Old 03-01-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have been a fan of Resident Evil series since the beginning. I loved the story line and probably one of the few that even loved the old school controls and camera angles. I do like RE4 controls and environment alot, but HATE the way the story line is going, it barely had nothing to do with the RE series, except having Leon, Ada and mentioning Wesker. The fact that they decided to get rid of Umbrella just ruined the whole expirence for me. The game is awesome but is missing the story line. I like the story line of Code Verconica better than RE4. RE4's SL compares to that of Dead Aim, which isn't saying much, but even Dead Aim had something to do with the RE series.
Old 03-01-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Have been a fan of Resident Evil series since the beginning. I loved the story line and probably one of the few that even loved the old school controls and camera angles. I do like RE4 controls and environment alot, but HATE the way the story line is going, it barely had nothing to do with the RE series, except having Leon, Ada and mentioning Wesker. The fact that they decided to get rid of Umbrella just ruined the whole expirence for me. The game is awesome but is missing the story line. I like the story line of Code Verconica better than RE4. RE4's SL compares to that of Dead Aim, which isn't saying much, but even Dead Aim had something to do with the RE series.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm a Zombie/Living Dead fan and this series was great for giving me the "heebee jeebees" fix while playing it. I've only played demos of RE4 but it didn't really feel like a RE game to me.