Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

OPERA (Argento) Limited Edition--Defective?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I bought a copy of this today (used), and other than a few light scratches it looks fine. I tried to play it on several different players and it wouldn't play. Were there any reports of the first pressings of these being defective, because I heard the first pressings had chapter skips and freezing problems.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.
Old 02-27-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look on the back. If there is a sticker that says 'version 2.0' then you have a good copy. If not, it's defective and I bet Anchor Bay will take it back.
Old 02-27-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Here's a link to the webpage to get a replacement. I had to do this a few years ago and it was very painless and easy to do. They even sent me Supergirl for free as a thank you.

Opera Replacement

Read the instructions carefully and follow 'em to the letter and you should not have any problems.
Old 02-27-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by natevines
Look on the back. If there is a sticker that says 'version 2.0' then you have a good copy. If not, it's defective and I bet Anchor Bay will take it back.
well I got it used, so I'm guessing it won't have that sticker? it's weird that it won't play in any of the players I have tried it in. I have discs that are in worse shape and they still play. I sent some sort of disc report problem that anchor bay has you fill on the site, hopefully they will respond.

Last edited by asianxcore; 02-27-05 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ack, the mail address doesn't work? You might want to find a phone number or a general email address.

I just mailed mine off. It didn't play anyways and I had nothing to lose. I had bought mine used also. $10. It's pretty cheap to mail off just the disc.
Old 02-27-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ack, the mail address doesn't work? You might want to find a phone number or a general email address.

I just mailed mine off. It didn't play anyways and I had nothing to lose. I had bought mine used also. $10. It's pretty cheap to mail off just the disc.
Thanks for the help. Reported the problem on Anchor Bay's general defective email address. Hopefully they get back to me soon, since I have 30 days from the place I bought it from to get a refund.
Old 02-27-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully you should get a reply soon. At least you can get your money back in 30 days.
Old 02-27-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully you should get a reply soon. At least you can get your money back in 30 days.
Most likely the place I got it from will give me a refund. Though their policy is defective merchandise is exchanged for the same item, I doubt they have another copy of this in the store.
Old 02-27-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, that could be a sticky situation.

I don't think Opera is OOP so it shouldn't be a problem with AB replacing your disc. You just need to make sure you send it to the right place so you'll get the replacement quickly. I was just happy to be able to keep the case.
Old 02-27-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the DVD (the actual disc itself) does not have a red circle with an O on it; then you have the original defective disc.
Old 02-27-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The limited edition is officially "Out-Of-Print" as of the 1st of the year. Though many vendors still stock it (DeepDiscountDVD has for $17.99).

I don't think Opera is OOP so it shouldn't be a problem with AB replacing your disc. You just need to make sure you send it to the right place so you'll get the replacement quickly. I was just happy to be able to keep the case.
Old 02-27-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcarver
The limited edition is officially "Out-Of-Print" as of the 1st of the year. Though many vendors still stock it (DeepDiscountDVD has for $17.99).
Ah, wasn't sure if it had gone officiall OOP. When you still it out on shelves it kinda throws ya off
Old 02-27-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If the DVD (the actual disc itself) does not have a red circle with an O on it; then you have the original defective disc.
Thanks for that tip! I looked at my 1-disc edition of Opera and the disc had a red circle with a white "O" in it near the bottom (artside). The 2 disc I bought the other day does not.
Old 02-27-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie, btw, one of Argento's better efforts. The Eye needle things are so awesome and memorable
Old 02-27-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yup, I remember buying this nice Argento set back about the time of it's release. After reporting it to AB, they had me set-up with a problem free edition with very little waiting time. As TO said earlier...it was painless.
Old 02-27-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
well I got it used, so I'm guessing it won't have that sticker? it's weird that it won't play in any of the players I have tried it in. I have discs that are in worse shape and they still play. I sent some sort of disc report problem that anchor bay has you fill on the site, hopefully they will respond.
I guess Ab changed their defective Dvd thing. You used to just put in a title or spine number and it would tell you to send it in for replacement if there had been a problem. I think I have sent in about 3 or 4 discs for replacement including Opera. I think they will probably replace if it is still available even if you bought it used. I think you just had to tell them on this title but others they wanted the orignal disc sent to them first.
Old 03-01-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TomOpus, when did your send your DVD out?
Old 03-01-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
TomOpus, when did your send your DVD out?
Man, you're asking a lot there It was probably... around Sept or Oct of 2002. I tried to find the thread that talked about it but it might be long gone.
Old 03-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, you're asking a lot there It was probably... around Sept or Oct of 2002. I tried to find the thread that talked about it but it might be long gone.
haha I didn't realize it was so long ago. I am finding out that Anchor Bay's customer service is really hard to get a hold of. They still haven't answered my emails about the problem, and their over the phone service is lame. hopefully I get some response soon or back to the store for a refund it goes.
Old 03-02-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing you might try is sending a letter to the address in the link to the original Opera replacement program. Maybe they will respond with a letter back so at least you could find out if that address is still accepting returns.

Anyway, hope you find some help soon.
Old 09-11-05, 05:19 AM

Ok, I need to resurrect this thread wondering whether that 2005-return worked out, asianxcore?!

Since I still have two defective LEs sitting around I would really like to get working discs for those.

Thanks,

S
Old 09-11-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suspiria Problem

Just a related query. I have the OOP Suspiria LE and have since it came out. A couple of days ago I popped it in for the first time in a year or so and now it locks up around the 24 minute mark and eventually jumps 4 minutes ahead. I hadn't heard of DVD rot problems with this title, but of course other Anchor Bay discs have been problematic. So, do you think this is something Anchor Bay would take care of. I'd assume the 1 disc movie only edition is exactly the same as the 1st disc of my set (diff. disc art?) and I believe that is still in print so maybe they could help me out. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-11-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Summerwine
Ok, I need to resurrect this thread wondering whether that 2005-return worked out, asianxcore?!

Since I still have two defective LEs sitting around I would really like to get working discs for those.

Thanks,

S
I tried to contact them for quite some time to no avail . They never answered my email. I will probably try sometime soon.
Old 10-31-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

update for all of those who are interested. finally got an email back (2 actually) from Anchor Bay on where to send my Opera disc for a replacement. took a while but it's nice to finally get a response. if anyone needs the address to send it to, just reply to this thread.
Old 11-01-05, 01:01 AM

Hey asianxore, excellent news! Let me know please, still have two of them sitting here in their miserable defective state... .

S

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.